Powertap 2012 Range

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wasabi1

by wasabi1

Looking for a powertap to build into a training wheel.

Looking at the new range for 2012. Appear to be three models... PRO, G3 and G3C.
G3 and G3C are the same bar the ceramic bearings.

Is the only difference between the PRO and G3, 100gms in weight? PRO is £300 cheaper here in the UK and as part of a fairly heavy training wheel, would probably go for the lower cost option.

Does anyone know of any functional difference across the range?

Rick

by Rick

I can't claim to be an expert on this, but I looked at all the Powertaps recently because I just purchased an SL+ on a ridiculously low price sale at Neuvation. To my understanding, the functions were all the same. The differences are wired/wireless and then weight reductions or the inclusion of ceramic bearings. .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LionelB

by LionelB

G3 is the new range that came out this year. basically lighter, slimmer and all black. The Pro is still the old range, heavier, bulkier and silver.

Function wise I think it is very similar.

The new G3 could be a bit easier to service from what I read.

wasabi1

by wasabi1

As far as I understand the PRO is part of the new 2012 range. It also comes in a black colourway.

Therefore the only real difference must be weight.

LionelB

by LionelB

Had a look at the website, the Pro, looks to me like an old PRo+ painted black.

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

wasabi1 wrote:Looking for a powertap to build into a training wheel.

Looking at the new range for 2012. Appear to be three models... PRO, G3 and G3C.
G3 and G3C are the same bar the ceramic bearings.

Is the only difference between the PRO and G3, 100gms in weight? PRO is £300 cheaper here in the UK and as part of a fairly heavy training wheel, would probably go for the lower cost option.

Does anyone know of any functional difference across the range?

The G3 and G3C are the same with the exception of ceramic bearings in the G33(duh).

The G3 is 325 grams, has wider flanges than the old Pro model so it will build a stiffer wheel, a smaller overall hub profile, all of the electronics are in the serviceable cap instead of inside the actual hub(the strain gauges are still in the hub but it's the electronics that need servicing/replacing 98% of the time), is ANT+ compatible, and is 1.5% accurate.

The Pro is 446 grams, is ANT+ compatible(the old Pro's weren't), like the G3 all of the electronics are in the cap now instead of the hub, has a 15mm alloy axle(the old ones were smaller and steel), and is 1.5% accurate.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

nothingman

by nothingman

As an owner of the all-black 2012 PRO alloy wheelset (took delivery yesterday), I can confirm that it's exactly the same as the Pro+ with a small weight saving.

The electronics are not changed, as they are on the G3. One of the first things I did was open up the end cap and it's the same as the Gen2 PowerTap.

Overall, the build looks nice for my purposes. 32h, 3x, DT Comp spokes, and the new A23 rim. Perfect for training and the odd race. I have carbon tubulars for real race days. The new front hub is a huge improvement over the old one. Looks much like a Shimano hub.

parajba

by parajba

nothingman wrote:As an owner of the all-black 2012 PRO alloy wheelset (took delivery yesterday), I can confirm that it's exactly the same as the Pro+ with a small weight saving.

The electronics are not changed, as they are on the G3. One of the first things I did was open up the end cap and it's the same as the Gen2 PowerTap.

Overall, the build looks nice for my purposes. 32h, 3x, DT Comp spokes, and the new A23 rim. Perfect for training and the odd race. I have carbon tubulars for real race days. The new front hub is a huge improvement over the old one. Looks much like a Shimano hub.

Roughly, do you know the weight of the 2012 PowerTap Pro hub/Velocity A23 rim/DT Comp spokes (32) you have bought? I'm looking to buy the same wheel.

maquisard

by maquisard

My 2011 Powertap SL+ build with Velocity A23, and 28 CX ray spokes came in at 1024g

That is with rim tape and freehub.

A pic, https://yfrog.com/casfxtj:tw1

parajba

by parajba

Thanks...that's quite light for a PT training wheel! But can't open the pic?
Given that am 67kg, what do you reckon how many spokes I need for reliability? 28 or 32?

maquisard

by maquisard

You'll be fine with 28

OJ

by OJ

Any idea if the G3 hubs would still work with servo 2.4 as well?
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

parajba

by parajba

@Maquisard: thanks. They also have 20 and 24 spoke wheels. Do you think 24 would also make a reliable and strong wheel?

maquisard

by maquisard

24 should be okay for your weight as well.

HED build up their Powertap wheels with 24 and say they are suitable for a rider weight of up to 90 kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

parajba

by parajba

maquisard wrote:24 should be okay for your weight as well.

HED build up their Powertap wheels with 24 and say they are suitable for a rider weight of up to 90 kg

I see, thanks. So if I wanted to err on the side of the overbuilt (just in case, as they will last longer and could abuse them a little on my daily London commute as well just for a little weight penalty!) I should then get the 28 or 32? will it make any difference to me i.e. 67 kg going from 28 to 32?