What tires do you train/race on?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrfish

by mrfish

Tyres that grip in the wet are much cheaper than new kit or time off work and time with the dentist, so I standardised on Veloflex Carbons last year, before that I used Michelin Pro race 3. According to Tour tests Conti GP4000s or Attack / Force are the best, so I will try them next.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

I may be in the minority, but I've always had great success training on Vittoria Rally - cheap ($25 - $30) and durable. A tad heavy at about 300g, but for training it's fine. Can't speak to grip in the rain, but I have gone three seasons without a flat. Nice roads out here... :-)

notsoswift

by notsoswift

mrfish wrote:Tyres that grip in the wet are much cheaper than new kit or time off work and time with the dentist, so I standardised on Veloflex Carbons last year, before that I used Michelin Pro race 3. According to Tour tests Conti GP4000s or Attack / Force are the best, so I will try them next.

Back when I raced on clinchers I used Attack/Force and (old pre Chilli) GP4000
I think the Attack Force combo is really underrated, I only had one set of wheels and they did everything without a problem, not too many flats either.
Only reason I have Gators on the wet bike is because I don't care about the extra weight for training and wanted something that just kept going.