Deda's new stem and handlebar

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

inyang

by inyang

IhmeKameli wrote:Obviously many of you have installed these on your bikes.Could you please tell me safe torques (Nm) without slippage, when installing Superleggera bars to the Superleggero stem.
Only information i have found is on Deda website, first 5Nm then 8Nm.This is way too much, i think.
I do have a good torque wrench (Wera), and always use carbon paste for this kind of jobs.
Thanks in advance.

Above 5Nm will lead to bars giving way

Did an install, went by feel, all ok.

Then read the manual and (stupidly) went that route.
5Nm, all tight
Went up and the little.tiny.bad sound of carbon giving way......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

markyboy

by markyboy

I am on my second set of bars as the first set was torque to 5nm and cracked,i got refunded and bought a second set then crack hit a pothole and bars cracked again,these bars are s**t and wafer thin,3t for me now all the way.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

BRM

by BRM

What stem do you use with these cracked bars?

markyboy

by markyboy

BRM wrote:What stem do you use with these cracked bars?

deda superleggero stem,it seems like the front plate digs in as its in 2 pieces, causing it to crack.
I think if it was a one piece plate it might be different.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

borja wrote:I have been talking with the deda engineer.. superlegera/superleggero is made to be good in stifness to weight ratio, however they are not engineered to be as stiff as Deda35.
I use 35 superleggera bar + 35 alloy stem 120mm and all together feels really stiff. The bar is very stiff on the top but not so on the drops.

I started a new thread about this, but should have replied to this instead. So here goes;

I have the Superleggera stem, bars and seat post.

Stem is fine, as is the seat post.

The bars though...

-Flexy as hell in the drops. I was on Zero100 before and they were much stiffer.
-They slipped at the stem a few times, despite being correctly torqued to 5nm with a digital torque wrench, and carbon assembly paste being present.
-The place where the shifters clamps shows some damage (light compression of the carbon, rather than cracking, but I am keeping a very close eye on it, rest assured)

For the money, I am pretty much unhappy with them...

LionelB

by LionelB

I have both the superlegerra and the 35 superlegerra, the 35 combo is clearly stiffer but I wonder if the stem has a lot to do with it. The 35 stem as one full faceplate where the superlegerro 31.8 stem has just 2 pieces.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

When holding the bars on the tops, as far from the centre as possible, I can only induce a small amount of flex with my hand, at a stand-still, with both my feet on the floor.

Doing the same thing, with my hand in the drops, I can see visible flexing, without pushing very hard at all.

While the stem may have something to do with this, I think this is more a case of the drop area not being made stiff enough.

gmakris

by gmakris

Deda made some improvements in Superleggera handlebars for 2015 such as internal cable routing, 1cm inreased drop length and more contact area for the upper side. The weight for No 42 is slighlty reduced at 176 gr - I will post some pics later....

scico

by scico

Thx!

thp

by thp

Whoa... how can we tell if retailers have the 2015 version? Is there a different SKU to look for?
Any improvements to the stem to reach the advertised weights? Same with Seatpost.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

No problems with the bars here but I have been very cautious about torque. Done mostly buy feel but the VAR torque wrench says I have done them to 4NM. I have used carbon paste as well. Hit many holes hard and the bars have not budged or cracked so 4NM may be the limit. I don't think the bars are bad so long as you do not over torque, instructions I find can be misleading and I mostly ignore them so go by feel as a tight as I dare.

gmakris

by gmakris

bm0p700f wrote:No problems with the bars here but I have been very cautious about torque. Done mostly buy feel but the VAR torque wrench says I have done them to 4NM. I have used carbon paste as well. Hit many holes hard and the bars have not budged or cracked so 4NM may be the limit. I don't think the bars are bad so long as you do not over torque, instructions I find can be misleading and I mostly ignore them so go by feel as a tight as I dare.

After reading the issue in this topic I decided to torque in 4nm and it's ok till know. Since the 2015 model is not gritted in stem contact area I used tacx red carbon paste and I don't have slippage. I am light rider so I don't put much effort in my handlebars though....

gmakris

by gmakris

thp wrote:Whoa... how can we tell if retailers have the 2015 version? Is there a different SKU to look for?
Any improvements to the stem to reach the advertised weights? Same with Seatpost.

The SKU was DDS42B for 42cm - here are some pics - for stem I prefer using a simple aluminium Deda Zero which is ligh enough (136gr for 110cm) and stealth as I wanted to be

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Just received my Deda Superleggero Stem, 130mm: 117.8g

KWalker

by KWalker

Any used the stem with some Newton classics? Thinking of putting this on a new build.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com