2016 Merida Scultura 740g

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

53x12

by 53x12

740g supposedly for a small/medium.

On another note, whoever took the picture must be new to cycling.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/05/11/201 ... the-world/
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nlouthan

by nlouthan

:exactly:

53x12

by 53x12

Also they have the 680g Scultura 9000 LTD. Honestly, I would never have considered a Merida in the past as they were never on my radar. But with the new Scultura and the new Reacto they really have some nice bikes.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ltd-44281/
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Unusual way to feed the cables topside of the downtube

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Wilier has the same setup and theirs can also accommodate a barrel adjuster there, which is nice. Keeps the cables symmetrical out front. This Scultera has inline adjusters in the photo though.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It seems the competition of the lightest production bike is "in the news" these days!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Looks clean except the cable routing.

Very common design, if it had standard rear brake on seat stays, you would say damn I've seen this bike a thousands time already.

Almost every bike with tucked rear brake at the chainstays had bad comments about the adjustment or stopping power. I doubt it saves a lot of watts aero-wise so I'd say except looking cool, it doesn't add anything or even can be an issue.

Also a tucked rear caliper makes the front caliper look out of place.
Last edited by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez on Tue May 12, 2015 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

prebsy

by prebsy

I had the same cable routing on my cervelo R2, it was a bit finicky with my slammed front end.

As for the LTD, bb mounted rear brake and stock cable housing.... COME ON SON!!!!

ergott

by ergott

Were does one shop for Merida in the US?

mythical

by mythical

All this commotion and not even the lightest version being shown? C'mon, weenies!

Anyway, a brand can build a frame, drop a few grams on the next competitor, and take a seemingly pretty standard lightest production bike component kit. And voilà!! Weight sans pedals, of course.

This is the 4.56kg/10.05lb Scuptura 9000 LTD. (Why is there Sram Red 22 on this bike with that name and not Shimano Dura-Ace 9000? Misleading name indeed.)

Compare that to the previous claimed as the lightest production bike, the 4.65kg Trek Émonda SLR10. It's easy to see that Merida beat the Trek because of the crankset weight, as Trek uses a GXP version of the Red 22 cranks instead of the obvious and superior choice being the BB30 version.

Personally, I don't believe any professional cyclist would risk his or her life racing one of these bikes with the specified component selection. I sure wouldn't!
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

derailer

by derailer

ergott wrote:Were does one shop for Merida in the US?

I don't think you can get them in the US because Merida owns a big part of Specialized and does a great deal of their carbon manufacturing.

crimsonbadger

by crimsonbadger

mythical wrote:Personally, I don't believe any professional cyclist would risk his or her life racing one of these bikes with the specified component selection. I sure wouldn't!

Arguably, the only components that aren't race-worthy on that Trek are the Tufo tubulars (and there are throngs of folks who would even disagree with that statement).

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Of the 2 pictured the Emonda is more impressive for hitting it's (slightly) higher weight with a standard gruppo. The Merida should be considered the lightest "production" bike the same way that a Veyron is a "production" car.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Stupid ugly cablerouting for the new Merido imo.

Did we allready see the new Merida at the Giro?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com