Felt FA/F75 7031g (15lbs 8oz) build for $1600

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ch1llg

by ch1llg

aaric wrote:You are forgetting air in the tires too ;)

I think your budget is possible, just not with clinchers. You could take 400grams or so off at the same price for some used tubs IMO...but I suppose that's not very practical 8)

I can get new tubular 50mm wheels from Far sports for 488 bucks. Ive never used Tubs before, heard there an expensive flat "that's going to happen"

I was considering these http://www.ebay.com/itm/700C-27mm-clinc ... 33778098c1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with a red cassette, saving me 343 grams. I could then pick up some used C7's or planet x brakes and stay in budget. I like the modulation of the Force brakes compared to light brakes though.
2011 Felt F5 Limited
2007 Lynskey Level 2
2008 Masi Speciale Fixed
2011 Felt F75

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

ch1llg wrote:I was considering these http://www.ebay.com/itm/700C-27mm-clinc ... 33778098c1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I highly doubt those will weigh 1390g. The rims weigh around 445g so for two they would weigh ~900l, leaving 400g for hubs, spokes & nipples. Some WW hubs will weigh around 290g so you've got 110g for spokes and nipples... not going to happen (110g is about right for 24 CX-Rays)
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Kastrup

by Kastrup

Maybe go for a BHS build? I build a set with their hubs, aerolite spokes, brass nipples and their 475 gram C472 rims and it came in at 1450 grams.
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

ch1llg

by ch1llg

Almost finished the build last night. The only thing left to do is the left side bar tape, it was 1230 am and I had to work today, getting old sucks, LOL.

Here she is so far

At this point I see there is no way possible to get down to 6800 grams on the budget I gave myself.

the bike weighed in at 7490 grams (16lbs 8oz) I guess all in all not to bad considering My lynskey with full red and Ksyrium Sl's comes in at 16lbs 3oz.

If i had to put a dollar amount on every thing used I would say about $1300 bucks but I am assuming a lot since I took parts from other bikes and bartered stuff I wasn't using anymore. I really came out making money :P

So now its time to figure out what wheels to use.
2011 Felt F5 Limited
2007 Lynskey Level 2
2008 Masi Speciale Fixed
2011 Felt F75

roadytracky

by roadytracky

After reading a few WW posts on various aluminum frames, I bought a 2012 Felt F85. I pulled the trigger 2 weeks ago after my buddy told me Felt was clearing out their 2012 inventory, and I could get a great deal on an F Series. This bike is meant to be my spare/winter/crit bike so aluminum and cheap were 2 directions I was going in. After reading WW the past few months, I narrowed my list of bikes down to the CAAD10, Allez EVO, Giant TCR (the aluminum one), and the Felt F75. The CAAD10 was 1st on my list but after trying it out I realized there was no way their frame geometry would fit me - not even close. The other 3 all had similar geometry at least as far as small frames go. The Giant wasn't out with their 2013 aluminum frame in the US so that was ruled out. It was down to the Allez and the Felt. When my buddy told me about the Felt clearance deal I did my research and realized the Felt was the way to go. Instead of the F75 or FA (which wasn't sold here in 2012) I went with the F85 which was lower on the wrung and cheaper as well ($700). Framewise, the difference between the F75 and the F85 was BB30 vs. GXP, weight (1292g claimed weight for the F75 vs. 1320g for the F85), and paint (which might be the added weight on the F85). Everything else was the same - tubing, fork, geometry etc. Since I had an extra GXP crankset I wanted to use, and the F85 was $200 cheaper than the F75, I went with the F85. I used a bunch of the stock parts mixed with some of my own, including wheels. Without much effort or expense, the bike weighs 17.06lbs with pedals, cages, and Barfly. Since it's a spare bike that's about as far as I'm going Weight Weenie-wise, at least for now. So far I've been extremely happy. In fact, the Felt is the best riding bike I've owned, including my carbon-fiber 2012 Fuji Altamira Limited Edition (the all black model).
Last edited by roadytracky on Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roadytracky

by roadytracky

2012 Felt F85 (with a few component changes).
Attachments

ch1llg

by ch1llg

roadytracky wrote:2012 Felt F85 (with a few component changes).

I saw the close out list last month and was really tempted to pick up a F85 and do the same thing. I actually was looking at a Z5, but decided to hold off. My F75 is a spare bike as well and I stumbled across this 2011 on ebay and got a good deal on it. I'm taking it out for a ride tomorrow and will take better pictures, I am very pleased thus far

By the way your build is sick! What wheels are those?

I will be ordering 38mm clinchers for it and swapping the cassette to a red in the spring and it should be under 16 pounds.
2011 Felt F5 Limited
2007 Lynskey Level 2
2008 Masi Speciale Fixed
2011 Felt F75

Dave67

by Dave67

http://www.bdopcycling.com/Wheels-Tubulars.asp#W250
Can't find W150 listed anymore, I guess these are the new version. They also come in tubulars.

fitty4

by fitty4

nice bike! please turn the rear bottle cage and tak a picture of it outside :beerchug:

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

Your build turned out really nice. You can spend a lot of money chasing those last few grams. I spent many months doing research and sniping parts on ebay for my budget build. Enjoy!

ch1llg

by ch1llg

fitty4 wrote:nice bike! please turn the rear bottle cage and tak a picture of it outside :beerchug:

Doot, I saw that when I was on the final look over and adjustments. LOL
2011 Felt F5 Limited
2007 Lynskey Level 2
2008 Masi Speciale Fixed
2011 Felt F75

ch1llg

by ch1llg

Finally got to ride her yesterday and take some pics. I must say I am impressed with the stiffness, very responsive and fast. You can definitely feel everything in the road, Carbon does make a difference as far as smoothness goes. This bike is a sprinters dream, instant power transfer. But I don't think I could last more then 30 miles on it though.

2011 Felt F5 Limited
2007 Lynskey Level 2
2008 Masi Speciale Fixed
2011 Felt F75

roadytracky

by roadytracky

Wow, that turned out nice! I really didn't want to spend money on my F85, but your bike is inspiring. The white Elite cages are my favorite detail.

I would suggest trying a set of 50mm carbon clinchers on your bike to smooth out the ride. I was demoing the 50mm carbon Novatechs pictured on my Felt. Putting my aluminum Novatech Sprints on after riding the carbon 50's, I was shocked to find the smooth ride I'd been enjoying was gone. I thought 50mm carbon rims would ride stiffer than 24mm aluminum rims, but, at least in this case, the opposite is true. Even with the aluminum wheels, the F85 still has a surprisingly great ride though. Those 50mm Farsport clinchers that you mentioned sure are tempting (they seem too good to be true, but I've seen all of the positive comments on the WW Farsports thread so...).

ch1llg

by ch1llg

roadytracky wrote:Wow, that turned out nice! I really didn't want to spend money on my F85, but your bike is inspiring. The white Elite cages are my favorite detail.

I would suggest trying a set of 50mm carbon clinchers on your bike to smooth out the ride. I was demoing the 50mm carbon Novatechs pictured on my Felt. Putting my aluminum Novatech Sprints on after riding the carbon 50's, I was shocked to find the smooth ride I'd been enjoying was gone. I thought 50mm carbon rims would ride stiffer than 24mm aluminum rims, but, at least in this case, the opposite is true. Even with the aluminum wheels, the F85 still has a surprisingly great ride though. Those 50mm Farsport clinchers that you mentioned sure are tempting (they seem too good to be true, but I've seen all of the positive comments on the WW Farsports thread so...).

I just ordered a set of 38's for my F5. Im trying save up for the 50's as we speak for the 75. Your F85 is making me want a frame. I have a Rival group that would fit perfectly on it. I need a bike for my route at work :lol: plus the 2013 is all white!

Any more F85 inspiring pics :thumbup:
2011 Felt F5 Limited
2007 Lynskey Level 2
2008 Masi Speciale Fixed
2011 Felt F75

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

roadytracky

by roadytracky

How much are the Farsport 38's? I've been considering those as well. Look forward to hearing about your experience with them.

I've been changing things around on my F85. Tweaking, working out the bugs, adjusting the fit, changing components. I'll post some pics when I'm a bit happier with the way it looks (your bike set the bar very high). I changed the stem, to a 3t ARX Team I had lying around. It improved the fit, and dropped 31g, but the ARX Team's red stripe looks out of place on my bike. Again, I really don't want to spend $$$ on a "spare/winter" bike, but I'm considering buying a 3t ARX "Pro" to better match the rest of the bike.

BTW - I bought my F85 new for $700 (plus tax) for a complete 2012 stock bike. Of course I changed a few components, but still, Felt's clearance prices are a steal (my LBS had alot to do with it, too).