Enve vs 3t stem stiffness

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I realise you’re looking at full carbon stems, but they are typically both heavier and up to 4x more expensive than a decent Al stem (Deda Superlegga, Extralite, Zipp, 3T team), that said you might also consider the Pro Cavendish stem if stiffness is your primary focus (it won’t suit all tastes though)
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Agree with the sentiments on alu vs carbon stems. I own the ARX LTD, but it is heavier, bulkier, and considerably more expensive than my alloy stem. The only real reason to go for a carbon stem is if you particularly like the aesthetic or if you're trying to match the rest of your cockpit. If you've got Enve bars/seatpost, I say go for Enve. If you have 3T LTD bars and seatpost, might as well get the ARX. If you don't have either, just get something lighter and cheaper.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coolmingli

by coolmingli

100mm Enve weight 117 grams, 100mm 3T Arx weight 118 grams, I agree with the above post, you get the stem according from your choice of handlebar.

53x12

by 53x12

"I agree with the above post, you get the stem according from your choice of handlebar."

Yes or you get what you can find on sale or get a good deal on used and take the decals off. Economics speak more loudly to me than having my stem and handlebars match.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

I think I heard that the Enve and 3t LTD stems look so similar because they are made in the same factory, so you have gloss vs matte, faceplate aesthetics, recessed nuts for the 3t steerer clamp screws.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

53x12

by 53x12

"I think I heard that the Enve and 3t LTD stems look so similar because they are made in the same factory, so you have gloss vs matte, faceplate aesthetics, recessed nuts for the 3t steerer clamp screws."

I thought the Enve stem was made in the USA, in UT?

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/05/17/enve-composites-factory-tour-inside-look-at-company-carbon-fiber-manufacturing/
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

To quote the article you linked:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/05/17/enve-composites-factory-tour-inside-look-at-company-carbon-fiber-manufacturing/ wrote:While the rims are all made in UT, their components are mostly made overseas for now. Some are made domestically, and Schiers says they’re working to do more here.

“First and foremost, we’re designing the laminates here, prototyping here and completely designing everything here, including the tooling,” Schiers says. “Then we take it over there, and we’re in frequent (weekly) communication with them to maintain a consistency in the product. Then we do the final testing here, too.”

They’re also contemplating a full time position at the foreign factories to oversee their production. Schiers said even if they could ramp up production here in the US to help speed aftermarket order fulfillment, there would always be an Asian component to their manufacturing. Why? Because OEM customers need the product quickly and it makes more sense to have it made in and delivered to the same area when their products are being spec’d on production bikes.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

...They are similar but not the same. The bolt design is different at the steerer. and the design is not apples to apples...

Get the one that matches the build.
carbonLORD.com

morrisond

by morrisond

If your looking for a stiff stem/bar forget the ENVE stuff - they are very noodly. The 3T stuff is much stiffer.

I've had ENVE and now on 3T and wouldn't go back.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

^^ That's a MAHOOSIVE over-exaggeration right there!

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Depends. I found the Ergosum LTD to be tons more flexy then the Ergonova Team I'm on which feels almost identical to the ENVE compact bar I'm riding.
carbonLORD.com

aftereffector

by aftereffector

Does it absolutely have to be full carbon? I understand the bling factor - that's why I have a carbon matrix 4-axis on my Storck - but I did a price to weight comparison on stems a while ago and was stunned by how little weight you save with carbon stems (as in, generally none).

I like to keep my stems and bars from the same manufacturer. I know it won't make a difference in general, but in case one manufacturer's tolerances are a little off one way or the other, it will make sure everything works together. I am especially careful about matching a carbon bar with any other manufacturer's stem.