New weight weenie pedals on the market- Ultralite Sports

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

1. The platform is small \_/ as opposed to \__/. The bottom of your foot will eventually feel it because the force exerted is not spread out over the bottom of the foot. I don't care how stiff the soles of your shoes are.

2. You need to push your foot towards the crank and chain. I try to avoid turning my heel into the frame when exiting out of the pedal.

3. The plastic cleat is continuously turning against a metal bushing. The cleat will widen and will not be round anymore it will become oval hence slop occurs.

Other than these key points they look great on the scale. :thumbup:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 2011

1.The contact surface area of the cleat that mounted to the shoe is no smaller than your standard 3-bolt road cleat (Look). It's still the size of the surface area of the 3 cleat bolts.

2. It appears you tilt the ball of your foot down and in. There is not turning or twisting of the heal toward the frame.

3. All plastic cleats wear and need to be replaced. However, It has already been brought up that the cleat does NOT act as the bearing and does not rotate on the spindle, but yet engages with the metal sleeve with spins freely on the spindle.

Anyway... none of us can really make these assumptions without any of us even trying them yet.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

1. I believe most cleats support a wider area than these do even thought they have the exact bolt pattern. But I would like to add that the load put on the spindle is not going to be spread out as it does on 2 wide platforms coming together: the cleat and the pedal.

2. Your foot still needs to move in towards the crank. By the way people who like float. Where is that happening? I have virtually no float on my cleats but there are many that like the float.

3. OK that's fine did not read every page on here since my earlier post.

Regardless of cleat wear the platform would not be wide enough. This is the number one gripe many people have with pedals and cleats.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

stella-azzurra wrote:By the way people who like float. Where is that happening? I have virtually no float on my cleats but there are many that like the float.

http://www.ultralitesports.com/pages/faq wrote:Do the pedals have float?

Yes. Ultralite offers a fixed and a float version of the cleat. The float cleat offers 4 degrees of float.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

OK thank you for that HammerTime2 they got the cleat the floats.

They still need a platform. :lol:

MortenE

by MortenE

Why would a platform make any difference when soles are as stiff as they are nowadays and the bolt pattern of the cleat the same? I don't see how it could matter.

giant man

by giant man

HammerTime2 wrote:
stella-azzurra wrote:By the way people who like float. Where is that happening? I have virtually no float on my cleats but there are many that like the float.

http://www.ultralitesports.com/pages/faq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; wrote:Do the pedals have float?

Yes. Ultralite offers a fixed and a float version of the cleat. The float cleat offers 4 degrees of float.

4 degrees float - yippee ay eh ....

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

MortenE wrote:Why would a platform make any difference when soles are as stiff as they are nowadays and the bolt pattern of the cleat the same? I don't see how it could matter.

I already explained this. But do buy them then tell us how they are. There's no time like the present. Thanks.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

MortenE wrote:Why would a platform make any difference when soles are as stiff as they are nowadays and the bolt pattern of the cleat the same? I don't see how it could matter.

It will be a source of so called hotspots. Particularly noticeable when you really put pressure on the pedals, even more so under hot weather conditions.
Anyone who's ever been on four point cleat mounting pedal systems (Time TBT, Speedplay etc.) will agree that the more diffuse nature of that system is superior in that respect.

To circumvent this you can create a path of low resistance to drain energy away from where you do not want it to be reflected back into the system. To achieve this on a delta type cleat you can tighten the front bolt really tight and the other two on the base of the triangle only handtight.
This, in essence, mimics a mechanical diode.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

horse

by horse

You mean mechanical rectifier? Diode is more appropriate term for electrical current.

Anyways, you could better try "handtighting" the top/front bolt and really tighten the bottom base bolts in the delta pattern.
But to what torque ratios? Which option you choose depends on resonance of action producing the unwanted resultant feedback.

Bear in mind, most people will not use a torque wrench tightening cleats. Except perhaps Snobs. So on that note it's difficult to qualify a statement as to which pedal system produces more or fewer hotspots.

If you imagine the cleat is integrated directly into the shoe (ie, say via glue/epoxied) then irrespective of the pattern/shape of the cleat, the issue of feedback turns onto the pedal. An immediate question is the surface area of contact between the pedal and cleat/shoe. Which do you think will produce more hotspots? Eg, a surface laminate vs a 1-D contact patch such as a blade.

Anyways in conclusion, if you think in terms of the resonance route, a less stiff shoe sole should absorb more feedback than a really stiff one. By that note, with stiff shoe soles the question of pedal pattern should not matter.

Beware some 4 pattern systems tend to use 3 point adapters to fit the majority of shoes on the market. So 4 is not always 4, unless actually stated.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

With stiff soles, the contact area doesnt matter. What does matter, though, is the width of the contact surfaces. To that end, these pedals do pretty well.
If actual area mattered, speedplays would get more love. Their contact width is weak, weak, weak. That's why speedplays get the dreaded rocking while spd-sl do not.
I cannot see these pedals developing much rock, as it is supported across quite a bit of axle.

horse

by horse

thisisatest wrote:With stiff soles, the contact area doesnt matter. What does matter, though, is the width of the contact surfaces.

Good point. However the issue addressed was related to hotspots.

thisisatest wrote:To that end, these pedals do pretty well.
If actual area mattered, speedplays would get more love. Their contact width is weak, weak, weak. That's why speedplays get the dreaded rocking while spd-sl do not.
I cannot see these pedals developing much rock, as it is supported across quite a bit of axle.

All SP need to do is rotate the cleat around 90 degrees maintaining the same shape, thereby improving on the rocking scenario to an extent.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

na, they just need to make the pedal wider. the pedal needs to be nearly as wide as the shoe, if at all possible. front/back distance can stay the same. rotating the cleat does nothing for the contact point width-the contact surface is circular. of course, the cleat would also need to contact the widest edges of the pedal.

artray

by artray

what about if you just buy some pedals that have been developed with thought and not rushed released for some WW to slip over and break there leg just to gain a few grams . They should come with a warning " take off your shoes if not riding your bike "

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Leviathan

by Leviathan

its fantastic that there is a small, but oh so unerringly vocal, group within this forum which has SO much experience that it can cast an unequivocal view as to a products functionality (not preference, functionality) without ever having to do anything so insignificant as, for example, trying them. Well done, internet rewards for you all.