Cateye Stealth 50

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brettmess24

by brettmess24

Anyone have the word on this? I have heard $150 and will be out this Friday but can't confirm.

Website says this spring...

http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/CC-GL50/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

headwind816

by headwind816

I too am interested; my LBS says it is not available until June ... do not know truth or fiction on the date.

brettmess24

by brettmess24

I guess nobody knows.....

Lewis

by Lewis

I've been thinking of buying a GPS for for a while now, and following a Strava episode where my pals Garmin showed he had climbed over 1000ft more than me even though I'd ridden an extra 25 miles (I was using an iPhone 5) I decided to get a Dedicated GPS computer to avoid any in accuracy with my measurements. I decided go with a Cateye Stealth 50 over one of the Garmin units as I prefer the cleaner design, didn't think I'd need all the extra functions offered by the Garmin, but mainly it was under £100 which in my mind isn't too bad for one of these.

Anyway, got it this week and overall I'm impressed with design and features. It's a little chunky underneath and I'm wondering if they could've made it slimmer somehow, but in guessing there's only so small these things can be.

Tested it this week riding to work and uploaded a ride home to Strava the other night. So far so good. I have noticed that mine seems to take bloody ages to find a signal (over 3-5minutes) which leads me on to my next problem.

Rode to work yesterday, switched it off when I arrived (you have to do this to stop it recording which is a bit annoying, I get off my bike at the front door then walk through the office to put the bike in the gym but the cateye starts recording again if on) so the idea was to turn it off, then turn it on again after work to record the entire journey. So left work, and Took a detour home as it was a lovely evening to ride. I also recorded the ride using my iPhone on Strava which placed me perfectly on the route, however, when I uploaded the detail from the Cateye although the distance was about right, it placed me absolutely miles away in another part of the country?? No idea what the issue is, because it worked fine on the first ride? Also today it just isn't finding a GPS signal when I turn it on.

Has anyone else had any issues with theirs? I really want to like it but I hate buying things that don't work properly. I was considering chopping it in for a Garmin 510 but it is bigger, fatter, I don't like the fact it's white underneath (I prefer clean simple uncluttered design), but even so the Garmin is well rated by others so may have to suck it up!

Finally anyone know where the Garmins are made? Cateye used to be made in Japan (my Strada wireless is Japanese) but the Stealth is Chinese junk. Dissapointed overall, maybe I just have a duff one but I've read other reports of people having issues with theirs picking up a signal, and I also think the front button should enable you to pause recording as its a bit irritating having to *f##k* about turning it off to stop it if you want a continuous ride with a break in the middle (I.e. to and from work).

Thanks
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

Liggero

by Liggero

all stuff is chinese nowadays, and it is not related to quality.

I would sell it if it doesn't get better, and get a garmin edge 500 or 200, which are way better and as cheap. 510 is bigger and more expensive, but the 200 i think is same price as that cateye, if you get it through ebay.
Happy Trails !!!

Lewis

by Lewis

Tired it again tonight in the car driving to my parents house for dinner. Still placing me over near London when i'm actually based in herts - seems its screwed!! Will have to send it back to the shop next week and possibly exchange or get a Garmin. May try an exchange first then if that one still isn't working chop it in for a 500 or 510.

Does anyone else have one of these, surely there must be someone! :|
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

uraqt

by uraqt

Lewis,

The Cateye Stealth 10 / 50 are brand new, so you might be the only one on the board that has one. As for 3 to 5 mins to find the sats. My 910 takes about 2 mins if I am standing in the "right" place, longer if I am not. It is kinda a trade off, I want to see it "get" the sats but don't want to wait. :)

The 50 is the lowest priced ant+ GPS you can buy. I was going to wait till they were released, but I got a gift card and went garmin...

C

Lewis

by Lewis

Do not quote above

Brand new and clearly not ready for distribution as they don't work properly. Did an 85 mile ride today and it again placed me in the wrong place. It's odd as the map of the ride is the same as my iPhone recorded Strava one, just upside down / mirrored / and in the wrong part of the country. So it obviously works in one sense but not properly. Disappointing I must say. I will send it back next week and see if another one works, if not, it's binned and i'll go for a Garmin. Just prefer the design of the stealth.
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

@Lewis, bear in mind there have been numerous firmware updates for Garmins. I've got a Bryton that has had quite a few as well. It seems to be the nature of the industry.

Regarding the picking up of satellites, the Bryton I've got was set on a power saving mode by default. When set to full power it finds the satellites quickly and rarely has issues with mapping but probably at the cost of battery life.
I wonder if there's a setting on the Cateye?

I've always liked Cateye computers and was interested in getting one of these due to the small form-factor.
The claimed battery life of 10 hours (probably less in reality) is off-putting but understandable I suppose due to the size.
Last edited by 5 8 5 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lewis

by Lewis

HI, I read through the instructions thoroughly (it's not as adavanced as the Garmin by any stretch) and it was definitely set correctly. The fact it placed me in the wrong part of England means something is wrong with it. Sent it back yesterday so we'll see. Other than that I liked it. Shame as I would have kept it otherwise.
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

headwind816

by headwind816

My unit arrived yesterday, and I hope to snag it later today. I will post feedback in the coming days.

FYI, I am in the Kansas City, MO (U.S.A.) area. Considering Garmin HQ is here, I hope satellite mapping is not an issue but who knows ... well, I will in a few days, lol.

Lewis

by Lewis

Hi, good luck with yours then. I will be interested to know how you get on!

I got another replacement Stealth 50 today and it still isn't working. Still placing me in the wrong location!!!!! *f##k* that I am buying a Garmin. I have emailed Catyeye as I am so pissed off. I have a big ride tomorrow and wanted a GPS to use without raping my iphone battery. Guess i'll have to use that for now, at least it works!! :-|

I recommend nobody wastes their time with these as they obviously have a faulty batch / design issues.
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

Lewis

by Lewis

Update on this today. I have an Apple Mac so I thought I'd try uploading the trip data using the girlfriends pc. It seems to put me in the correct location when uploading to the pc but not the mac. Also I didn't reset the trip until I got home but it lost half the ride. No idea what is up with this thing it's junk!
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

brettmess24

by brettmess24

I guess I am glad I bought the 510 now. Took a bit to get used to but so far so good. Like the bluetooth update to the iphone etc.. Still run strava on the phone.

Lewis

by Lewis

I am on my 3rd Stealth 50 now, and have a long ride Saturday so will see whether it works and doesn't lose any of the ride. Still have the same issue with it on my Mac though! Hopefully Cateye can sort this with a firmware upgrade. Surprised you yanks haven't had any grief with it yet as you all use Macs right? :P

How do you find the 510? I was considering one, but this whole palava has made me kinda hate GPS now!! Is it reliable and have you been able to record your rides accurately so far?

Thanks
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com