2013 Parlee

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MarkThailand

by MarkThailand

I have decided to start the custom ordering process for the Z1.

The geometry will be a tweak of the geometry of my stock geometry Helix OS and purpose will be for fast century club rides. I will rely on Parlee for the tube set recommendations. I have also requested internal DI2 wiring and internal DI2 seat tube battery of the Shimano 9070 groupset.

Any thoughts on getting the Integrated Seat Post option - for those who have the Parlee ISP, how is it working for you? Is it a matter of diminishing returns? A slight reduction in weight, an overall increase in strength and stiffness of the seat tube-seat tube, iffy set back adjustability, limited vertical adjustment through a seat clamp adapter mechanism, difficult transport due to ISP length. On my Helix OS, I am quite happy with my Enve 25mm setback seatpost.

Although I am quite close on the geometry, I will take my time since my frame completion target date is next year - the Shimano 9070 is probably going to available next year.

Mark
2012 Lynskey R330 with SRAM Red Quarq
2013 Parlee Z1 with DA 9070
2013 Lynskey Helix OS II with SRAM Red

djconnel

by djconnel

incognitus wrote:Does not trigger the expected buy reflex, unfortunately - at least not judging by the pictures... :noidea:
Probably a great bike, though.

That is exactly triggers the "buy reflex" (great bike, well made, light weight, excellent ride).

Fortunately or not I've not been bitten by a buy reflex since my previous bike broke in 2008. Present bike is "good enough". Bit if I did want a new bike and money were no object the Z0 would be at the top of my list (along with Crumpton's super-light, for example).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I am on board (I like it) with the Z0 not the Z5) , and will most likly get one ,but....

Does anyone know, for sure, if the Z5sl example they had at Interbike (and mention in online Mags.) is the final version, they will be selling.

i.e. with the frame be both mechanical/electric, but the mechanical with require FULL LENGTH HOUSEING THROUGH THE FRAME :( (no cable stops, housing just goes internal)
I really like the new Z5, but I am still suprised if they are going to go this way (with the Z5, that is) . Parlee has always been about "top quality", you know.

Yes full lenght housing works fine, but it not as great and it is definitly heavier, and doesn't allow for thinks like iLinks, Nokon, etc... and the housing rattles in the frame (that has been my personal experience with frames with full internal housing)

It just seems like a "compromise" from a company that has never compromised.

Tell me I am wrong......please.... :(

I was planning on a Z5sl, but I WILL NOT GET IT" if it requires full housing through-out the frame for brakes & shifting.
(perhaps I'll look for NOS 2012 Z5sl)
Last edited by carbon2329 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

djconnel

by djconnel

I though the bike @ Interbike was a Z0.... (@ the Enve booth, which I managed to miss somehow).

And since it was custom, there was nothing "final" about: cable routing is customizable.

parlee_Z1
in the industry

by parlee_Z1

To clarify: The Z5i (and eventually the Z5 SLi) uses full length housing for mechanical drive trains. While originally we had our doubts about this, once we set it up and built a test mule and got some miles on it, we settled that this was the best way to build a singular frame set that could accommodate the most drive train options cleanly. While there are a lot of riders in the camp of mechanical only or electronic only forever, most riders and shops prefer the flexibility to change from one drive train to another over the lifespan of a bike. Making our frames as "open" as possible was the intention from our side when making the change(s). We also re-located the battery mount from the chain stay to under the down tube by the bottom bracket to accommodate both EPS and Di2 batteries in the same location.

There is a slight weight penalty to this configuration of ~50 grams with the addition of housing vs. our mechanical only bikes. The typical additional lengths of housing (Front Derailleur, Rear Derailleur and Rear Brake) to put the cables internal with full housing for a 56cm add ~70 grams to the build but we also delete all the external cable stops from the frame which saves ~20 grams. The advantage of this new system is that it is easier to install and service than many internal systems with guides/tubes or internal stops and most importantly the system is as close to 100% sealed as you can get. There are no breaks in the system where the liners or coatings on the cables can be compromised so we anticipate (based on our testing) better shifting performance over time vs. external systems. There is very little friction in a modern lined cable system especially where there are no bends or kinks in the housing so the additional housing lengths do not add a significant amount of drag. In both cases (front and rear) with mechanical cabling the radii are shallower which does not hurt the performance at all.

Regarding noise, we will be shipping, foam rubber grommets and liners that are installed on the outside of the housing which will prevent the cables from making noise against the inside of the tubes.

Overall I think riders will be pleased that the system "just works" and that a single frame design that works with all the major drive trains is a good thing.

Happy to discuss more any time.

tom at parlee cycles dot com

MarkThailand

by MarkThailand

parlee_Z1 wrote:To clarify: The Z5i (and eventually the Z5 SLi) uses full length housing for mechanical drive trains. While originally we had our doubts about this, once we set it up and built a test mule and got some miles on it, we settled that this was the best way to build a singular frame set that could accommodate the most drive train options cleanly. While there are a lot of riders in the camp of mechanical only or electronic only forever, most riders and shops prefer the flexibility to change from one drive train to another over the lifespan of a bike. Making our frames as "open" as possible was the intention from our side when making the change(s). We also re-located the battery mount from the chain stay to under the down tube by the bottom bracket to accommodate both EPS and Di2 batteries in the same location.

There is a slight weight penalty to this configuration of ~50 grams with the addition of housing vs. our mechanical only bikes. The typical additional lengths of housing (Front Derailleur, Rear Derailleur and Rear Brake) to put the cables internal with full housing for a 56cm add ~70 grams to the build but we also delete all the external cable stops from the frame which saves ~20 grams. The advantage of this new system is that it is easier to install and service than many internal systems with guides/tubes or internal stops and most importantly the system is as close to 100% sealed as you can get. There are no breaks in the system where the liners or coatings on the cables can be compromised so we anticipate (based on our testing) better shifting performance over time vs. external systems. There is very little friction in a modern lined cable system especially where there are no bends or kinks in the housing so the additional housing lengths do not add a significant amount of drag. In both cases (front and rear) with mechanical cabling the radii are shallower which does not hurt the performance at all.

Regarding noise, we will be shipping, foam rubber grommets and liners that are installed on the outside of the housing which will prevent the cables from making noise against the inside of the tubes.

Overall I think riders will be pleased that the system "just works" and that a single frame design that works with all the major drive trains is a good thing.

Happy to discuss more any time.

tom at parlee cycles dot com

Thanks for answering one of my questions regarding the Z1 internal DI2 cabling issue. Though, my custom request takes this development one step further by asking for an internal DI2 battery of the Shimano 9070 system and thereby giving up the flexibility of choosing the EPS system.

My next question applies to the Parlee Integrated Seat Post option. Can you please describe the Parlee ISP and saddle clamp system employed?

Thanks.

Mark

Naturel

by Naturel

Hi,

Just a question:

Is a Z5SL so stniff and nervous than a CERVELO R3SL or R5?

Thank You.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

Tom,

Thanks for confirming that. It's good to hear it directly form the sourse.

Arc

by Arc

Will the new Z5i sl be the same frame as Z5i - but with ti hardware. Or is it different tubes as well ? Just wondering if it would be worth the wait (heard sl wont be out until Feb/March).

parlee_Z1
in the industry

by parlee_Z1

The 2013 Z5 SLi should be about the same weight savings from the Z5i as it was from the standard Z5, 100-150grams lighter.