EE Brakes Safety Recall

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

x43x

by x43x

Anyone else receive notice about this? I got a certified letter direct from EE. Apparently the brake bridge can crack "under severe riding conditions, creating a potential fall hazard for the rider". Two incidents have been reported, with one resulting in minor injuries to the rider.

EE is offering to fix the brakes at no cost, provide you with a new bridge so you can fix it yourself, or have your dealer fix it at no cost.

There is a hotline to call in the letter. Hopefully I can get the new bridge anodized. I have the machined version before they started forging them.

The worst part is that they request I stop riding my bike :cry:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Is there any information as to which model (generation) or production dates the recall applies?

x43x

by x43x

Talked to Craig. There are three versions of EE brakes. The 1st gen, 2nd gen machined, and 2nd gen forged. The recall is for the 1st gen and 2nd gen machined. The forged brakes are not affected from what I gathered.

Unfortunately he can't anodize them anymore. Lame sauce.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I can shed some light on this. So far there have only been two issues where the brake bridge cracked. It was caused by stress corrosion cracking. A combination of tension and corrosive elements. My understanding is that these were isolated incidents but Craig decided to issue new brake bridges just to be on the safe side. I know most companies would not have issued replacement parts with only two incidents of cracking, but would simply call this a manufacturing defect and go on. Craig however seems to take this very seriously, almost to a fault. Personally I don't see how any company can realistically expect to have a 0% failure rate but that is his goal, and I guess it's nice to see that attitude in this industry particularly on the lightweight end of it.

Anyway, the forged brakes are not effected by the recall. The recall covers only earlier brakes with five digit serial numbers beginning with 80xxx or 09xxx. These serial numbers are engraved on either the front or back of the strut portion of the brake. Brakes that have serial numbers engraved directly on the bridge or that have the full name ee cycleworks etched on them are not included in the recall.

If you have a brake that is in the recall simply contact Craig at EE and he'll get a new bridge sent out to you.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

x43x wrote:Unfortunately he can't anodize them anymore. Lame sauce.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/ee-cycleworks ... -1048.html wrote:Special custom order anodization is available, and special limited colors are occasionally available at a slightly higher price.
Is this fairwheel catalog page out of date with regard to anodization and special limited colors? Do colors other than black and silver require anodization, and for that matter, does black?

motorthings

by motorthings

i got my notice on monday, called in, got my replacement bridges in the mail today and installed them per the instructions (you have the option of sending them in if you want), and got back out on the road.

craig is great to work with, makes an amazing product, and is incredibly dedicated to making (and addressing even the smallest problem with) his product. i'd recommend the brakes and company to anyone looking for the best.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

great brakes... great service even outside of US... thanks to craig(ee cycleworks) and jason(FWB)...

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

HammerTime2 wrote:
x43x wrote:Unfortunately he can't anodize them anymore. Lame sauce.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/ee-cycleworks ... -1048.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; wrote:Special custom order anodization is available, and special limited colors are occasionally available at a slightly higher price.
Is this fairwheel catalog page out of date with regard to anodization and special limited colors? Do colors other than black and silver require anodization, and for that matter, does black?
Perhaps this question slipped through the cracks.

x43x

by x43x

The anodizing was done on Craig's end. The person who was doing it no longer is. So unless Fairwheel is anodizing now, that info is out of date.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Does black require anodization?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com