Long awaited Dura Ace 9000 C24 wheels - first look and feel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fitzroy

by Fitzroy

If I had 100% confidence in my LBS or any bike shop in my area then I would get a custom built set. I'm only 90% sure they would know what to do IF I had an issue with an Alchemy or Tune built wheelset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Badger2501

by Badger2501

Fitzroy

I have a pair of these wheels. I weigh 84kg and have ridden 500k over undulating and 10%+ grades. I have them set up as dura ace 10 speed with a spacer. No issues they ride well and handle bumps etc with no noticeable flex

Cheers

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

Your riding style and strength has far more to do with how long they will last etc. than your weight.

Should be fine, but if you're after stiff wheels, you're better off with Mavic Ksyrium SL/SLS or Fulcrums.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

I have had the older c24's and the new c24's. In my opinion same wheels, except for nipple color and front wheel hub fatter. They are my go to wheels for centruy rides and club rides when the roads head for the hills. As the past posters note, all the good traits about these wheels. I also have Ksyrium SL's that have the al. spokes, they hang on the wall most of the time due to the stiffness of the al. spokes that are not as enjoyable on 100/200 mile rides. For short 25's I will pull them out since they just look cool.

Bottom line everybody weights different and has different skill level. Most top wheels work great, you just have to fine the right one that works for your stable. C24's all the way for me.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

qeaou

by qeaou

After starting this discussion, I have done 2500km on the DA's,
and consider them the best allrounders, no issues, great on climbs and descents.
bullet-proof.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'd like to know if the Dura Ace logos on these wheels are stickers or transfers?

globecanvas

by globecanvas

Sjoerd wrote:Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'd like to know if the Dura Ace logos on these wheels are stickers or transfers?

The logos and graphics are underneath the carbon clearcoat, therefore not removable by any means.

rma

by rma

Sorry to continue to dig this up... but do you guys who have this wheelset would still put it in the "best <1000$ all-rounder" category? I'm thinking about one of these!

NealH

by NealH

I would not have purchased two pair of the C24 wheels if I thought there was another as good. In fact I don't think you can buy a set as good for $2k....other than the C35.

The Ardennes are suppose to be good wheels but I have not tried them. Its like a good saddle, when I find something that works I don't usually change.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

globecanvas wrote:
Sjoerd wrote:Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'd like to know if the Dura Ace logos on these wheels are stickers or transfers?

The logos and graphics are underneath the carbon clearcoat, therefore not removable by any means.

Angle grinder? Nuclear bomb? Aggressive filing?

nagge

by nagge

No no, Dura Ace are "bombproof".
SuperSix EVO III Ultegra 8070

madonna

by madonna

So far this is a very nice wheelset for the price, weight, performance and quality. Other than it doesn't look so nice as compare to Fulcrum racing zero.

benhama

by benhama

With the current trend of wider rims I wonder if anyone knew if Shimano has anything in the pipeline to increase the rim width on its C24s & c35s. Effectively this would bring them in line with other manufacturers in the market and indeed their own C50s & C75s.

michel2

by michel2

These are the wheels that might pull my out of the campy camp...one day (;