Planet X 20mm carbon rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sawyer

by sawyer

Anyone have any experience of these? If yes, would be interested in the build and how they are getting on. How is the braking surface ?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dalai

by Dalai

Discussed a fair bit in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I ordered 2 set of these rims and plan to build up shortly. Rim weights varied greatly! Fronts 263g and 273g, rear 261g and 291g...

They look good - expect those who have built them up will reply shortly.

yz387

by yz387

I built a set of these last spring and have put > 1000 miles on them to date and I am very happy.

The good:
They built up nice and straight and they are proving to be very durable. I have raced a crit on bumpy old brick streets and have hit a couple of pretty good potholes with them and they still look like new with no signs of problems.

The average:
Braking surface is ok. I do feel some pulsing at the lever, but not a lot more than I have come to expect from the high end, name brand carbon rims. Braking power/modulation in dry conditions with the supplied pads are also ok. It is by no means on par with aluminum, but about average for carbon. Note: I live in Michigan, so I am not doing any mountain decents.

The Bad:
Braking in the wet with the supplied pads is terrible. I have only been caught racing in the rain once with this setup, but is was scarry. Felt like I was riding cross with cantis in the mud. Another issue I am having is spokes coming loose. This isn't really the fault of the rim, but rather the hub and lacing pattern I chose. I plan to rebuild them this winter with a differnt lacing pattern in an attempt to eliminate the issue.

Overall, I am very happy with the rims and would highly recommend them.

cerro

by cerro

Used one front rim for first time today. Built it up with DT Aerolite and a DT 190 hub yesterday. Works well but braking in wet wasn't the best. Using yellow swiss stop.

Dalai

by Dalai

@yz387 What was the lacing pattern and what lacing pattern will you use on rebuilding?

gilesharrison

by gilesharrison

I've got 3 of these rims. Weights range from 256g-278g so pretty respectable. I've had no problems with them so far (probably about 3000km on them in total). Easy to build, braking is fine. Not the stiffest rim but not awful either. I have built them radially on the front and 2x DS/ radial NDS. I did have a couple of spokes brake on the NDS early on: initially I built them heads out but the spoke tension was fairly low. I swapped it to heads in which allows a slightly wider bracing angle. No problems encountered since.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

I've probably got 500km on mine. American Classic 58 front hub, FFWD rear, DT Aerolite and ALU nipples. Radial on the front and 2x drive and non drive side.

I'm using SS Yellows and the braking in the dry is alright. Its OK in the wet once you've got rid of surface water. They performed well in the Alps.

From my research they are the same rims as the FFWD F2R. The specs on the PX and FFWD websites is identical.

gilesharrison

by gilesharrison

Yes, I'm sure it's the same rim as the FFWD F2R. In fact, when Planet X first started selling low profile carbon rims, they had FFWD decals on. I imagine they got a cheap deal on a production over-run or something before they had them made with their own name on.

Dalai

by Dalai

Nice Maximilian - what weight did they come in at?

I plan on building mine up very similar to yours. I have an AC micro 58 for the front and C-4 180 for the rear. Also looking at radial for the front and 2X drive and non drive side on the rear…

russianbear

by russianbear

Would these be a bad idea at 85kg?

andyindo

by andyindo

Anyone know if you can get the decals off?

Willier

by Willier

andyindo wrote:Anyone know if you can get the decals off?

AFAIK they are under clear coat

yz387

by yz387

Dalai wrote:@yz387 What was the lacing pattern and what lacing pattern will you use on rebuilding?

I built mine on BHS hubs which have a large disparity between the DS and NDS bracing angle. I used 2X on the DS and decided to use radial, heads out on the NDS to try to even out the spoke tension. However, I was only able to get NDS spoke tension to about 50% of DS. Over time, I have been having issues with the NDS spokes loosening up. When I rebuild, I plan to go to 1X heads in on the DS to get a wider angle on the DS. I am still unsure what I will do on the NDS, maybe 2X. Regardless of what I choose for the NDS, going to heads in on the DS should really help even out the spoke tension.

As for the graphics, yes, they are under the clear coat.

Dalai

by Dalai

@russianbear - when these rims (if they are indeed the same rims as used previously by FFWD) they had a max weight recommendation of 80kg.

@yz387 Appreciate the extra details.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Anybody any experience with the complete Planet X wheelset with the 22mm rims?
I'm nearly 80gr and racing in Belgium.
Are they stiff enough for a good sprint?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com