New weight weenie pedals on the market- Ultralite Sports

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

Ok i do not love them that much any longer as the plastic on my left pedal broke today :p
I do not know why or if it is a common problem. Just wrote to the company and will see what happens. Luckyly the part is not to complicated and i´ll make my own so i can use my bike. But hope to get some new parts from Ultralite later on.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Well, as a general rule, ultra light is not always ultra durable. All the more so for a weight-bearing part if the rider is heavy (for example, over 90 kg, as Fuchspk admits to be) and/or strong.

You want durable? Get Dura Ace.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

Yeah that is for sure for some ultra light parts, but not all of them are bad and can hold as long as DA and somebody has to test this to see how far you can go. Otherwise we all would cycle around with DA and there would not be any weighweenie or so ;)
Of course i´m a bit heavy for the titanium pedals but the steel pedals from Ultralite use the same plastic part and they are ok for up to 300lbs - so there should not be that problem with this.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Fuchspk wrote:Ok i do not love them that much any longer as the plastic on my left pedal broke today :p

So... the plastic part (that your cleat attaches to) rotates on a metal shaft... and the in-board piece (with the spring inside) rubs against your cleat... or doe sit rotate along with the cleat?

At any rate that plastic part will wear pretty quickly if you get any dirt in there.
formerly rruff...

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I'd love to hear any more experiences people have had on these.

Fuchspk, Did Ultralight replace your broken piece and what did they say?

vtspot

by vtspot

Fuchspk, i am looking into this pedal as well. Any updates from the company?

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

The slight performance gains from light weight parts that are cancelled out due to bushing drag don't make any sense to me. Part longevity is another topic.

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

Sorry for my late respons. No i never got an answer to my question about my broken pedal - which is kinda bad as it was still in the warranty time....
They now have these barrels on their shop and i would guess that some more people had the same problem like me?
Anyway i just ordered a pair of barrels and will see how long they will last.

vtspot

by vtspot

This is real bad image for the company without responding to customer issue.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Yeah, from the looks of their website, me thinks these people are a 1-2 man operation and just aren't capable/prepared to handle running a company. No response to basic support issue?

Next, as Bridgeman above points out, bushing bearings??? Not good. There is never any longevity with bushing configurations on parts like pedals, that have massive pressure and high "cycles" (repitition) put on them. As pedals, crank bearings, wheel bearings etc...all do. It requires steel/ceramic.

There is a reason major industrial companies that understand manufacturing with components as such, don't use a bushing if they want it to last.

Lastly, I don't need some suspect pedal when I'm hitting a sprint and pushing high wattage. Maybe OK for a climber who can't go over 500w ever.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

HammerTime2 wrote:Well, as a general rule, ultra light is not always ultra durable. All the more so for a weight-bearing part if the rider is heavy (for example, over 90 kg, as Fuchspk admits to be) and/or strong.

As a general rule, yes I agree.
Fortunately, it isn't always true.

That's what makes this forum great - we sift through the detritus and marginal products to highlight the exemplary ones.

As a result of the shared opinions here, my WW roadie has been solid - and I suspect that I'm not alone for those who spend the time to read the reviews and follow brands / products here.

jooo

by jooo

:roll:
Zigmeister wrote:bushing bearings??? Not good. There is never any longevity with bushing configurations on parts like pedals, that have massive pressure and high "cycles" (repitition) put on them. As pedals, crank bearings, wheel bearings etc...all do. It requires steel/ceramic.

There is a reason major industrial companies that understand manufacturing with components as such, don't use a bushing if they want it to last.

Yet plain bearings are used in IC engines and all sorts of highly stressed equipment.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

FWIW the turcite bushings on my AeroLite pedals spin far more freely than my Look Keo, Crankbrothers Eggbeater or Ultegra pedals. And they have lasted a very long time, doing a lot of climbing under a mashing heavy rider. And have a lot less play too.

Cheers
GJ

mattr

by mattr

jooo wrote:Yet plain bearings are used in IC engines and all sorts of highly stressed equipment.
Very often with either a pressurised feed of oil to cool and lubricate, or all but submerged in oil. Or both.

Might make your lightweight pedals a little less lightweight.