Speedplay Ti upgrades

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

porktaco

by porktaco

I am just wondering if anyone has upgraded their pedals with standard length ti spindles from tispindle.com (ward?) and the ti bowties and ti bolts from jerseycycles? If so- what was the finished weight once the upgrades were done? Thanks-

ECT

by ECT

porktaco wrote:I am just wondering if anyone has upgraded their pedals with standard length ti spindles from tispindle.com (ward?) and the ti bowties and ti bolts from jerseycycles? If so- what was the finished weight once the upgrades were done? Thanks-

I replaced my X2's with tispindle.coms standard length ti axles, and went from 198g for the pair to 156g. In my opinion a very affordable and easy upgrade, and the company was great to deal with, customer service was excellent and my order shipped fast. I would highly recommend replacing the plastic body's if they have many miles on them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I have ward spindles and dulight.fr Ti butterfly's 142g the pair.

porktaco

by porktaco

Ahhhh what a night. I got my ward spindles last night. My brand new stainless speedplay zeros came this afternoon. I sat down this evening to swap out the spindles. The left pedal's spindle bolt came out without a problem. I swapped everything over and loctited the bolt to finish the job. The right pedal was a different story. The bolt was moving, but very slowly compared to the left pedal. So after the t20 slipping a few times, the bolt was $&@#ed. Now I've got to figure out a way to get the stripped bolt out, and find a replacement. I went back and looked at the left pedal and noticed it is really tight (the spindle does not move smoothly). I should have just saved the time and headache and just put the freakin stainless zeros on the way that they came and been happy. :smartass:

Arky

by Arky

The best speedplay upgrade that I ever made was purchasing a set of keywins. You can pick out whatever ti spindle length you want.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

porktaco wrote:I am just wondering if anyone has upgraded their pedals with standard length ti spindles from tispindle.com (ward?) and the ti bowties and ti bolts from jerseycycles? If so- what was the finished weight once the upgrades were done? Thanks-

I have done this exactly as above and they came out about 135grms in total

porktaco

by porktaco

I took my jacked up pedal to the shop yesterday. I was just planning on getting a replacement bolt and asking what the mechanic recommended for the removal of the bolt. He ended up putting it in a vice, and had to get up on the bench to get enough pressure on the bolt to get it out. A great shop and a great mechanic! I think the trick is to heat up the bolt to break the loctite bond- even if it is the blue medium strength stuff.

drmutley

by drmutley

I've done a heap of spindle changes, and most don't need heat... I've used heat (tip of soldering iron) a few times on the sticky ones and that does the trick nicely...

If after replacing the spindle u find that it's a bit grainy, replace to 2 cartridge bearings (few bucks off eBay)... and yr pedals will roll sweet... Even new pedals can be grainy after swapping out the standard axles...

leosantos

by leosantos

Arky wrote:The best speedplay upgrade that I ever made was purchasing a set of keywins. You can pick out whatever ti spindle length you want.

and the 53mm lenght which is standard on factory speedplays should be what lenght if Im buying the spindle from these guys?? has anyone measured them?

motorthings

by motorthings

drmutley wrote:I've done a heap of spindle changes, and most don't need heat... I've used heat (tip of soldering iron) a few times on the sticky ones and that does the trick nicely...

If after replacing the spindle u find that it's a bit grainy, replace to 2 cartridge bearings (few bucks off eBay)... and yr pedals will roll sweet... Even new pedals can be grainy after swapping out the standard axles...

do you have the specs on the bearings used to replace the stock ones? i have the grainy feel in one of my pedals after the ti spindle swap. thanks!

porktaco

by porktaco

I ordered the ti bowties from Jerseycycles.com and waited for a week before hearing that he had not even shipped them yet. I got the bowties and ti bolts within a few days, and one of the four fit the pedal well. The other three were loose and long on the pedal body. Needless to say, I was disappointed. I returned the parts and Bob at Jerseycycles.com told me he would refund the purchase price as well as shipping. I am just going to leave well enough alone-

wshiong

by wshiong

Anyone know where to get the Y thing below the bowties. i am not sure what is the name of it. do you guys change it as well ?

i found that my cleat are too loose, sometimes it will spin out by just a little twist. my bowties are in good condition.
Passoni Mirror

Passoni Xxti

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I'm not sure you can actually get those or not or if anyone makes after market ones

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

porktaco wrote:I ordered the ti bowties from Jerseycycles.com and waited for a week before hearing that he had not even shipped them yet. I got the bowties and ti bolts within a few days, and one of the four fit the pedal well. The other three were loose and long on the pedal body. Needless to say, I was disappointed. I returned the parts and Bob at Jerseycycles.com told me he would refund the purchase price as well as shipping. I am just going to leave well enough alone-

Got these from the nice French kids at dulight.fr

http://www.dulight.fr/product_info.php? ... ts_id=1725

Zero dramas!
The Ti bolts they supply are a little soft.. Use loctight and don't over tighten ( let the loctight 'lock' the bolt in )

Totally ace!

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

sugarkane wrote:
Got these from the nice French kids at dulight.fr

http://www.dulight.fr/product_info.php? ... ts_id=1725" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zero dramas!
The Ti bolts they supply are a little soft.. Use loctight and don't over tighten ( let the loctight 'lock' the bolt in )

Totally ace!

I think that is where I'll get my next lot. More expensive than Jersey though but no doubt better quality.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com