Alternative to Bora One Clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dogmatic13

by Dogmatic13

Hi all,

Currently running Bora One Clinchers on my C60 and I love em. Was on a pair of Assaults previously and they don't compare at all.

Working on my next build now and pretty sure I will go for DA DI2's. As such, much as I love Campy wheels, I can't get past doing a Shimagnolo mashup.

Any suggestions for the closest alternative to the Boras? Looking for something with a very similar ride and great to hear some actual experience out there.

I'm thinking Fulcrum Speed 40 C's - thoughts? Frankly wanting something a bit deeper between 45-50mm.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Delorre

by Delorre

As my bora 35 have some severe uv decoloration, I'm about to replace them. If so, they will be replaced by Roval Clx 32. I have them' in disc version on my Endurace, and really like the set. Also a little wider. A 50mm version also exists if you want something in the 45 range.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Dogmatic13 wrote:Hi all,

Currently running Bora One Clinchers on my C60 and I love em. Was on a pair of Assaults previously and they don't compare at all.

Working on my next build now and pretty sure I will go for DA DI2's. As such, much as I love Campy wheels, I can't get past doing a Shimagnolo mashup.

Any suggestions for the closest alternative to the Boras? Looking for something with a very similar ride and great to hear some actual experience out there.

I'm thinking Fulcrum Speed 40 C's - thoughts? Frankly wanting something a bit deeper between 45-50mm.

Thanks!

Im pretty happy with my Bora Ultras on Dura Ace 9150 di2, on a Giant TCR SL. Mix and match works well when all the parts are premium.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Just get the Boras and be the first to actually remove the water slide transfers from the wheels. Or don't worry about the clash of the titan logos and be the man that knows what he's doing when someone criticizes you for the Shimagnolo mashup. Wheels are one of the few items you can really get away with that compatibility wise.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Dogmatic13

by Dogmatic13

Thanks for the replies guys. Honestly, I don't really care what people might say with a Shimagnolo mix. For me, it really is just myself being picky and purist and petty.

I do agree with the views that it's fine to mix them, and underlying it really is do what gets you the functionality you want (and therefore makes you happy too) [emoji41]

Here's a pic btw from my LBS of one customer mixing new DA with Boras. Given too that new DA is more stealth, it goes well with the Bora dark labels.

havana

by havana

Calnago wrote:Just get the Boras and be the first to actually remove the water slide transfers from the wheels. Or don't worry about the clash of the titan logos and be the man that knows what he's doing when someone criticizes you for the Shimagnolo mashup. Wheels are one of the few items you can really get away with that compatibility wise.

He won't be the first. I am ;)

Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

Delorre

by Delorre

havana wrote:
Calnago wrote:Just get the Boras and be the first to actually remove the water slide transfers from the wheels. Or don't worry about the clash of the titan logos and be the man that knows what he's doing when someone criticizes you for the Shimagnolo mashup. Wheels are one of the few items you can really get away with that compatibility wise.

Are those the newer, wider ones? I tried on mine, and even strong aceton did nothing...

duende

by duende

havana wrote:

Beautiful pic! Where is that may I ask??

havana

by havana

Gran Canaria

Yes, those are the newer ones. Decals are removed by a professional paintshop. Cost me €300.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

Delorre

by Delorre

havana wrote:Gran Canaria

Yes, those are the newer ones. Decals are removed by a professional paintshop. Cost me €300.

Can you post of couple of pics of the wheels? The look completely matt, but from the pics, it's not clear if the carbon wease is still visible

havana

by havana

The finish is matte indeed. You can still see the weave (hard to see on the picture).

sawyer

by sawyer

Great job on the decal removal there - interesting work

I would still not tolerate it due to the G3 giveaway

TBH I'd either go Fulcrum Quattro Carbon is you don't want to spend much or Fulcrum 40C / Zipp 303 / Roval 32 CLX if you are ok with a bigger outlay

Wiggle have decent prices on the 40C
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

apricotwalnut

by apricotwalnut

is that removed logo Bora50? or speed40c?

havana

by havana

Bora Ultra it is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ntb1001

by ntb1001

I'm curious how my Zipp 303 Firecrest clinchers compare to the Bora's. I really like my wheels, but I've wanted Bora's for a while

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk