What tires do you train/race on?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

I'd love to get your input into some tire selection exercise I am doing. Can you please specify what tires you use for different activities like:

road training
road racing

If you use different tires for different conditions (summer, spring/fall, winter, kermesse races, TT, ...) please specify too.

Many thx
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

ghostrider1tm

by ghostrider1tm

i train on michelin krylion/endurance4's. i have found these to offer excellent flat protection and also are high mileage. I get 2000-2500miles per tire. they handle well in all conditions.
i race on vittoria open pro tubulars 320tpi 23mm. i use the wider tubulars because i run newer wider rims that require a wider tire. the only i change for different conditions is the amount of pressure i put in my tires. for tt's or road races with few turns where handling or cornering isn't an issue i run higher pressures 120lbs(i only weigh 145lbs) for crits or technical rr's i run 105-110lbs of pressure. also on courses with rain or poor road surface i run lower pressure for a better contact patch and less harsh ride, 105-110lbs. it should also be noted that based on your weight is how much pressure you can/should run. that's to say i'm light so i run lower pressures. if you're a bigger guy you can run higher pressures(within reason) so if you're say 180lbs on a technical crit course then 120lbs maybe appropriate for you but would be too high for me

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Perhaps I should enter my data as well :)

Road training summer: Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX II 23mm
Road training non-summer: Michelin Krylion Carbon 23mm
Road Race: Vittoria Corsa Evo CX II 23mm tubular
TT: Continental Sprinter 22mm tubular
Kermesse: Challenge Parigi-Roubaix 27mm tubular
www.tiremaniacs.com

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Conti GP4000S. Race and train.

Maybe 1500 rear, 2500 miles front?

Never compromise!

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Veloflex Corsa 23 for racing and training.

Tires are peanuts in the grand scheme of things. Might as well enjoy each ride to its max.

stevem

by stevem

Conti Attack & Force

Race and Training tyre,
Been using this combo for years.
soulmates never die

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I've grown to really dig Contis over the years, and have use a number of different products, including more recently 28mm 4-Seasons and Attack/Force clinchers as well as Competition tubulars.

The 4-Seasons are great, not a single flat the whole last winter (would not be enjoyable at conditions including below 5°C in the dark). And there's lots of grit on the roads, the didn't even get cut up. Used them only in training.

Attack/Force, while excellent rolling tyres, I've found to be on the more fragile side.

Conti comps are just plain awesome. They are fast, tough, grippy, and have a broad range of pressure they work with. Been riding the 22mm ones at very low pressures occasionally, around 5bar or slightly below even, and they still worked great. Normally around 7bar. Spent most of the time since spring on them without a flat. (Not living in a very flat prone area, but never say never).

Want to try some Veloflex or Vittoria tubs next year.

eric

by eric

Train on GP4000s.

Race on Michelin PR3/4, or Vittoria tubulars.

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Great info guys. THX!!!! Keep it coming.
www.tiremaniacs.com

Grill

by Grill

I do everything on Michelin Pro4. 2000 miles and still good. May switch to GP4000s for the winter as I have a pair that are taking up space.

Interested to try the new Pro4 when it's released next month as it rains a lot out here.

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Grill wrote:I do everything on Michelin Pro4. 2000 miles and still good. May switch to GP4000s for the winter as I have a pair that are taking up space.

Interested to try the new Pro4 when it's released next month as it rains a lot out here.

Yes, I wonder too how the new Comp and Comp LTD will roll. Thx Grill
www.tiremaniacs.com

theremery

by theremery

Race and train on veloflex corsa/master and decent tubes. I'll puncture out training a few more times than my mates each year (veloflexes don't have much puncture resistance) but they are simply the best available for grip and ride quality.....I am slightly spoiled. I have backup sets of all sorts (conti's[most types],Vittorias [my second choice], IRC [<---don't do it...they are awful] maxxis etc) but the veloflex option is absolutely head and shoulders above the rest. Wear wise, if you don't puncture them too badly and damage the casing, they do quite well. I gave one of my "cast offs" to the lad I coach(ed)....he promptly put about 4000km on it before the casing started making an appearance inappropriately :lol: I prefer latex tubes but will often put light butyl tubes on the trainer (having said that, I ride my light bike 90% of the time). N.B. I rarely use my superlight wheels (805 ish g with tubs, Vitt crono evo s) and pretty much stick to my clinchers nowadays as I have built a 50mm set down to 1100 ish g (I still don't have them fully sorted yet tho....keep heat damaging the front rims on the steeep descents round here). It may be noted that my tyre choices are NOT budget orientated but more quality of ride/race orientated .......I drive a cheap car ;) ....don't pinch pennies on my bike :)
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

theremery

by theremery

I should have said.....I have veloflex records for good surface, dry, courses and use uber light latex tubes I took out of some tubs years ago on this combo. This is my top combo (Tubes came from some SOYO?? track tubs, i think....but I've had them for years....they are something like 50g each with an extended valve.)....I'll get eclipse tubes for them some day soon (obviously not for hill use or death will come calling).
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Michelin PR3 - spring/summer/autumn (will try PR4 when I can't get them any more)
Conti GP4000S - all year

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Summer/Race: Vittoria Open Corsa SC
Winter: Vittoria Open Pave