Best way to replace internal cable routing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ninjanoir78

by ninjanoir78

hi, I have a cannondale super six evo and I want to change my cables, but not sure about the rear brake, it is easy?? what is the best way??

thanks
Ninja

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

Tie a piece of string on the end of the old cable as you remove it, and then use that string to fish the new cable through.

While fishing the new cable through , push from the cable side and only remove slack from the string side, this will prevent it from coming detached.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justanewbie

by justanewbie

I just pull the old cable out, leaving the housing, put the new cable in the old housing, pull the old housing off the new cable, then slip the new housing on the new cable.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

The rear housing stop comes off, allowing a pretty clear view inside the top tube when fishing the new cable through. Alternatively, if you get a piece of cable liner (like a straw) that is longer than the top tube, you can:
Remove the rear most brake housing,
Slide the straw onto the remaining cable,
Continue to push the straw over the cable so the straw goes through the top tube and exits out the front.
At this point, the straw will span the entire length of the top tube. Tape the ends down, then pull he cable out of the straw. Reverse the procedure to reinstall.

ninjanoir78

by ninjanoir78

justanewbie wrote:I just pull the old cable out, leaving the housing, put the new cable in the old housing, pull the old housing off the new cable, then slip the new housing on the new cable.

there is no housing inside the top tube in the evo frame..
Ninja

ninjanoir78

by ninjanoir78

thisisatest wrote: A
Continue to push the straw over the cable so the straw goes through the top tube and exits out the front.
At this point, the straw will span the entire length of the top tube. Tape the ends down, then pull he cable out of the straw. Reverse the procedure to reinstall.

on the front impossible.. from the inside the hole is just big enough for the cable, nothing else ..

anyway thanks, I removed my fork, I took a shifter s housing, put that inside the tiop tube from the back thats it..
Ninja

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I'll second the cable liners. I used to change cables regularly on my Guru Geneo and did it slick as greased pig shit with the use of cable liners.

dhcp

by dhcp

Along this thread - I'm switching a 2013 Roubaix SL4 from Ultegra to SRAM Red and it too has all internal cable routing now. Can you just use the existing housing and poke in new wires for the SRAM or can you reuse the existing Ultegra cables/housing with the SRAM stuff? Or do/should you replace all of it with new stuff (Gore recommended?). Seller I bought the SRAM Red from included (new) internal wires for brakes and derailers, no housings.

Sorry for a newbie question, I've never swapped internal cables before and it seems daunting.

natiedean24

by natiedean24

When all else fails; string and a vacuum cleaner.

justinn

by justinn

As long as the cables aren't rusted out or in need of replacement you should be fine reusing the housing.

spartan

by spartan

simple on the other end place a strong magnet. the steel cable will cling to it. works every time
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com