zipp 303 FCC Front / zipp 404 FCC Rear

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jameskack

by jameskack

I have been thinking of upgrading my road wheels for general Training/Racing function and have been looking at the ZIPP 303 FCC and 404 FCC varient. I have been thinking about combining a rear 404 FCC with a front 303 FCC as from what i have been able to gather the 303 offers better stability in windy conditions.

Has anyone tried this? Opinions warmly welcomed!

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

I run this combo, call it the 304. Have found it to be the best all round set for all conditions. Rear 404 is stiffer than the 303 and the weight penalty is minimal.
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jameskack

by jameskack

cwdzoot wrote:I run this combo, call it the 304. Have found it to be the best all round set for all conditions. Rear 404 is stiffer than the 303 and the weight penalty is minimal.

Did you try the 303 or 404 front & rear before deciding on this combination?

How do you find the performance of the 404 rear in the wind?

Elrey

by Elrey

404 with the small dimples are great. When it's windy you need to keep those hands on the bar ;)

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

jameskack wrote:
cwdzoot wrote:I run this combo, call it the 304. Have found it to be the best all round set for all conditions. Rear 404 is stiffer than the 303 and the weight penalty is minimal.

Yes I have owned both 303 and 404's and started using this combination when I was trying to decide which to use. The 404 on the rear is not detectable in the wind. I am 180lbs so never notice it but do notice it's stiffer out of the saddle for climbing and sprinting. The 303 can be felt in the wind at times but it's better than the 404 and still really aero and light.
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

jameskack

by jameskack

cwdzoot wrote:
jameskack wrote:

Yes I have owned both 303 and 404's and started using this combination when I was trying to decide which to use. The 404 on the rear is not detectable in the wind. I am 180lbs so never notice it but do notice it's stiffer out of the saddle for climbing and sprinting. The 303 can be felt in the wind at times but it's better than the 404 and still really aero and light.

Thats great, i think you have made my mind up for me. Guess they will make a nice xmas present to me :) Ill look at a set for next season.

Have you raced on them?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

I race on the same combo 303 front & 404 rear - FWIW I have found it the best of both worlds... deeper rear wheel has virtually nill impact to steering and keep the wheels light for steep climbs and the rear wheel is noticeably stiffer than the 303.