HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:07 am 

Hi guys

Have any of you seen these IRL...? Or do they not hit the market until ultimo september?

In order to shave a little more weight of my Canyon Aeroad, I am looking into swopping the Ultegra brakes for something lighter. I had the Planet X Ultra Light CNC on my previous tri-bike - and they felt great. Light and good stopping power... no hassle with fitment... and relatively cheap.

Since my new bike is kind of a "stealth" project, I am going for black in black. And this is my problem. The black brakes are fitted with a red quick release... and the gunmetal seems to have a black quick release. Why not the other way around? :)

If anyone has seen the gunmetal brakes, they might be able to give an idea of how dark they are in colour? Would they fit with the all black bike? Or should I go with black brakes, and have to live with the red QR's?

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:07 am 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:32 am 

I have the gunmetal CNC brakes. They're actually quite a bit lighter than I would have hoped for. In short, on an all black bike the gun metal brakes will stick out like sore thumb.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:45 am 

Why not phone planet X and ask thgem if they will do you all black ones. They are normally quite helpfull

Where are you based?, I have red ones with black fittings. If your not a million miles I have no problems swapping my black ones for red, assuming the arm is removable (At work at present so cant go look)

S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:55 am 

madmole wrote:
Why not phone planet X and ask thgem if they will do you all black ones. They are normally quite helpfull

Where are you based?, I have red ones with black fittings. If your not a million miles I have no problems swapping my black ones for red, assuming the arm is removable (At work at present so cant go look)

S

Excellent idea...

I am based in Denmark (Europe), and it would be great with a swop. I don't know either if it is removable; never had any reason to try to take it apart on my tri-bike.

Anyway... I will give Planet X a write... and then we will see.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:55 am 

Porschenut wrote:
I have the gunmetal CNC brakes. They're actually quite a bit lighter than I would have hoped for. In short, on an all black bike the gun metal brakes will stick out like sore thumb.

Thanks for the info - that rules out the gunmetal.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:16 am 

Another thing that strikes me, when I read the info about the brakes on Planet X's website:

Unique Patented Dual Pivot POWER CAM Mechanism - Offers excellent stopping power and brake modulation.

Is the new 7220 brake design dual pivot? Or is that a typo?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:27 pm 

They are dual pivot and have always been. One pivot is the mount bolt and the other is the wheel on the end of the cam arm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:33 pm 

I just got these a few days ago. I chose the gunmetal over black and they are really great looking. Black probably would have been stealthier, but the gunmetal looks awesome. I'd say the color is similar to the force gun metal color. I can take a picture tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:41 pm 

I had them on my guru which is black nude carbon. There are pics in the introduce your self section ,title is
artrays guru and wildlife .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:50 pm 

madmole wrote:

S

1. They won't. Planet-X is NOT the producer of these brakes. They are found under many brand names, hence "open-mould" type brakes. Planet-X simply happens to be the most popular seller and they've been associated with the brakes. If you call them up and inquire about details you'll get silence on the other end, they really have no idea about the details of the brakes.

2. Because they do NOT produce the brakes, they also have no control about what colour combos are available. They simply order from their mfg's choices and that's that. You get the savings. Congratulations.

3. I tried removing the arm recently on an ano project, it is quite difficult and I was unable to. If you do manage, please document how you did it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:09 pm 

prendrefeu wrote:
1. They won't. Planet-X is NOT the producer of these brakes. They are found under many brand names, hence "open-mould" type brakes. Planet-X simply happens to be the most popular seller and they've been associated with the brakes. If you call them up and inquire about details you'll get silence on the other end, they really have no idea about the details of the brakes.

2. Because they do NOT produce the brakes, they also have no control about what colour combos are available. They simply order from their mfg's choices and that's that. You get the savings. Congratulations.

3. I tried removing the arm recently on an ano project, it is quite difficult and I was unable to. If you do manage, please document how you did it.

I recall you discovered the center bolt and others not being Ti. Did you go through the trouble of replacing them? If so, what were the weight savings?

1999 Cannondale Caad1
            ???? Concorde SS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:24 pm 

Turns out the Centerbolt is Ti, but there is a washer in steel in there somewhere that my magnet was picking up. There were similar steel bits and pieces elsewhere, but they weren't enough to warrant replacement (cost vs. grams saved)... So I didn't take apart the brake on that. They seem to be washers in steel, and they are thin, so the weight savings would be minimal even if they were swapped with alloy.

I did later attempt to take off the cam arm (where the cable is held via the small nut) because I wanted it to match an anodizing run I was doing, but found that removal isn't easy and without a bit of force that would risk damaging the rest of the brake, so I decided not to. The color of red on mine isn't toooo far off the other colour that I anodized, but it's still enough to irk off my OCD designer self everytime I glance down at it. :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:28 am 

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments:
uploadfromtaptalk1346207276568.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1346207276568.jpg [ 147.55 KiB | Viewed 2039 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:30 am 

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:55 am 

Hmmm... okay.

Thanks for the pics "roca rule". They look good - but will definitely not match the rest of my bike. So I will have to go with the black (and red) or maybe choose a totally different brand. That's how OCD I am... :)

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:55 am 

Go to page 1, 2  Next