HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Zipp Vukasprint install
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 11:19 pm
Posts: 11
Decided to loose some weight from the front end by swapping the alloy bars for Zipps carbon Vukasprint.

Image

Current set up with 3T comfortable but heavy.

Image

Image

Old bar tape and Fizik gel pads are suprisingly heavy!

Image

New bars, size 44 not that much lighter really 50 grams saving.

Image

Quite a saving here though!

Image

Different shapes of the two bars, slightly more reach on the Zipps.

Image

Bars replaced and cables routed through the bars.

Image

Wrapped and ready to ride.

Image

Aero front end.

Image

Zipps look fantastic and feel ultra stiff and comfortable, weight lost 153 grams! Easy to install, used the same outers but replaced the cables. Bar tape is Zipp Service Corsa, i like white but not sure if black would look better. Will also fit a Zipp Service Corsa SL stem at some point. The Campagnolo Zondas will have to go, some serious weight saving to be had there i think! Proper test ride report soon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Zipp Vukasprint install
Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:55 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:28 pm
Posts: 62
Hi what size were your ergonova bars? thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 2:11 pm
Posts: 1200
Location: Bergen, Norway
What do you think of the handlebar now tried it compared to Ergonova?

_________________
/jonas l
http://cerrol.wordpress.com (my cyclingblog)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 11:19 pm
Posts: 11
Ergonova bars are size 44, they are measured centre to centre at the bar ends but taper in towards the hoods so are more like a 42! The Zipps are measured edge to edge so i got a size 44, haven't had chance to ride with the Zipps yet, will post a review soon!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:45 am
Posts: 100
Some of the best looking bars (Zipp) in my opinion (especially from the front!)

_________________
My drawings:
http://www.facebook.com/andrewlivingstonart
My bike:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=107451


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:07 pm
Posts: 628
It is ok to choose a carbon bar for weight savings. The weight comparision should have been done beween the Vukasprint and Ergonova Ltd.
The 44 cm Ergonova Ltd weighs 204grams.

_________________
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 11:19 pm
Posts: 11
Well test rode these today, very very happy with them! First thing I noticed was the reduction in road buzz through the bars, felt much smoother than the alloy Ergonova Pro. All positions are very comfortable even on the tops without bar tape, gloves definatley help here though, I can imagine the bare carbon would be quite slippery without them. My ride involved a few miles into a 30mph gusty head wind, the bike felt great slicing through the wind. I'm not saying the Zipps make a massive difference, it just felt a tad easier! Out of the saddle climbing efforts also felt good with no flex whatsoever. There is approx 7mm more reach with these compared to the Ergonova, I did feel a bit stretched so may go to a 100mm stem from a 110mm, however being slightly more streched helps to flatten my back so I'm not sure!
In conclusion these are well worth the money in my opinion, they perform exceptionally well and look fantastic!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 7:11 pm
Posts: 296
Location: FL
bura wrote:
It is ok to choose a carbon bar for weight savings. The weight comparision should have been done beween the Vukasprint and Ergonova Ltd.
The 44 cm Ergonova Ltd weighs 204grams.


Why would he compare the Ltd as he owns the pro and bought a Vukka Sprint.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:07 pm
Posts: 628
NWSAlpine wrote:
bura wrote:
It is ok to choose a carbon bar for weight savings. The weight comparision should have been done beween the Vukasprint and Ergonova Ltd.
The 44 cm Ergonova Ltd weighs 204grams.


Why would he compare the Ltd as he owns the pro and bought a Vukka Sprint.


Once more:Because the PRO is a alloy bar. So why compare the weight of a alloy bar with a CF one?
Isn't is predictable that you will save weight with a CF bar?
What is the point?
If it is to show that Zipp is lighter than 3T, wrong bar has been choosen for the comparision.
The Ltd is 3T's lightest CF series.

Further why compare the weight of full handlebar tape with half handlebar tape?

_________________
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:58 am
Posts: 200
Location: Chicago
He's comparing because that's what he owns. What don't you get about that?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 11:19 pm
Posts: 11
bura wrote:
NWSAlpine wrote:
bura wrote:
It is ok to choose a carbon bar for weight savings. The weight comparision should have been done beween the Vukasprint and Ergonova Ltd.
The 44 cm Ergonova Ltd weighs 204grams.


Why would he compare the Ltd as he owns the pro and bought a Vukka Sprint.


Once more:Because the PRO is a alloy bar. So why compare the weight of a alloy bar with a CF one?
Isn't is predictable that you will save weight with a CF bar?
What is the point?
If it is to show that Zipp is lighter than 3T, wrong bar has been choosen for the comparision.
The Ltd is 3T's lightest CF series.

Further why compare the weight of full handlebar tape with half handlebar tape?

The only reason i've shown the weight of the removed bars and tape is because I wanted to see how much I saved by replacing them. Obviously the carbon bars and new tape would be lighter, I just thought as this site is called Weight Weenies someone might be interested !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 7:11 pm
Posts: 296
Location: FL
bura wrote:
NWSAlpine wrote:
bura wrote:
It is ok to choose a carbon bar for weight savings. The weight comparision should have been done beween the Vukasprint and Ergonova Ltd.
The 44 cm Ergonova Ltd weighs 204grams.


Why would he compare the Ltd as he owns the pro and bought a Vukka Sprint.


Once more:Because the PRO is a alloy bar. So why compare the weight of a alloy bar with a CF one?
Isn't is predictable that you will save weight with a CF bar?
What is the point?
If it is to show that Zipp is lighter than 3T, wrong bar has been choosen for the comparision.
The Ltd is 3T's lightest CF series.

Further why compare the weight of full handlebar tape with half handlebar tape?



Once again it's a simple comparison of what he had vs what he has now. Doesn't make sense to compare bars he doesn't own or doesn't plan to own.

If you used your logic then he should be compairing the weight of the Ltd to the Zipp Sl bar which is 170g. At the end of the day you are doing a comparison that makes no sense for this thread's intentions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 7:11 pm
Posts: 296
Location: FL
Back on topic. The bars look sick! I wanted to give them a shot but at the end of the day I went with the SC CSL because I much prefer the short reach and compact bars. Vuka Sprint short reach compact and I'm all over it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:56 pm
Posts: 492
Location: Canada
jezza995 wrote:
Well test rode these today, very very happy with them! First thing I noticed was the reduction in road buzz through the bars, felt much smoother than the alloy Ergonova Pro. All positions are very comfortable even on the tops without bar tape, gloves definatley help here though, I can imagine the bare carbon would be quite slippery without them. My ride involved a few miles into a 30mph gusty head wind, the bike felt great slicing through the wind. I'm not saying the Zipps make a massive difference, it just felt a tad easier! Out of the saddle climbing efforts also felt good with no flex whatsoever. There is approx 7mm more reach with these compared to the Ergonova, I did feel a bit stretched so may go to a 100mm stem from a 110mm, however being slightly more streched helps to flatten my back so I'm not sure!
In conclusion these are well worth the money in my opinion, they perform exceptionally well and look fantastic!


Perhaps someone could explain the supposed aero advantage of these bars, given your body is directly behind them and blocks the wind anyhow.


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:41 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 11:19 pm
Posts: 11
goodboyr wrote:
jezza995 wrote:
Well test rode these today, very very happy with them! First thing I noticed was the reduction in road buzz through the bars, felt much smoother than the alloy Ergonova Pro. All positions are very comfortable even on the tops without bar tape, gloves definatley help here though, I can imagine the bare carbon would be quite slippery without them. My ride involved a few miles into a 30mph gusty head wind, the bike felt great slicing through the wind. I'm not saying the Zipps make a massive difference, it just felt a tad easier! Out of the saddle climbing efforts also felt good with no flex whatsoever. There is approx 7mm more reach with these compared to the Ergonova, I did feel a bit stretched so may go to a 100mm stem from a 110mm, however being slightly more streched helps to flatten my back so I'm not sure!
In conclusion these are well worth the money in my opinion, they perform exceptionally well and look fantastic!


Perhaps someone could explain the supposed aero advantage of these bars, given your body is directly behind them and blocks the wind anyhow.

A massive amount of a riders energy is spent pushing through the air something like 80% according to Chris Bordman, so any surface pushing less air will have some benifit !


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: afalts, bombertodd, farva, rijndael and 41 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. At home Di2 install....

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

chiltonp

26

1330

Wed May 07, 2014 1:47 pm

toiyuet View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. (im)Possible to install a Campy SRM on a 386 Evo BB ?

in Road

vlastrada

2

447

Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:46 am

vlastrada View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Campy EPS V2 Install on Cervelo S2

in Road

elstinnett

9

670

Sat May 31, 2014 2:16 pm

dayne View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. caad10 bb30 quarq install help

in Road

mbohara

4

324

Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:07 am

btompkins0112 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Specialized carbon road crank impossible to install?!

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

audiojan

16

1798

Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:00 pm

audiojan View the latest post


It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB