HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Wheels for Flanders
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:12 am 

It's funny how often you hear about the difference between the cobbles at Flanders and Roubaix. Everyone who's ridden both always mentions it. I've never ridden either, so I really have no idea. What I think the real difference is (just an uneducated idea here) is that the cobbles of flanders are maintained because they're daily public roads. Most of the Roubaix cobbles belong to the race and are therefore protected. Thus, not maintained for daily car use. The roubaix cobbles are intentionally nasty!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:22 am 

Yeah only ever seen the Roubaix pave on Eurosport and that's the way I intend to keep it! For the most part the cobbles in Flanders are reasonably user friendly, perhaps for the reasons you suggest. Certainly I been over to Belgium quite a few times now and keep going back for more!! There is one section that springs to mind which is considerably rougher, perhaps approaching Roubaix proportions. The Holloweg runs for about 2kms between the N8 and Volkegem near Mater - if anybody ever suggests you go for a gentle spin there, hit them with a pump and run like hell.....!

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:22 am 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:48 pm 

Yeah, the Roubaix cobbles are very different.

On a tangent for the people who did the sportive, was it overly crowded? thinking about it for next year as well.

S: as for wheels, Nemesis and Veloflex roubaix. Pittstop and one spare tubular.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:58 pm 

It can get VERY crowded on the climbs. Reportedly 19000 rode it this year and it's pretty much the same every year. So there's lots of dodging slower riders and the odd fallen body, all whilst the faster riders are trying to dodge you. Well, me for sure. And then in the rain.....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:13 pm 

As mentioned the climbs are really the trouble. The Kwaremont especially, as well as the Patterberg, really bottleneck and because they are so steep people will just come to a stop in front of you and fall over or put their foot down. It is then damn near impossible to get going again. You also have people walking up the climb, not looking crossing in front of you etc. Other than those 2 spots though it is pretty amazing how they get that many people on the road with so few problems especially considering the wide range in experience and quality of riders.
I went out the day before the sportif and did almost 4 hours with a group and got to ride the Kwaremont and Paterberg (as well as the Mur which isn't in the sportif) and was glad I did because I had to walk a good chunck of the Kwaremont because of the traffic. It is definitely worth a side trip to ride the Mur, it just gives you chills. Going out the day before you get to see a lot of the pro teams as well, we rode with Sky for quite a while.
Getting to ride the Roubaix velodrome is fantastic as well but by the time I got there my hands were so crippled I could barely hold the bar. It has taken 4 months for my hands to feel almost normal after one day on the Roubaix cobbles.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:20 pm 

I managed to climb all of the bergs included in the sportive during the sportive. I think it came down to yelling a lot and being a former elite mtber im quite good at determining routes on a packed climb.
I will also say that the PR cobbles are much wore, my first experience with them was on a 170 km ride which included the last 100k of the professionals Roubaix. As if this wasn't bad enough it was pouring down the entire time....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:08 pm 

I have to agree with Kastrup, You just need to shout a lot.
Its well worth it. Ive rode over most of the big mountains the tours follow and have been racing for 25 years and have to say the flanders sportive is up there with the best.

I'm quite a small and not that powerfull rider but i did use my Garmin and powertap hub. In comparison on the flat I was pushing out about 250W at about 23-25mph. There was a long flat cobbled section of well maintained cobbles in Flanders. My watts went up to 410-430 and I was struggling to keep 17-18 mph.
Sadistically I loved it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:13 pm 

Yep, shouting's imperative. As well English, I can swear fluently in Flemish.... can't speak another word of the language but then again you don't need to be able to order a three course meal riding up the Koppenberg!!

drchull, Kastrup and UKpaul can I ask you to gives us a quick heads up on the wheels you used in Flanders? Cheers

Post subject: Wheels for Flanders
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:27 pm 

Wheels:
32 hole Open Pro rim laced 3x with DT competition spokes to DA 7800 hubs.

Rubber:
25 mm Continental GP4000s with standard butyl tubes. Cant remember what kind of pressure i ran though. But plenty of people have posted abour this on various sites.

The wheels and tyres survived 14 days in Belgium including the earlier mentioned 170 km PR ride in pouring rain. With no punctures...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:00 pm 

HED Belgiums 32 hole on CK hubs front and back
Michelin Krylion Carbon's 25C at 80-85 psi.
Forgot the other question, the rest was my usual setup. 2.5mm lizardskins DSP, carbon bar, antares 00 saddle.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:07 am 

Mavic Kysrium SL's with Vittoria Pave clinchers at about 80-85 PSI.

Go to page Previous  1, 2