Super Record 11 Rear Mech Failure - any others out there ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LionelB

by LionelB

2 years does not mean anything. Some people ride 60000km in 2 years, some 2000km.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gitsome

by gitsome

Absolutely. Maybe this was an average. I am sure his clients ride A LOT. Its a serious place, rich or poor, people there ride. And even more than a few pros. I think its safe to assume relatively high mileage over the 2 years. But stilll... at that price should last longer. At least for my thin wallet.
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

@gitsome

I think your going a bit OTT.

Check the thread. It's originally from late 2012 and then revived 18 months later. It's maybe not as common as you think.
Have a look in the gallery section. SR is popular on this site so if they were shearing regularly it would be a hot topic like the 9000 cassette issue.

Also Campag gives a 4 year warranty so a 2 year lifespan doesn't add up.

gitsome

by gitsome

All I said was thats the feedback I got from someone who deals with it quite often, thats his ballpark assessment. Take it FWIW. Never said it was a rule or set in stone, just that it happened to reflect the exact same issues as this thread originally presented. Coincidence? Perhaps. Campa obviously have no set time limit on the product, but based on extensive experience (far more than mine or any single user's) that was the info I got. Like i sad, he said figure on it lasting around that much with lots of use, obviously if it sits around one's garage waiting for Sunday's ride it will last longer. FWIW. Not trying to bash campagnolo at all, I love it.

LionelB

by LionelB

I have a couple of friends who have 100K+ km on their SR RD. I only have 10K on both of mine. No problem.

kac

by kac

gitsome wrote:No manufacturer is ever going to state a durability time-limit on a product, no matter what. They will just say it is the ultimate blah blah blah...and there is always a chance of failure but blah blah blah... I think only way to gauge these things realistically is to speak w honest people (who are not selling them) and who have extensive experience dealing w them (like mechanics) and get feedback based on such experience (that is hopefully well-informed and non-biased).

Good points but shouldn't Campagnolo be concerned about legal liability issues (if they aren't concerned enough about customer safety to accurately label a product for intended use)?

After reading this thread, I took a powerful flashlight and a jeweler's loop and carefully inspected my SR rear derailleur for any incipient cracks or other potential issues. I didn't see anything; in other words, it looks just fine. My derailleur has ~800 miles on it, so it's effectively new. I've wondered about the seam since that (presumably) is where the cracking is occurring. I devoted extra attention to that area and saw nothing untoward.

Even if this group is intended for "race day" use only, it really ought to be even more robust than a set-up designed for average riders like me. Maybe I'm wrong, but race-day stresses, even if only "occasional" put more strain on a derailleur than club rides and other "amateur" activities. Right? Wrong?

I expect that, now that the issue has been brought to the attention of the company, they will feel an obligation to reply. But, we'll see...

gitsome

by gitsome

No idea, my only point was that based on recent feedback from someone who sees a lot of it, it seems there are tradeoffs and in this case he specifically mentioned issues with the carbon rear hanger and the ti shifter internals affecting durability over the long/middle term, not saying its a flaw or defect, just that its not necessarily designed to be a 5-10 year gruppo but something that may have a higher incidence of repairs/replacements in less time than other top-end gruppos, even Record. But who knows. Im sure theres lots of SR thats still fine. As was said depends on mileage, power, etc. Im just relating advice given to me, if the cost is significant for you you may want to consider Record instead of SR or go for Shimano for most durability. If not go for it, its great while it works and if you cn afford periodic replacements, etc. its beautiful. Its just tradeoff for extra weight savings.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

gitsome wrote:Also complained of the Ti parts inside (like screws) he said not nearly as durable as steele.

I'd advise you to get another mechanic. He's bullsh1tting you.

The Ti bolts IME (from Record in the early 2000s) are much more durable than the steel bolts. They don't rust or corrode.
They aren't quite as strong as the steel bolts but you'd have to pretty ham-fisted to strip them or orund them off. Compared to the WW favourite aluminium bolts they are much more durable. The downside is they're a bit heavier.

I've got Campag Ti bolts from circa 2002 that look like new.
Last edited by 5 8 5 on Thu May 08, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gitsome

by gitsome

He's bullshitting me? Whyy? Read their own descriptions of the two, not the same internals at all:

From Campy's own site description for SR...

"for caliper brakes - composite body ? ball bearings - lightened carbon brake lever - internal mechanism parts in titanium - Ultra-Shift ™ geometry - ergonomic brake lever with high fulcrum - brake opening control integrated with the brake lever - insert for large hands - Vari- Cushion™ silicone hoods - No-Bulge™ housing path - minimum friction housings - front derailleur micro-adjustment possibility - multiple shifting"

"TITANIUM FINISHING: less weight"

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/groups ... tid_12.jsp

Campagnolo site description of Record: (NO MENTION IF TI INTERNAL MECH PARTS NOR ANY MENTION OF TI FINISHING):

"for caliper brakes - composite body and levers ? ball bearings - Ultra- Shift™ geometry - ergonomic brake lever with high fulcrum - closer brake lever - brake opening control integrated with the brake lever - insert for large hands - Vari-Cushion™ silicone hoods - No-Bulge™ housing path - minimum friction housings - front derailleur micro-adjustment possibility
- multiple shifting"

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/groups ... atid_4.jsp

He knows exactly what he talking about, trust me, these folks are on very close terms w lots of manufacturers....like I said his point was this is not intended for durability as much as weight savings. Thats the tradeoff. Most expensive in this case means "best" for performance but not strength.

He was just offering me advice, thats all. He doesnt care what i do w my money.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

gitsome wrote:He's bullshitting me? Whyy? Read their own descriptions of the two, not the same internals at all:

"for caliper brakes - composite body ? ball bearings - lightened carbon brake lever - internal mechanism parts in titanium - Ultra-Shift ™ geometry - ergonomic brake lever with high fulcrum - brake opening control integrated with the brake lever - insert for large hands - Vari- Cushion™ silicone hoods - No-Bulge™ housing path - minimum friction housings - front derailleur micro-adjustment possibility - multiple shifting"

Campagnolo site description of Record: (NO MENTION IF TI INTERNAL MECH PARTS NOR ANY MENTION OF TI FINISHING):

"for caliper brakes - composite body and levers ? ball bearings - Ultra- Shift™ geometry - ergonomic brake lever with high fulcrum - closer brake lever - brake opening control integrated with the brake lever - insert for large hands - Vari-Cushion™ silicone hoods - No-Bulge™ housing path - minimum friction housings - front derailleur micro-adjustment possibility
- multiple shifting"

He knows exactly what he talking about, trust me, these folks are on very close terms w lots of manufacturers....like I said his point was this is not intended for durability as much as weight savings. Thats the tradeoff. Most expensive in this case means "best" for performance but not strength.

I work for one of Campag's OE customers. We see a shedload of Campag, buying Super Record in bulk as well as Record & Chorus similarly. Aside from the cassette it is perfectly durable stuff. I've been commuting on it most days since the weather improved. Record & Super Record levers differ mainly in the lever blade, shift paddle and the fixing bolts rather than the internals. The front mech is barely any different bar a bolt or two.

Your "mechanic" is talking out of his backside. I doubt he sees a fraction of the high end Campag I see day in day out. If he was right, we as a CSC, would be replacing SR11 all the time.

gitsome

by gitsome

I think he's talking about things wearing out fast not defects

gitsome

by gitsome

And maybe that bolt or two are the ones he is referring to...not to mention the hanger that seems to be breaking exactly as he described...not sre why the hostility. The point is these minimal dfferences between the two seem to make a difference in durability thats all.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Apologies gitsome, I misread the Campag parts manual. Record and Chorus have the same internals. SR doesn't.
I've edited my post.

I stand by what I said about the titanium bolts.

Bear in mind Campag have used titanium on various parts (pinch bolts, clamp bolts, brake shoe bolts, brake cable clamp mechanism etc) since the late 90s.
If titanium wasn't durable enough or as causing problems it would've been replaced by now.

gitsome

by gitsome

Like I said, that was one person's opinion I know who deals with it a lot.. and I was inquiring for my own interest recently... but he could be wrong too, or maybe I am giving the wrong impression that SR is prone to explode or something, it is not. It works extremely well but is just a lighter weight set that MIGHT perhaps not last as long as others (at least) despite its cost.

I think the bigger concern is still the carbon hanger for this group. No worries 585. A one who rides a 595 I think we are in the same team ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kac

by kac

ultimobici wrote:
gitsome wrote:He's bullshitting me? Whyy? Read their own descriptions of the two, not the same internals at all:

- multiple shifting"

I work for one of Campag's OE customers. We see a shedload of Campag, buying Super Record in bulk as well as Record & Chorus similarly. Aside from the cassette it is perfectly durable stuff. I've been commuting on it most days since the weather improved. Record & Super Record levers differ mainly in the lever blade, shift paddle and the fixing bolts rather than the internals. The front mech is barely any different bar a bolt or two.

Your "mechanic" is talking out of his backside. I doubt he sees a fraction of the high end Campag I see day in day out. If he was right, we as a CSC, would be replacing SR11 all the time.

This makes me feel a good bit of relief! It's hard to imagine that the flagship line of a distinguished manufacturer, refined as it's been over several years of general and professional use would be fundamentally flawed (but I guess it's possible). Anyway, good to know and thanks!