Q Rings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KDub

by KDub

I've seen the study on oval rings in which the Q Rings had the best results and I know a few riders on CTT use them, but I was looking for opinions from people who aren't paid to endorse them. Have any of you ridden them and if so, what were your complaints or praises?

Road Runner

by Road Runner

They are perfect for climbing. I have a 53, 40 combo. My setup is 53 ring in #3 OCP position, and the 40 in the #2.

I like the idea of oval chainrings, that I want to try the more radical O.symetric Harmonic chainrings, but I don't know where I can get them here in the U.S.
Attachments
My Qrings.jpg
I want to try this chainrings used by Wiggins:
I want to try this chainrings used by Wiggins:
I prefer to ride a $3,000 bicycle instead of a $3,000 car!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I've been thinking about trying one on the inner ring, just because it makes sense to me that the 'climbing ring' is best suited to the application. I don't really see the benefit on the big ring though - not as a 'casual' rider anyway (as in, it might make more sense to a racer).

How many different positions are there for them?
How different do the different positions feel?
What happens if you choose the wrong position initially - would it feel horrendous?
Road Runner - how did you come to know that position 2 on one ring and position 3 on the other were 'right'?

Intrigued to know more, and sorry for the slight hijack KDub! :roll: :lol:

Road Runner

by Road Runner

I have the 53t ring in the 3rd position because most of the time when I am on the big ring, I am seated on the nose of the saddle or sprinting. (my body is forward, so the optimum crank position is changed)
And I have the 40t inner ring in the 2 position, because that setup is best when I am climbing seated on the back of the saddle. And it also feels good at high cadence.
Attachments
In the power phase, the 53t chainring increases to 56t.
In the power phase, the 53t chainring increases to 56t.
Power phase.gif (1.36 KiB) Viewed 4490 times
In the Dead phase, the 53t chainring decreases to 51t
In the Dead phase, the 53t chainring decreases to 51t
Dead point.gif (1.19 KiB) Viewed 4490 times

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Didn't Shimano try this in about 1980 and quit when everyone got tendinitis?
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

WideAMG

by WideAMG

i remember that, it was the shiimano Biopace, 1983-1993

it was abandoned because of the complexity with working properly with front derailleurs.
riding Pinarellos with Super Record since 84
2009 SR Pino
QC is a management function, NOT country of origin

Geoff

by Geoff

The Q-Rings are materially different than the Shimano BioPace debacle. With the Q-Rings, the 'greatest' tooth-equivalent is transitioned from the top of the dead spot in BioPace to the areas of highest leverage. Aside from pure leverage, the elliptical design of the Q-Rings also allows for tuning of the acceleration of the joint through the 'dead spot'.

The design of the Q-Ring allows you to 'tune' this area of highest leverage and the acceleration factor to suit your personal style, hence Road Runner's comment that he runs the big ring in position "3" and the small ring in position "2".

I was very sceptical about the rings, but I got a stupid deal on them fairly late in the Season and thought I would try them out for a lark. I ran them on a Professional SRM. I immediately liked the 'feel' of them in position "3". By the end of the Season, I had quite a decent history on them on an interval course that I use that I have many years of data on. While Rotor claims 5% increase in power, I would say it is more like 3% or 4%.

I always tell people that my information is based upon a very specific set of criteria and a limited sample of the entire spectrum of power production. I believed my own results enought to get three more sets. My only problem is that my MTB SRM is an older version and I have to run a 2x10 set with a round 'granny'.

I still run in position "3" on all my rings. I 'feel' best with that configuration. With respect to shifting, I run SRM cranks, so the chainring spacing is Shimano. There is no problem with shifting for any of Campagnolo 10 or 11 or for Shimano 7800 or 7900.

Road Runner

by Road Runner

Someone tryed the O.symetric Harmonic chainrings?
Compared to the Rotor Qrings, they are not adjustable, they have different shape, and the oval effect is bigger:
-Q rings: 11% ovality
-O.symetric: 21% ovality
Attachments
Wiggins Chainring.jpg

KDub

by KDub

Does Wiggins actually still run those? I couldn't find them for sale online anywhere. Also, the one study I saw found that the Osymetric had a greater force effect on the hamstring power transfer, but the highest negative effect on the quad transfer power. It also showed the Q rings as being the most balanced in that it had positive effects on both. I'm interested to see if the big ring would also make that much of a difference since I do almost all of my climbing in my 39.

Road Runner

by Road Runner

KDub wrote:Does Wiggins actually still run those? .

Yep!
I believe that the 39t Qring is equivalent to 41 in the power phase, and 38 in the dead zone.
Attachments
2009 TdF Last Stage.jpg

rustychain

by rustychain

Ran Qrings for over a year and loved them but..... Shifting was never good. I even had several respected mechanics try with no better results. I was running Campag 10 record at the time and I am tempted to try them with SR
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

Keule

by Keule

I have q-rings for nearly a year now and really love the big ring! The small ring is ok when climbing but not as great on the flats.
They seem pretty annoying when cruising along, but when you really hammer it on the big ring, they are awesome!

bcheung

by bcheung

I had Q-Rings on for a couple seasons, and have now gone back to regular round rings.

Haven't really noticed much, if any, of a difference.

Road Runner

by Road Runner

bcheung wrote:I had Q-Rings on for a couple seasons, and have now gone back to regular round rings.

Haven't really noticed much, if any, of a difference.

The first time I rode with the Q-rings, I also didn't notice any difference, so one month later I went back to round rings, and then was when I feel a difference.
I noticed that with the round rings, the dead spot was magnified and harder to mantain a smooth pedaling.
When you install the Q-rings, maybe you are not going to feel any difference because the oval factor is only of 11%.
With only 11% of ovality, you don't feel any sudden acceleration in each pedal stroke. So they only make you pedal more naturaly with less strain on the kness.
There is a theory that if you eliminate the dead spot, you eliminate the resting point because you will be pedaling only in the power phase.
If you want to feel a difference, get this rings:
Attachments
durham.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SFcyclist

by SFcyclist

Here in Northern California there is a lot of fairly steep climbing. Consequently, I just changed my inner ring to a 39 Qring since that is where I thought I would get the most benefit. I kept the standard round 53 outer ring on. I can't say I suddenly became Andy Schleck on the climbs :cry: , but the Qring does appear to smooth my stroke out a little and it certainly has not hurt my climbing. I recommend this setup because 1) it is cheaper to replace only one ring 2) Shifting is not affected because the outer ring can still be kept very close to the der. cage 3) I do mostly climbing.

FYI, the Qring effect is quite subtle and I don't notice any negative effects on my pedaling when shifting between my round outer and inner Qring.