Question for Look 695 Owners

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

shn750

by shn750

Hello.

For those that have a 695, can you tell me the height of the carbon spacer that goes under the C-stem? Also whats the gap between that carbon spacer and the rubber cover? I guess what I need to know is the height from the bottom of the c-stem to the top of the headtube.

Thanks!

Wcl4

by Wcl4

About 25mm

15mm for carbon spacer and another cm give or take for the rubber gasket.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tumppi

by Tumppi

Spacer is 15mm. Rubber cover is nothing. You can push the stem towards it or remove it off if you like. I have cut the fork pipe those 15mm and removed spacer. Also my c-stem is -9 degrees position.

Is it possible to cut 2mm more, but that's all you can do.

Pics in my signature. But here is one full res.
http://www.pellossalo.fi/content/uploads/images/full/20120513_003.jpg

Tumppi

shn750

by shn750

Thanks for the measurements. It seems like that carbon spacer is not "load bearing" because the c-stem camps directly on the steerer tube and the compression of fork is done in the headset. Is the carbon spacer, therefore, just secured by the rubber spacer pressing down on it? Can you wiggle the carbon spacer with your hands because of this?

With that being said, could you theoretically cut the carbon spacer to say 10mm (grinding down 5mm) and cut the steer tube the down the same 5mm?

Also if you were to run a standard stem in the future, would you need a compression plug or can you still use the proprietary headset compression method, install a standard concial headtube cap/spacer, then mount a standard stem without using a compression plug inside the steerer tube?

Thanks!
Steve