New Garmin Edge 1000

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

nice. i can skip the 810 or any iteration in-between. looks like a nice size for my aging eyes.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Damn, that's one huge bitch!

I like the landscape orientation option, though.

kode54

by kode54

Tiliquist....

i overlaid the Garmin 810 over the Garmin 1000 in one of DCRainmakers photo...and the mount looks to be slightly off centered unlike the Garmin 800/810 where it is centrally located (although difficult to tell from the pic). it would be nice to still use your Garmin 800 mount with the 1000. i suppose you will be making some alterations to the length of your mounts in this case. and seeing that it is thinner as well...possibly a change in mount height as well?
Last edited by kode54 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

So much for my Tiliquist mount working on that. I hope your going to start redesigning them.

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

Hmm and still no official support for Bluetooth Smart Sensors. Yet... This would be personally for me a huge dealbreaker if Garmin will activate this feature. But I dont see that coming soon. But the landscape option is really nice. But till one unit will accept both ANT+ and Bluetooth Smart sensors I will stay with my Garmin 500.

shlammed

by shlammed

Would be really cool if you could set the GPS to shift your DI2 system for you based on your current speed, cadence, past climbs/decents and the projected incline that the GPS knows is coming up on that trail. That way you just mash and go.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Why they just getting bigger and bigger.
My Edge500's screen is more than enough for me. I don't really see a reason to get something bigger, heavier and more expensive. (if you don't need maps, but I have my phone for it, if really needed)

djm

by djm

Holy.. that is huge. 150mm custom stem required.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

What I'm interested in is, how exactly is it connecting with Di2.

rijndael

by rijndael

MNX1024 - What more do you want to know, other than what was covered in the article?

The Edge 1000 will communicate with the recently announced Shimano D-Fly Data Management function, that’ll be available any day now. Shimano’s $80 accessory (SM-EWW01) will plug into your existing Di2 Dura-Ace 9070, Ultegra 6870 Di2 and Ultegra 6770 units. In doing so, it’ll transmit the gearing data via private ANT to the Garmin Edge 1000.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

@rijndael I didn't read the article posted on this thread, so I didn't know that it was going to use an accessory from Shimano. Actually read about it from Garmin's own site which never mention how the connectivity works. Since it's sent through ANT+ guess the gearing display will probably work with any ANT+ device out there that has the interface programmed in.

rijndael

by rijndael

The quoted article says "private ANT" and not ANT+, and I'm not sure why.

djm

by djm

Shimano utilises a private ANT protocol and not ANT+.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

That thing really is big isnt it?! The 810 is pretty huge already and it makes it look pretty small. I like the 810 for general riding and training but you just cant beat the 500 for racing as far as garmin's go. I would love for them to make a racer specific computer abit smaller or the same size as a 500 with ant+, good pm support and the di2 connection maybe not even the GPS.

Also as far as the di2 connection goes is seems like shimano will also soon be integrating the wireless d-fly into their junction boxes; it was even listed as part of the 5 port junction I believe (I read this in another thread).