Think shift anyone?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dopesick187

by dopesick187

Not sure if this has been posted, didn't see it in the parlee aero thread. Anyway this is crazy, Di2 as we know it could soon be a thing of the past.
http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2011/06/ ... conc_9.php

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

They have copied the idea I first documented over 4 years ago and conceived of 41 years ago, although they haven't taken it all the way to continuously variable transmission yet. Perhaps royalties are in order?

On April 21, 2007 in http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtop ... 4&start=15 , Hammertime wrote:For your next project, please develop the NECVT for racing cycles. That stands for neuro-electronic continuously variable transmission. You "think" what gear you'd like to be in (or how much you want to change), and an electronic gizmo changes the gearing over its continuous range. That range should be as large as possible.

musket

by musket

I don't anyone ever thought of that prior 2007.

rustychain

by rustychain

Hammertime, royalties? Perhaps liabilities ;) Yes you are the George Jetson of weight weenies. Anyway the way my mind works? I'm sure you would agree, anything that relies on me thinking would be problematic at best. Heck, every time a cute girl walked past I'd drop my chain.
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

StuTheWeak

by StuTheWeak

I hear that they have that already on planet Vulcan, but that was coming from a Romulan...we know what great story tellers Romulans are.
Specialized Allez 06' "Rain Bike" 21.50lbs
Neuvation F100 11' "Road Bike" 16.80lbs
Specialized Tarmac Pro 11' "WW Bike" 14.25lbs

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

rustychain wrote:Heck, every time a cute girl walked past I'd drop my chain.

That makes two of us! :D

HammerTime wrote:That stands for neuro-electronic continuously variable transmission. You "think" what gear you'd like to be in (or how much you want to change), and an electronic gizmo changes the gearing over its continuous range. That range should be as large as possible.

Isn't the point of CVT that you don't actually change gear, you're in the correct 'gear' at every point?

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

You get in the correct gear by thinking it.

Are you perhaps thinking of an automatic gear selection based on some measurable criteria? I suppose you could have a manual mode and an automatic mode, and you could "think" change between them, and also "think" change the automatic criteria/parameters. But these are all details still to be worked out.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Have there been any recent developments with the think shifter?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madmole

by madmole

LOL, my Sram Red had already got this last sunday. After a heavy rain storm it was chainging gear by mind. trouble is it wasnt my mind!
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg