best alloy road bike of 2012

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

So in that case, anything really. It's really a wash and there won't be a major difference between frames. You may want to look up warranty replacement on frames though (more specifically how they treat customers from your country) - that may be the 'best' for you.

Otherwise, I would recommend going with a custom Tsunami if you're riding something that often and over rough roads, he can build it up to your specs and choose tubing specifically to you (the rider) and to the roads (of India). Aero tubing is also possible if that's important to you.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

How about a Stoemper Darrel, Spooky Havocstaff or Gaulzetti Corsa?

EDIT: Nevermind.....just saw the bit about India. However, the terrain you encounter sounds ready-made for custom steel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RAFIUDEEN

by RAFIUDEEN

btompkins0112 wrote:How about a Stoemper Darrel, Spooky Havocstaff or Gaulzetti Corsa?

EDIT: Nevermind.....just saw the bit about India. However, the terrain you encounter sounds ready-made for custom steel.

agree completely but dont like the spongy feel of steel love carbon which is stiff alloy s1 was great till this happened any ways looking out for one and besides when we go out of the city on highways maan alloy and carbon comes to life :)

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

mrfish wrote:I think buying a highly engineeered Aluminium bike makes less rational sense once it costs more than buying a cheap carbon bike, e.g. Chinese or Planet X,

Given the frame is the most important choice with regards to a bike, could not agree less.

timzcat

by timzcat

I've had an S1 and a BBright R3 and honestly think my rain/winter bike rides better then both of them.
What is it you ask? It is a CAAD 9! I honestly don't mind getting on the CAAD 9 when necessary and my fair weather bike cost much more.

CrimsonKarter21

by CrimsonKarter21

I'm still loving my Spooky Skeletor. If you're into that BB30 nonsense, then the Havocstaff is for you.

durianrider

by durianrider

Giant claim their TCR alloy is better than most carbon superbikes..

http://winwithgiant.com/
My YT channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow me on Strava
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600

deltasierra

by deltasierra

Can Giant AL be purchased as frameset?

ticou

by ticou

RAFIUDEEN wrote:
btompkins0112 wrote:How about a Stoemper Darrel, Spooky Havocstaff or Gaulzetti Corsa?

agree completely but dont like the spongy feel of steel love carbon which is stiff alloy s1 was great till this happened any ways looking out for one and besides when we go out of the city on highways maan alloy and carbon comes to life :)

Spongy feel of steel? There ain't nothing spongy about my Dedaccai zero replica.Sacriledge!!

Zachariah

by Zachariah

Cannondale is the Porsche, of aluminum fabrication and development. They have that alloy down to an art form and science. Every bend, curve and tube shape/size is carefully thought-out, and obsessively tested.

The CAADX is the direct result, of all those years of experience. Or, as Porsche succinctly puts it. "Everything we ever knew...is now in your hands."
Due to the urging of all the ladies...I do NOT shave my legs!

CimaCoppi

by CimaCoppi

durianrider wrote:Giant claim their TCR alloy is better than most carbon superbikes..

http://winwithgiant.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gotta be careful with most of these "claims".... notice they add 250grams for a seatpost in their weight comparison. I think if you're buying the bikes listed... you're not putting a 250g seatpost in that thing. And they don't talk about the ISP top.

Looks like the SuperSix EVO would actually be the lightest on their list.

Edit Note: I realize you probably weren't looking to start a conversation about the legitimacy of their data... I just thought it was funny the logic used.

RAFIUDEEN

by RAFIUDEEN

Ok guys next step i have located the frame set of cannondale caad 10 frame size 50 in one o the stores was very difficult finding a frameset as cannondale mostly very keen on selling complete bikes ,did not get the color of my choice but who the hell gets all that he wants in life so i went with the liquigas team replica colors on the bike.paid a up advance on the frame set will pick it up in a couple of weeks ....any suggestions planning to put all the parts which i have from my cervelo s1 on it except the seat post,any one with a suggestion of a good seat post thanks and do reflect on whether my choice is correct or not and i did go with majority of the people who suggested it should be cannondale caad 10 so lets see guys ......

53x12

by 53x12

^ Depends on your budget. If you want used, look on eBay or the listings here on WW. If you want new, Enve makes nice products.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

53x12

by 53x12

durianrider wrote:Giant claim their TCR alloy is better than most carbon superbikes..

http://winwithgiant.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Such a cheesy video, it hurts my eyes and ears. I know much of this business is about marketing and how you spin data to make your bike look the best and fastest. But ultimately, this presentation by Giant isn't even worth watching due to the way they compare bikes. Sad.

If you want alloy road bike, for me only one name comes to the table. Cannondale. They have it down to an art. They have been doing this for a long time and really provide the best bang for the buck. I'm sure others put out good products, but I would stick with the tried and true.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boombaux

by boombaux

for $3000 why not just buy a custom titanium frame?