HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:57 am 

i have an SRM Professional with a PowerControl V. I've only been able to use it twice since I had it installed (last week) and neither time has it been able to pick up my T31 coded heart rate strap that I used with my Revmaster.

I was looking in the SRM manual and it says it works with the Polar T61 strap. Does anyone know what the difference is between the T31 and the T61?

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:57 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:20 am 

What is the serial number on the back on the powercontrol?

Starnut

BB30.COM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:39 am 

If your serial number has a P at the end of it, it can use polar coded straps (The T31 and T61 are coded) if it doesn't, you can't, or you will get very inconsistant signals.

I almost miss Mr Search...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:04 pm 

yes, it does have a P at the end of it.

do you happen to know what the difference between the T31 and the T61 is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:56 pm 

I am using both the T31 and T61 transmitters with my Powercontrol V without any problems. I prefer the T31 because i get a lot less interference from my jersey flapping in front of it. Have you tried putting some water on the strap before you put it around your chest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:23 pm 

I use the Polar Wearlink strap with a PCV and it's a lot more comfortable than the T31 or T61:

http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/polar_wearlink.html

It's coded and works well though beware the Wearlink WIND version doesn't work with the PCV as it uses 2.4GHz frequency

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:36 pm 

I believe the T61 is obsolete. The T31 is offered in coded and non coded, I believe, so make sure you have the coded one.

I was using the older T61 trasmitter with my PCV (which works with coded straps), and it worked fine. After the T61 died, I bought the new wearlink, which is what I believe they say is the replacement for the T61. The Wearlink has a soft strap and is washable, but most importantly, you can change the battery yourself.

One other item to note, is I have had in the past interference on my HR pickup (not with the PCV, but with my powertap) from the polar wireless speed sensors. Basically, if the speed sensor was sending signals, the HR pickup on the PT would not work. Not sure why you'd do this with the SRM, as you can get 5 lines of data....pt only has 3, and I was trying to get an interval timer function, in addition to power/hr/cadence with the PT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:40 am 

Ok so I recently got a brand new srm (dura ace, PCV with P serial #) and was using it just fine with my polar wearlink belt(coded/not wind). The HR readings were for the most part good with only a few unusually high spikes at the beginning of rides.

Now I cant seem to get any sort of accurate readings from it. It will suddenly read 200bpm while I'm coasting and on hard steady hills where I know I'm in the 170's it will only read 60bpm for sustained periods. No, I don't think thees are interference problems from power lines etc. because I rode the same routes for years with a polar HRM and this same strap no problem.

Ive changed the batteries, cleaned the strap connections, wet the strap before the ride etc but no dice lately. It just keeps reading poorly.

I know some of you hardcore guys will tell me to forget about the HR data entirely but I like to record the data and for the price I paid for the SRM I'm kinda disappointed it doesn't work better.

Any other suggestions before I call SRM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:49 am 

Charlie - how are you storing your wearlink post rides? For one, you're meant to store it with all the strap connections to the main unit disconnected. I found it was best also to gently hand wash it every so often, and to pat it down and then leave it wrapped in a towel post ride...I think that was what I was doing anyway, haven't used it in a while

I almost miss Mr Search...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:13 pm 

I have an SRM which works fine with a wearlink strap.
However, I would like a watch to use off the bike in the run for triathlon. Does anyone know which Polar watch would be compatible?
And can both the watch and the SRM link to the strap simultaneously?
thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:51 pm 

I had the same problem after about 1-2 years of use.
What I did that solved the problem was immerse the strap (without the transmitter) in warm vinegar.
It seems that after some time deposits from the salts of your sweat reduce the belt's conductivity, the vinegar is a mild acid that dissolves these deposits and restores the belt's conductivity.
And yes, I did wash the belt after each use at least with warm water.

Disclaimer: Do what I suggest at your own risk, I did and did not cause any problem to the belt but cannot guarantee the same for others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:30 pm 

Taz wrote:
What I did that solved the problem was immerse the strap (without the transmitter) in warm vinegar.

Was this a T-series or wearlink strap? If wearlink, did you also immerse the contacts at the end or just the electro contact poinits? I have had my SRM for just over a year and on last Saturdays team ride, I noticed that I seemed to be getting abnormally high readings throughout the ride. I was thinking it was the battery for the wearlink and changed it but here on the gulf coast of Texas, we deal with high temps and constant high humidity year round which would tend to exacerbate the problem. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:53 pm 

It was the textile wearlink (I have a S725 not an SRM but I had exactly the same symptoms the OP describes).
I just immersed the whole belt including the contact points to the transmitter.
If you get high readings maybe it is from a loose fitting jersey that flaps from the wind and gives false readings. I get that with some of my bigger jerseys and there is basically no cure but a tighter fitting jersey...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:53 pm 

What if the serial number does not end with a P? Does this mean that no hrm will work, or will an uncoded one work?

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:53 pm