2013 Specialized Allez Race vs 2012 CAAD 10

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ceebers1

by Ceebers1

Specialized has a pretty decent warranty dept. I have never had them deny a frame or component claim when it was in fact faulty.

Cannondale's warranty dept. is better than it was when they first restructured, unless you have a suspension issue.

The new E5 Allez looks nice, and the smartweld joinery along with hydroforming make they construction seem almost monocoque. I haven't had a chance to ride one yet, but it looks very similar to the Tarmac. -The Caad 10 is the go-to Al bike and I haven't run into anyone who owned one and didn't like it.

That being said, I don't think anyone can decide between 2 bikes properly without getting a good ride on both.

VNTech

by VNTech

tranzformer wrote:I think most people on here are talking about the 2013 Allez which was released in summer of 2012 and uses the new "smart weld" process. Unless you are referring to a newer frame?

Nope, that's the one I'm referring to as well. Just noting that if you rode one before late summer '12, it's a totally different bike.
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AblackSEA

by AblackSEA

Hey guys

has anyone had a chance to ride both of these frames, currently in the process of choosing a frame to build up hopefully low 7's and looking at these as ill soon be racing for the first time in the season coming.

plan is to set the frame up with:

ultegra 6800
cages: bontrager xxx 14g ea
pedals: time expresso 8 ( considering getting 12's though)
saddle: fizik arione 200g
stem: ritchey wcs 260 wet black 100mm 100g
handlebar: fsa k force new ergo 195g
cables: Aican Bungarus shift/brake kit
wheelset: campagnolo scirocco 35
tyres: schwalbe ultremo zx hd folding (198g/196g)
tubes: conti supersonic's
bar tape: fizik superlight
and will also eventually replace the seat post with a ritchey super logic

:lol:

Boss

by Boss

Sounds like a pretty sweet set up you have planned! I have ridden both frames before. Both would be very adequate for getting into racing.
The Allez as you probably know is basically an alloy version of the carbon Tarmac so if it's the race geometry you're after that'd be a good way to go. It feels very much like the Tarmac in the way it rides, obviously a little bit heavier and less stiff but all up designed under the same race focus making it a fast ride. Despite this it was not uncomfortable to ride, no where near as relaxed as the Secteur or Roubaix but still smooth.
The CAAD 10 frame is a little lighter than the Allez. The geometry is different too as the head tube is slightly taller, making it a bit more of an all rounder than a racer. As far as ride quality goes, the CAAD 10 is definitely smoother but does not seem to sacrifice too much stiffness so still feels fast. As you are probably aware the CAAD 10 is also more expensive. However if you're after a classic look then you really can't go past the Cannondale frame.
So all up, both would be suitable frames for what you are planning. If it's value for money you're after and don't mind the look of the Allex (they have some good colour schemes for 2014) then I would go the Allez. On the other hand if you like the look of the CAAD 10, can get you're desired set up on the geometry it provides and can afford the lighter frame it provides - go for the Cannondale.

JackWalk

by JackWalk

Stuff"em both and buy a scott foil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devon

by Devon

JackWalk wrote:Stuff"em both and buy a scott foil

+1 definately agree with that. Otherwise I'd go for the CAAD. Much better bike for the money. My partner recently went for a CAAD over the Specialized versions.

CAAD10 is much lighter too I believe; the Aluminium version is lighter than many Carbon frames (I have been told).

rijndael

by rijndael

Devon wrote:CAAD10 is much lighter too I believe;

a 50cm CAAD10 frame is ~1150g.

Sqzdachrmn

by Sqzdachrmn

Love my caad 10, very fast bike! I have an S5 VWD. The caad is faster! Climbs better, sprints better suits my ride style better.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

A 56cm CAAD is roughly 1200g depending on the paint option. I believe I saw the 56 Allez was somewhere in the area of 1300 depending on paint, but feel free to correct me on that if someone has the actual weight. Really, I think the weight difference is negligible enough to make it a moot point (less than 100g difference).

I have ridden both and think that the CAAD is a superior bike overall, granted my time on the Allez was minimal compared to my two CAADs. The CAAD makes a great race frame since it shares its geometry with the EVO, similarly to the Allez's shared geometry with the Tarmac. From the longer term impressions that I have heard definitely favor the CAAD, many think that the Allez has subpar power transfer comparatively.

All that being said, the bikes have wildly different geometries, and the best frame for you is going to be determined by your riding style and your fit. A bike that is 100g less and fits like crap is not going to make you as satisfied as a heavier bike that fits like an old catchers mit.

RichieE46

by RichieE46

Yea like btomkins said... Make sure to try them both out.

I tried out both when I was shopping and preferred the caad personally compared to allez

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

SUCycling88

by SUCycling88

Boss wrote:The CAAD 10 frame is a little lighter than the Allez. The geometry is different too as the head tube is slightly taller, making it a bit more of an all rounder than a racer.

I sure hope you meant the Allez is more relaxed being the Caad 10 head tube is significantly shorter and quite a bit more aggressive than the Allez...

53x12

by 53x12

Allez S-Works frame comes in around 1060-1070g for the frame with seat post clamp: http://youtu.be/6Ji0FL8zJfQ?t=2m25s

The Allez E-5 Smartweld comes in around around 1180g in size 52.

I was thinking about the Allez Smartweld. I think it is a great frame and well worth considering if you want a race inspired aluminum frame. For $880, I think it is a great price.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

53x12

by 53x12

JackWalk wrote:Stuff"em both and buy a scott foil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meh, Scott foil. If you want a real aero bike get the Cervelo S5 or the new Felt AR. Foil is overrated imo. I would personally rather get the new Scott Addict SL if I had to stick with a Scott frame.

There are plenty of people that want an aluminum frame over a carbon frame. Lower cost. Less need to worry about crashing your frame and being out $3-4k for the frame when you can buy a new frame for $800. I say stuff the carbon Foil.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

2tonGorilla

by 2tonGorilla

Ride the one that fits, I have a Caad10 and the fit is EH. Wish I went with the Smartweld. Specialized GEO fits me better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sqzdachrmn

by Sqzdachrmn

S5 vwd is a noodle! Front end and bottom bracket...low watt and skinny guys fine.