Seat Post Shims - Good, Bad? -

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
SWijland

by SWijland

thisisatest wrote:Thermoplastic shim is slippery, especially against use's own hard anodised shockposts. But now there is grip paste (carbon paste, fiber grip, whatever), so that should be a non-issue now.

Used the stuff. Didn't work.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

SWijland wrote:Used the stuff. Didn't work.

Works for me! I use carbon paste on all my seatposts (aluminium, carbon and ti). Never have any slippage. I also use it on all my bars and stems. Again no slippage.

I suspect that either your seatpost is slightly out of spec or most likely your frame.

by Weenie

SWijland

by SWijland

The new aluminium No Name shim works fine, so I guess I can rule out wrong dimensions.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Depends on the spec of the no-name?

Carbon paste is one of the better innovations in cycling and is essential not just for the WW but useful on any bike generaly allowing lower torque to be used to hold things firmly in place.
Manufacturers certainly see the benefit by recommending its use and supplying it with some frames and stems.

To say it doesn't work is plainly misleading. It didn't work for you due to either differing specs, tolerances or user error.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

All set up and working well. Used FinishLine carbo grip inside and outside the shim.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in, much appreciated.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Did the 27.2 to 31.6 shim weigh 25g (FWB) or 26g (manufacturer's web site)?

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

It actually weighed 20g. I thought about drilling it out a bit since it is not structural, but have not yet. I could probably get it down to 15g.

Very happy with the results.