Extralight rear hub question

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
il professore

by il professore

Ok so I have an extralight slx rear hub. I went against my rule of never working on my own stuff- and I changed my cassette. I didn't torque the lockring properly and it came loose during a (century) ride and I was unable to pedal (all locked up). Anyways I torqued it down back at the start and continued on my way. Everything seemed fine but today I was descending the local mtn and as I freewheeled I could feel/see the hub trying to engage.

What's up with that? Did I torque the lock ring too much (no I didn't bother with a torque wrench) :shock:
Is something damaged irrevocably inside?
With the cassette off I try to spin the freehub backwards and it is really stiff.

any comments are appreciated..

I shouldn't have nice stuff.

by Weenie

by Werdna

I've never had a chance to break one of those hubs open yet,
but it seems like there is a seal either misplaced, put in backwards, improperly etc.
If anything else was wrong with it the freehub would either be locked up or not engaging.

Shop Owner

by madcow

It's possible when tightening the cassette you tightened the micro adjuster as well. The only things I can think of is something out of place inside the body or the micro adjuster is too tight. Whatever it is should be repairable.