Lightweight clinchers - any experience with this wheel?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cappo455

by cappo455

Hi Guys,

Has anyone any experience with this wheel?

I want to know if they can be trued and serviced?

They seem to be a great clincher but at that sort of money (£3350 stg), i need to know i can get a good few years out of them with a bit of maintance etc.

If they can be serviced, how much would it cost?

Has been covered, please use search

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

the wheels are created true (within design limits) and should stay that way - carbon fibre should not stretch/creep etc., so unless there is physical damage or severe wear they stay true

service cost depends on what needs fixing, the manual says some minor repairs they may even do free once out of warranty, you'll pay for shipping still

aside from warranty there's an optional program called service up, it extends warranty and includes crash damage repair

it's all on the website...

http://lightweight.info/gb/en/service

btw, i would not buy in uk, get them from another eu country, as long as the dealer is official lightweight you are still fully covered and it's a *lot* cheaper, i just got some lw tub wheels from bike24.de, excellent service and saved a bundle

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

They are amazing! Ive been riding mine for a while with no problems at all! they never need to be trued. Also the brake track is very good. Buy them you will not be sorry!
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

How's the brake track in the wet?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

I have not ridden them in the rain I couldnt say
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

I've used them daily this year and for the summer we've had in the UK they've been wet plenty.

(using Lightweight pads) braking is fine, no scary moments really even on some pretty steep 20% gradient descents even when wet. I Haven't tried other pads yet.

Obviously they are not as good as alu rims and no carbon rim ever will be but they will stop you. You'll learn to live with them and braking in the wet will become a predictable experience the more you do it.

I normally swap out the front for a Dura-ace C24 (this might change to a Ventoux clincher if CS ever make one :wink: ) if winds > 15mph are in the weather forecasts, as gusty cross winds are a bit (lot) more "thrilling" than wet braking. But the back stays in there full time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

WeightySteve wrote:this might change to a Ventoux clincher if CS ever make one :wink:
Not much hope of that. But perhaps a GIPFELSTURM* clincher could be in the offing.

* new name for what used to be Ventoux