HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:43 pm 

Hi,

which wheelset would You prefer for everyday use (no races)?

"Everyday" means that this will be my only wheelset for my racebike.
I use my city bike for tougher conditions/rides through urban areas.

1. wheelset:
Frontwheel: DT 240s, 28 spokes radial (DT Revolution), DT RR415 (single eyelets)
Rearwheel: DT 240s, 32 spokes 3 x crossed (driveside: DT Competition/non-driveside: DT Revolution), DT RR465 (double eyelets)

2. wheelset:
Hope Pro 3 RS-Mono: http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemi ... cification

The Hope wheelset is a little bit cheaper, but not much.

Will the DT-wheelset be a little bit more aero at high speeds?

Greets
Chris

Last edited by Chris* on Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:05 pm 

get the hopes.

dt rims are quite soft, and 28h radial revolutions aren't really an 'everyday' wheel. For everyday (ie training, commuting, whatever), you want comp spokes. The hope wheels come with a mavic rim, and 3x lacing - much stronger.

DT hubs are nicer, but hopes are very good too.

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:05 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:15 pm 

That might be the least useful spec sheet I've ever seen - we know what the hubs are (and if we didn't we're on the right site to find out), but how about telling us which spokes are used; confirming the rims (tough to see in pic) and the lacing pattern.

Am I missing that info - is it somewhere else on that page?

Based on the image & weights, I'm guessing this is just a 3x DT Comp/Open Pro build... but again, it would be nice to have that confirmed. If that's the case, then I'd definitely pic this over the DT radial build as an every day set.

I built a similar set to the Hopes last year and have been very pleased with them - bombproof might just apply.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:47 pm 

The rims and spokes are mentioned here:
http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemi ... escription

The Hope wheels are 3 x crossed front and rear.

Greets!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:08 pm 

Unfortunately the hopes are not for Campy 11-speed.
I've got Campy 10-speed now but perhaps I want to upgrade sometime.

Greets!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:45 pm 

Chris* wrote:
Unfortunately the hopes are not for Campy 11-speed.
I've got Campy 10-speed now but perhaps I want to upgrade sometime.

Greets!

Any Campy 9/10 speed freeehub will fit an 11-speed cassette...EM3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:53 pm 

em3 wrote:
Any Campy 9/10 speed freehub will fit an 11-speed cassette...EM3

That may be the case with Campy / Fulcrum, but not with all wheel manufacturers.... For example Reynolds sells a conversion kit to convert Campy 9/10 wheelsets to 11-speed compatible.

Why not get DT 240s hubs with Open Pros, 28h 2x front, 32h 3x rear, Revolutions except Comps driveside rear? I ordered that kind of set for my Kuota fom bikestore.cc and I've been very happy. Weight with alu nipples 1560g. Should have ordered OP Ceramics for extra bling factor though....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:07 pm 

I can confirm that pro3 doesn't work for campag in 11v. It doesn't work for some frames in 10v either. The spacing / cassette carrier body has not been designed / spaced to suit.

Given the obviousness of this problem & the fact its not been rectified by hope, it kinda tells you something about how much they care about the road market imo.

The 240s rear hub is not the most ideal as its spacing is not optimum for campag either. I've always found it a little soft in the rear compared with a record hub based build.

The design and bearing quality of the 240s is very good though, so if your not too heavy (> 70kg?) or honking out the saddle all the time you might not notice it. I do like the fact you can change between the carrier splines on 240s as well, which is a nice feature if carrying the hubs as spares with other riders. I do keep being tempted by the 370s version as frightening as the weight is, as it would be a very solid but economic bit of training kit.

For a nice price build with reasonable weight, consider record hubs from ribble (£160ish) + open pros (£90ish). I don't personally think the ceramic version is worth the extra really, unless you prefer a nice clean look. Its £100 extra on the rims and will either have flaws (the famous manufacturing defects) or get a dink in (life being as it is :? ).

Open sport is not that much of weight penalty @ 50g for a much better price and it begins to allow you to think of the rims as properly disposable, even though they are as solid (more solid perhaps) than the std open pro rim. IMO its got a nice no nonsense look about it. The brake surface is really good.

I run a lot of different wheels and honestly prefer the speed of the traditional bearings in campag wheels over anything else. Training wheels and weights as long as they are around > 1600g should make things all pretty similar. You certainly won't notice the difference between a 20mm rim and a 30mm rim imo. A decent set of tires will make a much more noticeable difference.

Training wheels should be solid, reliable & leave plenty of space in your budget if done right for buying better kit or race wheels for when it all counts.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:15 pm 

I didn't know that the Hopes don't work in some frames with 10v. Thanks for the information.

The DT 240s has a flange distance of 50.2 mm (33.2 mm left/17.0 mm right) and pitch circle diameters of 45.0 mm left and 45.0 mm right.
The record has a flange distance of 50.36 mm (35.16 mm left/15.2 mm right) and pitch circle diameters of 44 mm left and 46 mm right.

So the flange distances and pitch circle diameters don't differ a lot.

So is the DT 240s itself softer?

I've ridden Campy Protons, Campy Daytona and 2006 Centaur hubs (all with ball bearings) and had never a problem.
The record hubs are a nice option, too.

Greets!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:54 pm 

Chris* wrote:
So the flange distances and pitch circle diameters don't differ a lot.

differs enough to be noticeable ... its quite visible when built up as well.

there is a load of detail on hubs generally on the fwb hub review btw. worth a read if your in the market.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:59 pm 

mr_tim wrote:
differs enough to be noticeable ... its quite visible when built up as well.

there is a load of detail on hubs generally on the fwb hub review btw. worth a read if your in the market.

Yes, the 240s has a smaller left flange distance. But the record has a smaller right flange distance.

So the stiffness of these two hubs should be comparable!?

I know the fwb hub review, excellent! It's a pity that Chris King doesn't produce a Campy version of their hubs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:16 pm 

I've got a few record hubs built up and two 240s builds. The 240s are softer as they build up with less of a brace angle on the DS. If you can see the 240s hub built up in a shop you will see it pretty clearly. The whole thing is just narrow compared to most other hubs.

You will see if you search on 240s threads that some guys think they are absolutely perfect, but equally some ppl are just the wrong type of rider to suit what is otherwise an incredibly well built out hub.

As I said before, you might not notice it, depending on weight and riding style. I notice it sometimes, so flag it when considering hub choices.

The record hub has ultimately a shelf life to it as the free hub bearings will eventually wear out and they are a pig to get out. Again there are threads which explain how to get them out, but its a bit of a bodge job imo. So there are some negatives to it. But its a much cheaper hub vs the 240s at about 2.5x less when bought competitively.

As a training hub its also worth noting that the 240s can be fully re-built yes, but the replacement bearings + shop time to do this (as it requires specific tools to get the bearings out) is nigh on the same as the full replacement cost of a record hub complete at @ £ 100. So there are certain economies to be considered when buying into these different hubs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:18 pm 

I know the narrow build of the 240s. But the record has even less flange offset at the DS.
By the way, I never had problems with Campy hubs in terms of stability. So I think the 240s would be strong enough for me.

You can buy the 240s wheelset (configuration above) for 399,- EUR in Germany. I think this is a very good price.

I don't know if a record wheelset (with DT 415/465 or Mavic Open Pro rims) would be cheaper.

Thanks for Your advice!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:39 pm 

After 19 months and several other wheelsets the old question is still alive. :D

I think I'll try the Hope Pro 3 hubs with Sapim Race Spokes (32 Spokes, 3x crossed, brass nipples).

Which rim is more durable and stiffer: Mavic Open Pro or DT Swiss RR 465?

Greets!

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:39 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:23 pm 

Get some Campag Zondas. I use them as everyday wheels. They're lighter and more aero than the options you've given.
The hubs use cup and cone bearings and are similar quality to record hubs. Price wise they seem to be similar to the Hopes
you listed. They can be bought in the UK for around £280.

Go to page 1, 2  Next