New race wheels for 2013 - what?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

relanium

by relanium

Doing some racing next year and looking for some wheels, can anyone give me any insight to which wheels would be best from my choice or any good recommendations.

Here is what wheels I've been thinking about:-
Dura Ace 7900 50mm Clincher.
Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR.
Bontrager Aeolus 5 D3 Clincher.

Cheers.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

What your criteria for best?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Guyeclipse

by Guyeclipse

As much as I love all Lightweight wheels, they are a little impractical. The rim shape is designed to get the most out of the carbon fibre so they are as light as possible at the expense of rim shape. They absolutely fly in straight on winds but even with a shallow rim, you will begin to feel a decent amount of pull. This next point, I'm not entirely sure on, so don't quote me on it, but I know for older lightweights, you would have to send them to Germany for truing and spoke replacement, and I'm sure that wont have changed for their wheels and would be the same if you have any issues with hubs or if you want a simple hub service. I think the best option here is the Campag Boras because I think the Campag hub compatibility is a complete non-issue, they are a pretty sturdy rim and have ceramic bearings which is fantastic because they make a huge difference. Also, to me this is a positive, but the hub noise is very quiet which I liken to a sign of quality. Happy shopping.

sawyer

by sawyer

On a VFM basis what about a set of F6Rs?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

paulandmonster

by paulandmonster

id go bora they are tanks plus they look so nice. i have easton ec90s for the price i got them for im happy but next wheels are boras id never ride zips to many pro friends have bad stories

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

relanium wrote:Doing some racing next year and looking for some wheels, can anyone give me any insight to which wheels would be best from my choice or any good recommendations.

Here is what wheels I've been thinking about:-
Dura Ace 7900 50mm Clincher.
Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR.
Bontrager Aeolus 5 D3 Clincher.

Cheers.

What type of terrain are you usually riding? How much do you weigh? What do you hope to get out of a new set of wheels?