Latex failure

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

A couple things:

A tube that is properly encased in a tire/rim is under very little stress (like almost zero).
Either the tube was improperly installed or hole was suddenly created in the tire/rim.
If the later did not occur, then revisit your installation procedure. The tube may not have been properly seated at the valve, causing the tube to fold under itself and stretch at that point. The tube must be installed with adequate pressure for it to have shape, and you must ensure that the sits straight (not twisted or folded), and the valve area must be pressed against the rim before inflating.
formerly rruff...

em3

by em3

ticou wrote:The sole advantage tubsies have, is to run at 130 psi, and the steel frames to massage it on the road.

If you are running tubulars at 130 PSI you are missing the point of running tubulars in the first place.
EM3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

WMW wrote:A couple things:

A tube that is properly encased in a tire/rim is under very little stress (like almost zero).
Either the tube was improperly installed or hole was suddenly created in the tire/rim.
If the later did not occur, then revisit your installation procedure. The tube may not have been properly seated at the valve, causing the tube to fold under itself and stretch at that point. The tube must be installed with adequate pressure for it to have shape, and you must ensure that the sits straight (not twisted or folded), and the valve area must be pressed against the rim before inflating.

Agreed 100%.

The problem with the Michelin latex inner tubes however is that they're just too long making correct installation nigh impossible.
One possible solution to that is to opt for the smaller 18/20 model if you can find it.
Yet an other option is to cut the inner tube, remove whatever amount of slack there is and glue it back together. It's not that hard to do.

Of course the easiest way of all is to avoid those green latex inner tubes (which really are inferior latex tubes to begin with) and get yourself the real thing as used in top quality tubular tyres namely Vredestein latex inner tubes. They're way lighter too.

@szculdo: From looking at the pic of your inner tube I can assure you that it was neither heat, nor excessive braking that made it blow up.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

djconnel

by djconnel

I've had great experience with the Champion tubes, poor with the Michelins. They don't age well, but if you trust Al Morrison's tests, the reduction in rolling resistance is substantial, and they likely reduce the rate of flats due to their increased suppleness.

You do need to take care installing them.

ticou

by ticou

em3 wrote:
ticou wrote:The sole advantage tubsies have, is to run at 130 psi, and the steel frames to massage it on the road.

If you are running tubulars at 130 PSI you are missing the point of running tubulars in the first place.
EM3

No, I'm just riding standard ZX's with light inner tubes.

ms6073

by ms6073

djconnel wrote:I've had great experience with the Champion tubes, poor with the Michelins.
Champion tubes? Is that a typo were you meant to type Challenge latex tubes?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

ave

by ave

I use Michelin latex inners only.

Once I was taking off the outer Michelin Pro 3, because it was worn out.
I found that I had installed the inner incorrectly, it was pinched between the rim and the Pro 3.
It did not flat for thousands of kilometers. Must have been very lucky, or maybe they are not that fragile.

em3

by em3

I too have been using Michelin latex for about 15 years, with thousands of miles of trouble free and reliable service, and not one single failure. I can't find anyone in US who stocks them anymore...been relying on Ribble in UK for spares.
EM3

ms6073

by ms6073

ave wrote:I use Michelin latex inners... it was pinched between the rim

I know first hand that Challenge and Michellin latex tubes are not overly fragile having had similar experiences for both manufacturers latex inner tubes with narrower Reynolds Assault/DV46/SDV66 carbon clincher rims but was not as fortunate. Unfortunately on a couple different occasions the tubes did finally flat, typically in a very spectacular fashion with a loud report which shredded the sidewalls of Veloflex and Challenge open tubular tires. Since switching to wider Zipp 303 Firecrest wheels, although I have had a flat due to staples on the road surface, I have yet to observe a single instance of pinching of the latex tubes with either Challenge or Michellin latex tubes.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

markyboy

by markyboy

I have had the same happen to my michelin tube,just after
fitting them i pumped it up to 120 psi and it started to leak.
It went down quite quick,i then took it out and it had a hole
in the same place as shown in your pic :noidea:
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2