recommend a rear pulley please

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

shimano ultegra groupo, looking for a set of rear derailleur pulley's 11T.

Kcnc ultralight
token
AEST

Want to keep it under 10g/pulley. All these options above are 18g/set or below. wanting to keep it under $40.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Extralite jockeys... Actually an upgrade too unlike the ones you've mentioned..

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Just put on a set of Token in my 6700 - fabulous. Shifting is still great, drivetrain is still quiet. I have no experience with the others you list, but I have nothing but praise for the tokens.

SpinnerTim

by SpinnerTim

+1 for Extralites. I've used them for thousands of miles with no complications. They are polymer wheels that will not lose their anodized finish (to ruinous aesthetic effect) like some of the others you mentioned, and the wear rates are mostly in line with OEM Shimano rates, so there is no boutique penalty to pay in that respect.

They have actual cartridge bearings, unlike some bushing-based WW wheel surrogates.

Like WW pulley wheels, the weight reduction is small in absolute terms, but the % improvement relative to the Ultegras will be huge. I think the total weight of the Extralites I installed was 9g compared to 21g for the D-A 7800 wheels that came with the group.

However, the Extralites do not have any lateral play in the upper wheel, unlike the Shimano unit. This play allows for more slop in your derailleur tuning, cable stretch, and permits you to run a wider-range cassette without undue tuning complications. The Extralites will be a bit noisier in all cases, but wide-range cassettes will result in significantly more chatter than your stock setup.

Most aftermarket pulleys will be noisier than Shimano's, so this problem is not unique to the Extralites.

-Tim

bura

by bura

OP wants 11T pulleys. Extralite has only 10T pulleys.This has been covered many times before.

OP wants to keep it below 10 gr - one pulley. Correct? Below 40 bucks for a pair?
Then there are so many options. Check on ebay for many many CNC machined alloy pulleys.

If you want to buy the lightest 11T pulleys sub 40 bucks then go for AFCBike pulleys.
I paid 39 usd for my Speed Eleven Delrin pulleys. Cartridge steel ball bearings 11T and 5,1 gram - one pulley. So 10.2 gram for the set. :D
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

AFC pulleys are nice.. And very Light. Made of the same plastic polymer that the extralites are. And the thing that makes them an upgrade over the std stuff..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyoxymethylene

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

shoot, now after doing some research I'm not so sure i want to bother with replacing them. seems like a large amount of people who purchased the AFC pulleys claimed for poor shifting because there was no lateral movement, while others claimed it had no effect on their shifting. The KCNC ceramic weighs in at 8g and has the lateral movement available.

any thoughts?

bura

by bura

Bianchi10 wrote:shoot, now after doing some research I'm not so sure i want to bother with replacing them. seems like a large amount of people who purchased the AFC pulleys claimed for poor shifting because there was no lateral movement, while others claimed it had no effect on their shifting. The KCNC ceramic weighs in at 8g and has the lateral movement available.

any thoughts?

I have just ebayed and found the KCNC ceramic pulleys all listed with 9gr -so 18gr for the pair- and within a price range of 77 to 62 bucks.
Available on a offer made so you may try to get them for 40 usd plus shipping.

No pulley has a build-in lateral movement if I have understood correct.
Question is if you can mount them with a slight lateral movement.

I am running the AFC pulleys now for 6900kms in my dura ace 7900 derailleur with a KMC chain currently and am very happy with the shifting performance and quiteness.
Purchased them in black and they still are black.
May be people should follow the manufacturer instructions while mounting.
AFC instructed me to build them in with a slight lateral movement of 0.5 mm and do not tighten them against the derailleur cage walls because o/wise their Delrin dustcaps will get squeezed towards the bearings which will cause stopping the bearings from turning.
This is exactly how I am running them.
I have read that some folks had pulleys sliding from the bearings with AFC.
Do not know if this is happening with big casettes in MTB set ups where the top pulley is laterally more stressed .
I run them with a 12-25 dura ace casette.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

The extralites have little cone shaped washers that allow the jockeys to float a little.
My last pair I changed out at around 10000kms then they replaced a set of warn out Dura-ace jockeys and are still going strong at another 10000kms.
A small amount of float is ok.. Say 0.5mm but any more than that is NOT good for slick shifting..