Tyres - Good All Rounder

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

viney

by viney

Just did a ride this morning, weather was okay. Went over a drain cover and whoosh, rear tyre split and beyond repair unfortunately. Swapped the front and rear tyres around and complete my ride, but tyre is knackered!

I'm running the Scwalbe Ultremo R clinchers latest version and only had them about 6 weeks and they're not cheap. I personally think they're a bit too weak for everyday use and the roads where I live probably aren't the best either!

Can anyone recommend something else that I might try, which would be a good all-rounder, but a little more hard wearing.

I also had the same problem with Michelin Pro Race too, so I'm not too keen on those either.

Cheers

Paul

there are many ,many topics on this. Please use search

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Michelin Speedium 2 cheap every day tire
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

viney

by viney

Are they fairly hard wearing?

I'm after something, which is going to last for more than 5 minutes. I don't think the Schwalbe ones are that durable.

bman11

by bman11

I have been riding on continental 4000S for the last 4 + years. I am extremely happy with the performance, both in the dry and the wet. They wear incredibly well, and are quite puncture resistant. I have used the 23C and 25C, both are fantastic.
Just dig in and climb it!!!

Kastrup

by Kastrup

Continental GP 4000s, a little more expensive than the cheap options but well worth the price. Or the Michelin Krylion Carbon, hard wearing and fairly swift.
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

ticou

by ticou

Had a puncture on my Ultremo zx this pm, couldn't see the hole, a kindly cyclist turned up with a new innertube, but boy were they fun at 130 p.s.i!

Agree with the others, it's gp4000's all the way- I'll swap 'em over tomorrow.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

viney wrote:Are they fairly hard wearing?

I'm after something, which is going to last for more than 5 minutes. I don't think the Schwalbe ones are that durable.

Yes they are. Easy 3000 miles out of them.
I also like to Continental 4000 s. They also last pretty well and are a good all around tire.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree