Super Record 11 Rear Mech Failure - any others out there ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

gitsome wrote:With all due respect, again I dont think a giant RETAILER who sells these things is ever going to be honest and say, yes, we see substantial failures on one of our most sought-after items....lol. And to reiterate, at least from the homework Ive done, these just wear-down and are prone to breaking at this juncture far faster and more often than other gruppos. At least thats what I have been told by a couple of people who's opinion I trust and find to be objective, experienced and meant to help rather than to sell. But of course everyone only sees their own slice of the pie so who knows. My feeling is if you are looking for a set of components to use for 5 years or even more, and dont have a million bucks, maybe take the 100g hit and get Record or Shimano etc. Thats what Ive found..to each his/her own.

I beg your pardon? I see warranty issues with all the major manufacturers week in week out. But I have not seen a single SR11 item returned for warranty, not one. I am not dressing it up or being economical with the truth and certainly not lying. The only high end warranty issue I have seen in the last 21 years in the industry have been Sram Red Gen 1 brakes that were recalled as well as their more recent brake woes. All of my bikes are Campag 11. I commute on Record and Super Record with zero issues. I did have a problem that I thought was due to a faulty cassette which was warrantied with no issue. Turned out that my DT 240S free hub bearing was on its way out making the cassette look warped! That 3 year old cassette is still being used. The only caveat with SR11 and to a degree Record is that chains should be checked regularly for wear and replaced sooner rather than later to avoid wearing out the Ti sprockets. But then that applies to Dura Ace as well.

BTW your homework is somewhat lacking in that you are using a tiny sample in your locale as well as taking a couple of internet stories as gospel. It's about as relevant as one of those surveys they quote on cosmetics ads!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'm with @Ultimobici on this. I'm not part of or affiliated with any bike company or components manufacturer. I am just a guy that's gained some level of expertise and get to pick and choose the bikes I work on. And typically that is pretty high end stuff. With a focus on Campagnolo. I've never seen this either, although I'm sure I don't see nearly the volume that @Ultimobici does. Freak failure? Maybe. Who knows. Not saying it can't happen. But to suggest its a common problem and that it's a two year product or whatever is a stretch I think. But it's still good to see it here, regardless of how it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gitsome

by gitsome

My HW is based on someone who sees lots of SR every year and is not selling it so has no bias either way. I guess you are the only one who's opinion should ever be considered here.

And I NEVER said they were warranty issues or returns I said they were faster than usual wear as compared to Record or Shimano etc and parts eventually breaking (maybe AFTER warranty but sooner than most people expect who have just paid nearly 3K for components) and thus those who expect SR will last considerably longer than a few years (at least as far as rear derailleur is concerned) should be at least aware of the fact it was not necessarily designed to be as durable as Shimano et all.. . PLease read my posts carefully before spazing out
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

gitsome

by gitsome

ALL I said it was someones informed opinion based on materials and at least their rather considerable experience. Some durability was sacrificed for weight in terms of materials, tensile strength, etc...carbon/ti vs steel and whatever the metal rear hangers are made of, alu?

Shimano and others seem to last far longer. Just advice, no need to jump all over about it as some have, take it or leave it if you dont agree...

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

One person and the entire internet [where everyone has a chip on their shoulder and wants to air the dirty laundry]. Seems narrowly focused that was started by people who work at the same bike shop. Hmmmmmmmm

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

gitsome

by gitsome

If you go back further and read what I said you will see it was BASED ON A CONVERSATION I HAD WITH A MECHANIC who sees lots of these things wear after just a few years and advised to go w Record or Shimano if I was concerned w longer wear given the high cost of the gruppo. That IS what I wrote and what Ive been referring to.

Causidis you need to go to the beginign of the thread I think

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I replaced a red mech last week and have seen 3 blow up in the last 6 months used by friends, having been running Sr for the last 5 years,never had a drama no have I had to replace a full carbon sR mech for any one else in that time. I run my own private high end workshop.. Sounds lik the bad kick of the few too me. It an't WAM BAM SRAM that is for sure :noidea:

gitsome

by gitsome

All I ever said was in on e mechanics opinion who I trust and who sees a fair share of it there is a faster wear than in others and one should take that into account before spending the money if they expect it will last a long time as it may not last as long as others with less carbon and ti parts. Take it fwiw.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

gitsome wrote:All I ever said was in on e mechanics opinion who I trust and who sees a fair share of it there is a faster wear than in others and one should take that into account before spending the money if they expect it will last a long time as it may not last as long as others with less carbon and ti parts. Take it fwiw.

You are quoting secondhand information as fact. Whereas I among others am talking from direct experience at work and in my own riding. I am riding Super Record that was purchased in late 2010. It has been ridden in all conditions barring deepest winter to avoid salt. The only items changed have been chains, brake pads and one set of BB bearings. In a similar timespan on Red I changed the same items. Prior to that on Dura Ace I changed.........the same items! There is no difference at all in durability between Red, Dura Ace and Super Record. It's all in the quality of the maintenance, not the parts.

gitsome

by gitsome

I guess if it had happened to YOU then it would be true, but since it has not then it is false. You should just write a blog and not bother w forums.

I quote second-hand fact based on someone w tons of experience. Same thing pretty much. Its like cassettes, does anyone doubt SR and Record cassettes wear-down faster than Chorus? No. Why not? Bc they are made of lighter-weight material to shave grams but the tradeoff is increased wear. Kind of same thing, sort of.

Though not exactly, lol. Who cares. Honestly, Im done. Believe whatever you want, it was just advice.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

gitsome wrote:I guess if it had happened to YOU then it would be true, but since it has not then it is false. You should just write a blog and not bother w forums.

I quote second-hand fact based on someone w tons of experience. Same thing pretty much. Its like cassettes, does anyone doubt SR and Record cassettes wear-down faster than Chorus? No. Why not? Bc they are made of lighter-weight material to shave grams but the tradeoff is increased wear. Kind of same thing, sort of.

Though not exactly, lol. Who cares. Honestly, Im done. Believe whatever you want, it was just advice.

I'm not doubting that the mechs failed, but we're talking about 3 or 4 instances. That's not that many failures at all, especially as there don't seem to be any of them actually replaced as warranty that I can see.

As for citing SR as being different to Dura Ace and the like in durability, hogwash. Cassettes on Dura Ace and strangely Red too are just as fragile compared to Chorus, Ultegra or Force. But, as a previous poster pointed out, you are shifting from mech durability to cassettes which are items subject to wear & tear. No one claimed they don't wear faster. You however cite that as evidence that SR is not fit for purpose. It is a RACING groupset, not an everyday group. You're the kind of person that'd take a Ferrari Enzo back and complain that the clutch wears out too quick on the way to the shops!

gitsome

by gitsome

Ultimobici you dont seem to read my postings very clearly or understand them, I said quite clearly that was a bad analogy I was using. The only point in it was a difference in materials to save weight and thus different wear-times, beyond that I even said it was not a good analogy. I dod not cite it as evidence of aything, it was a partial analogy to make a point about which I have stopped caring. Honestly, Im glad SR is as good as you say I will hope to get some of it someday depending on what the 2015 redesign looks like and where it goes...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Anyway the mechanic can chime in? No reason for you to take all the flak since you are just spewing information that someone else started.