Mavic Shoe Question....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dwn2sk8

by dwn2sk8

I am trying to decide on which Mavic shoes to get. Unfortunately I am unable to try them on before buying them, as none of the shops around here carry them.
I am trying to decide between the Zxellium and Zxellium Ultimate. I know that the top of the Ultimate is stiffer, but how much more so? Does this stiffness make them any less comfortable than the regular Zxellium?
Someone who has worn them both would be most helpful.
Thank you very much!
:beerchug:

Marzz

by Marzz

One thing to realise with Mavic..very narrow.
S-Works Venge

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dwn2sk8

by dwn2sk8

I am trying to decide on which Mavic shoes to get. Unfortunately I am unable to try them on before buying them, as none of the shops around here carry them.
I am trying to decide between the Zxellium and Zxellium Ultimate. I know that the top of the Ultimate is stiffer, but how much more so? Does this stiffness make them any less comfortable than the regular Zxellium?
Someone who has worn them both would be most helpful.
Thank you very much!
:beerchug:

dwn2sk8

by dwn2sk8

I've heard that they are not as narrow as Sidi. True?

MavicZack
in the industry

by MavicZack

To be quite candid, the fits on both of these shoes are in fact fairly narrow/low volume. I can't speak for the Sidi shoes, but the high end Mavic footwear is pretty slim. And, the Zxellium Ultimate upper is significantly more robust/less flexible than the Zxellium, so the Ultimate can feel even more slim than it actually is.

For about 75% of riders, this works great. Personally, I have a wide forefoot and the original fits were too narrow.

I'm happy to say that starting NOW (MY13), we have 3 models in a wider, 'maxi' fit. Based on the same sole plate, the Zxellium Maxi adds 2mm in width across the widest portion, and 10mm in circumference (volume) across the widest part. It doesn't sound like much, but it makes a HUGE difference.
( the other Maxi models available are Rush and Avenge).

I would steer you to try the standard Zxellium. It's comfortable and slipper-like.
If the fit works and you want something substantially more rigid, the Ultimate would be the way to go, if you can do an exchange via mail order.
And if the original Zxellium feels to narrow, I guarantee the Maxi version will work.

hope it helps! - z
USA Communications Guy
Mavic, Inc.
http://www.mavic.com
http://www.facebook.com/mavic

dwn2sk8

by dwn2sk8

Very helpful. Thank you very much!

VNTech

by VNTech

Despite changing the shape a bit, Mavic still have a very narrow toe box. If that works for you, either shoe will be comfortable. If you are on the edge, the regular Zxellium, with the softer upper, will stretch and conform to your foot better. I prefer the Huez, actually, for that reason. My pair is molded to my foot now.
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

dwn2sk8

by dwn2sk8

Thanks VNTech. How is the fit? I am ordering from a retailer who allows returns, but would prefer not to have to send them back if I don't have to. I've heard mixed things, but the general consensus seems to be that they run pretty true to size. I wear an 8.5 or 9 in sneakers...

VNTech

by VNTech

Yep, they're true to size.
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

I will add that the Zxellium has very little arch support and I had massive cleat rocking problems with speedplay cleats that I didn't have with my Diadora shoes. I switched to look pedals, tried different insoles, got a fitting, but could never get on with the shoes. I was absolutely thrilled to finally get rid of them and not have to look at the demonic things ever again. Other people have better experiences with them it seems. :noidea:

mxdclt

by mxdclt

I have the Zxelliums and have been riding them for a little over two years. Have had no problem with them at all and they were plenty stiff and light enough for me. Having not seen or ridden the Ultimates I can't say anything about them but I can't imagine they could be that much better to warrant the extra $ (mind you this is purely an opinion as the Ultimates may be a far superior shoe, I just can't imagine how the Zxellium could be improved on that much). I just recently replaced them as the upper had become a bit worn and I replaced them with Bont Vaypors. The only reason for changing shoes was because I got a good deal on them and I was curious, this had absolutely nothing to do with me not liking the Zxellium. If you do get them you should get the all yellow ones because they look great! Good Luck, and I hope this helped a little.

duz10s

by duz10s

Marzz wrote:One thing to realise with Mavic..very narrow.

This is not true, I have very wide feet and don't find Mavic at all narrow, if fact very very comfy, Sidi and other's much more narrow.
2015 RCA with Di2

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

To the OP, you don't need multiple threads.

Grazie.

dwn2sk8

by dwn2sk8

You also don't need to quote the above post.

I realize that. I thought maybe I had originally posted it under the wrong forum category, but then didn't know how to delete it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

There is a 'report' button for that.

Or you can drop one of us a DM...