Campag Power torque 'creak'

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

Hi all I have a centaur powetorque chainset which has developed an annoying tick/click when under load. I gotta feeling this is down to the ridiculous wave washer that is used to preload the bearing anyone else have similar experience and a fix? It is soooooo annoying, a trusted mechanic faced the bb and prepped as per spec.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Try to ad a 2nd wave washer. This did the trick for me with my 2012 SR titanium crank.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

Cheers will give it a go frankie

Burning Dogma

by Burning Dogma

What tools are you using to remove the cranks?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The ultra torques do this as well, a second wavy washer is probably the best solution after facing has been tried. Mine clicks a bit bit too but is not too bad yet.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

my mechanic has tools to remove

Miller

by Miller

Monkeyboy3333 wrote:Hi all I have a centaur powetorque chainset which has developed an annoying tick/click when under load.

Are you sure it's the chainset? There are many sources of creaks on a bike and it can be easy to jump to the wrong conclusion.

speedwobbles

by speedwobbles

Not sure that there was ever a power torque version of the SR crankset, so adding a second washer here doesn't apply. The power torque washers are a completely different piece than the ultra torque washers, must be four or five times as thick as an ultra torque wave washer when compressed. I highly doubt that you could get two power torque washers in there.

As for the creaking, there are several spots you must eliminate:

Ticking sound: remove bb cups, face and chase bb (if both have not already been done), grease thoroughly and reinstall. If press fit remove, add friction compound and reinstall. Grease pedal threads and lip where pedal contacts crankarm. Grease crank bolt liberally, including underside of lip. Grease rear dropout faces where they contact clamping surfaces of rear hub. Also check bar/stem connection. Grease inner and outer surfaces of chainring bolts.

Creak: grease crankarm/spindle interface. Grease wave washer. Check BB area and rear end for cracks. Overhaul pedals. Lightly grease/oil the crossing points of spokes in rear wheel. Overhaul rear hub. Grease free hub spline/cassette interface.

My best guesses

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

Thanks for all the advice here, defo the chainset power torque issue , installed as per spec but when i push against the crankbolt with force along the spindle there is a tiny element of play and subsequent knock/ creak , this as if the bearings are not being preloaded by wave washer where d i go from here? Any mechanics out there with advice, i have ordered 2nd wave washer but doubt there will be sufficient space to fit it.....

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Is your BB shell with spec? Maybe try a second ultra torque washer as they are thinner. Have you tried new bearings, they maybe faulty somehow.

I would do things in that order as that is the order of least to most expensive.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

bm0p700f wrote:Is your BB shell with spec? Maybe try a second ultra torque washer as they are thinner. Have you tried new bearings, they maybe faulty somehow.

I would do things in that order as that is the order of least to most expensive.

Is ultra torque spindle same diameter as powertorque then? Thus allowing me to have a go at your suggestion....

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well since all external BB use 6805 bearings the axles have to be the same diameter.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

This is whats great about this forum, people with common sense that indont have! Thanks man

Tricky1

by Tricky1

Interested if you find a solution to the ticking. I'm going mental trying to silence this issue as well. I hope to hear back with what worked for you and will give the advice listed here a go!
Last edited by Tricky1 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bontie

by bontie

+1 . I have a similar "clicking" form a 2011 SR group... Will defintiely give the advice here a go.
Thanks all