New weight weenie pedals on the market- Ultralite Sports

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

clouchi

by clouchi

I cannot get over the problem that crashes do not seem to have been accounted for. It is OK for track use, but not for use on roads. I prefer Shimano's efforts and take the hit on the weight in order to get smooth bearings, longevity and know my feet should disengage in a crash.

Weight is not the be all and end all in certain components, and the danger of injury does not seem to have been addressed here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythical

by mythical

roca rule wrote:if you read the velonews article you are going to find that they state that they have a 13mm stack height wich is on par with speedplays (i don't know if it takes the adapter as a default configuration).
That's indeed what it says, although Speedplay specifies a 11.5mm stack height for their Zero pedals, which includes a 3-bolt adapter plate, but 8.5mm directly bolted to the shoe sole. My setupis the latter.
http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.zero wrote:THE LOWEST STACK HEIGHT: The Zero cleat positions your foot closer to the top of the spindle for improved power transfer.
11.5 mm stack height for 3-hole mounting
8.5 mm stack height for 4-hole mounting
Initially, I rode with adapter plates to dial in cleat position, but subsequently drilled my soles to ditch unnecessary stack height. I find over 4mm extra stack height is unacceptable, at whatever weight reduction, and I'm certain I'm not the only one who feels this way. In fact, I wish there were solid pedals with even less cleats to the pedal axis distance.
BobSantini wrote:They seem to work acceptably. What is "DU"?
It's a type of dry-lube bushing with a teflon or PTFE-impregnated bronze coating on its sliding surface. They're quite durable and an industry standard for parts that need to move but don't necessarily require the smoothness of a bearing or need to operate within limited dimensional constraints.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

BobSantini

by BobSantini

mythical wrote:
BobSantini wrote:They seem to work acceptably. What is "DU"?
It's a type of dry-lube bushing with a teflon or PTFE-impregnated bronze coating on its sliding surface. They're quite durable and an industry standard for parts that need to move but don't necessarily require the smoothness of a bearing or need to operate within limited dimensional constraints.

So not depleted uranium then. Just as well. This is weight weenies. :mrgreen:
r o y g b i v

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

although i initially mentioned DU as a bushing material, i was really thinking about Igus bushings. they come in all sorts of specifics, but often they are cream-colored. i think that's what the EEbrake bushings are made of currently...

Arky

by Arky

You would be surprised how smooth delrin is on a metal surface. Even with contamination, it works extremely well. In my experience, high load and extreme thermal cycling are what require teflon impregnated sintered bronze. With proper design to prevent rocking, I could see this delrin application working very well.

ave

by ave

It does not look very easy to clip in/out.

Also, does it unclip in a crash just like a Keo for example?

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

I checked them out today at the show and I was pretty impressed! Im going to have to try a pair
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

What does "check out" mean? Did you get to try them in any sense? Although I guess to do so with your feet would require wearing a shoe with their cleat.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

I did not ride them but played with a shoe that had a cleat mounted on it (in my hand not on my foot) seemed easy to get in and out but without the risk of un clipping.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

MortenE

by MortenE

Looks like the concept has the potential of very low stack height. Weird that they went for as much as 13mm.
I'm shure there are reasons though.

I would love to try them, but not at that price!

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Weird that they went for as much as 13mm.

Just from looking at various pics of the cleats alone I feel it is definitely doable to lower stack height. The problem is often one of compatibility with various brands etc., etc.
Then again the clipping system may also require a minimum amount of stack for clearance, who knows....

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I went by and took a look at these at the show and liked them. I'll definitely be ordering a set to test as soon as they are available. Releasing in a crash doesn't seem like it should be much of a problem. It's definitely a different movement from what's traditional but doesn't seem to be any more complicated.

As far as bearings go, the cleat is not the bearing and does not rotate on pedal. The pedal itself does rotate. The black part rotates on a bearing and the blue part rotates on a bushing.

djconnel

by djconnel

I asked them about crash-release, and the response I got was that in a crash the foot typically impacts the ground pushing it inward, which will release the cleat. I asked about the other foot and the guy to whom I talked said, in his extensive crashing experience with other systems, it's common to not release both feet. But I suspect crashes are violent enough that the foot will come out.

I'd really like to try these pedals, except I have expensive Bonts with 4-hole drilling.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

After careful study of the video on the entry and exit of the cleat. Then the materials used, the design, the platform size. These pedals don't cut it. Weight or no weight I give these pedals 2 1/2 red peppers out of 5 on the suck-o-meter. :lol: People will be trading these in in no time. :P
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MortenE

by MortenE

Why?