Thinking of changing Tarmac Race SL2 frame to S-Works Allez

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

I've started using my winter bike over the weekend, Specialized Allez come, E5 alloy frame. My summer bike is a Specialized Tarmac Come /race, 2012. With the SL2 carbon frame, but after using my winter bike, I'm seriously thinking of selling this SL2 frame. And buying the Specialized S-Works Allez frame set, swapping over all of the components onto this new frame. I understand that the Specialized S-Works Allez frame set is alloy, but will I notice any difference between the two frames? Will this new frame be much lighter than the SL2 frame? Comparing my current two bikes, I actually think that the Allez E5, rides better. Stiffer, not as smooth on really bad surfaces, but not by much. Any comments, and advice really appreciated.

Thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mdusink

by mdusink

I ride a 56 tarmac sl2 and I think it's about 1600/1650 grams. So you should be able to save some weight. Ride quality any concerns?

milehighcyclist

by milehighcyclist

Ive ridden my friends s works tarmac for around 250 miles (not the the new tarmac) and thought it was harsher than my caad10. I had a Supersix that I sold because I thought the aluminum caad10 rode just as nice and was cheaper. I think you will be happy with the s-works allez and its ride quality. I dont notice much of a difference between the carbon frames ive ridden and the aluminum one I own. But maybe thats because the caad10 is such an amazing bike :noidea:

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

My thoughts on the S-works Allez and how it compared (for me) to the Tarmac.

viewtopic.php?p=1033343#p1033343

viewtopic.php?p=1001298#p1001298

And plenty of other people's thoughts. A search will reveal more and give you a better idea of what to choose a little quicker I'd say ;)

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

Well, just been at the Local Specialized store. And the staff member was very helpful, he advised me that Specialized are launching the Smart weld race as a frame in 2015. The only difference is, 100grams in weight difference. No ceramic bottom bearing and alloy steer tube. Worth nearly double the cost? S works frame £1500, race £800. And to be honest the race looks nicer, all black with black decals. Any thoughts? Also, what would I ask for my SL2 frame, 3 months old and immaculate?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Here are present Allez (non S-Works) weights.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120110

With, from what I have seen/been told, the S-Works coming in at just over 1000g. So if there has been another 100g dropped from the Race frame, the $/gram saving could be better spent elsewhere.

Your should be able to get enough for the SL2 to leave you cost neutral changing over to the Race.

For further thoughts, you could try reading the linked threads ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com