HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:27 am 

Looking for a little insight from anyone who has knowledge on the subject. After debating on a new set of wheels, I have finally decided on a pair of Enve SES 3.4 Clinchers. A big deciding factor was the price at which my LBS was able to get them for me at. The question I have have concerns the hubs that the wheels will come with. The build that he can get me the best deal on come with the Tune 70 / 170 hub combo. However, I was offered an upgrade to the 45 / 150 hub combo for an extra few bucks. My question is the following: There is roughly a 55g weight savings with the hub upgrade, but at what cost (value)? I was just wondering if their was any loss of rigidity or more importantly durability with the lighter hubs since their is a little less material it is being manufactured with. At just under $2K, I can't pass this up for a new 2013 set, so any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:58 pm 
Shop Owner

I love the 70/170 hubs, but in most cases don't think the extra money for the 150 in the rear is worth it. In the states there is a big price difference between the 150 and 170 which I don't think is justified by the 15 grams of weight. However for the 45/70 there is almost a 30 gram savings for not a lot of money and there it makes a bit more sense. The straight pull spokes can be harder to locate if you have a broken spoke though. If the 150 is the older model with the carbon axle it also isn't nearly as easy to service as the new 170 with the blue body.

My recommendation would be to get the 70/170, or if you want to save weight mix them and get the 45/170.

Fair Wheel Blog

Friend me on Facebook for behind the scenes updates

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:58 pm 
  • 0.65 € (including 19% VAT)
  • 2441 components by tune

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:45 pm 

I have a 45/150 setup that i build myself with some Edge45 hoops. They have been flawless for over 3 1/2 years.

You pretty much have to remove the axle to install/remove the straight pull spokes. This goes for both hubs. It's not that hard to do. I don't use the Tune tools to do it. I just use a socket that's the same diameter as the axle to push the axle out.

The only thing that sucks about The MAG150 is it uses a Tune specific bearing (XOT bearing) that goes between the hub and free body. It's basically two different sized bearings sandwiched into one. This makes it hard to upgrade to aftermarket ceramic babies....but it can be done.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=100223

The 55ish grams weight savings is surely from the carbon axle and lack of of flanges due to straight pulls.

IMO and experience owning these hubs I don't think there is any loss of rigidity or importantly durability compared to the 70/170.
In fact I think the 45/150s are stronger due to the straight pull holes being reinforced with carbon.

If you can afford it. Get the 45/150 combo. You won't regret it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:53 pm 

Best review of hubs should help you decide if you enjoy a bit more reading:
http://fairwheelbikes.com/cycling-blog/ ... rload.html