how does 1 deal with general paint & other wear on the bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RAFIUDEEN

by RAFIUDEEN

Hi
I just bough a cervelo r 5 have gone out with it trice twice is started raining while riding after i came back i did wash the bike throughtly...i did find some dig on the paint at the chain slay also saw some pinch on the bottom of the top tube where and the green sticker chip on the side of the top tube ...must have happened while riding hugely upset at the scars would like to know any tips to keep in mind while riding or other wise ..i am from India and the roads r not all that smooth u do get cobbles and uprooted stones and uneven roads with sudden dip in road levels which does strain the bike ..would like expert advice as to what i should not brother and what i should take care of?
Thanks

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Motorcycle polish is good. Or just don't worry, if you ride it the paint will suffer. It's a good excuse to replace it later on :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

It's a bike, not an antique.

Was made to be ridden, get chips, etc

Don't get me wrong, I like to look after my stuff. But wear is all part of the joy of owning a bicycle.

(and does give a nice excuse for upgrades, etc)

topflightpro

by topflightpro

If you really are OCD about it, nail polish is generally pretty good for covering nicks. It comes in just about every color imaginable.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

You can purchase 3M protective clear tape from many auto detailers.

They very frequently have left over pieces that are large enough for bike use that they will just give you...

In the case you already have marks, you can tape them off and use an auto clear coat on that spot and if you're especially detailed you can wet sand and polish the repair to match the frame and virtually disappear.

You can also tape off the heavy wear sections of your bike and have an auto painter put an additional clear coat layer on your bike.

RAFIUDEEN

by RAFIUDEEN

thanks friends your input was most help full just got some chips minor ones not major i am not a ocd person but since i have rode the bike only twice i feel the pinch if i was ocd would not have ridden it in the rains :D

TheRedMantra

by TheRedMantra

Ask the company directly. They may send you some touch up paints and even give you techniques for applications. I have many beautiful bikes. A few Kleins, a new Ibis, some nice cruisers etc. My newest mtb cost me more than my last car. I know how it feels when they get damaged cosmetically but it is a part of life as some other posters have pointed out. Think of it as character that makes your bike different from every other R5 out there. The scars on my body remind me of good times and bad, but I'm glad I have them. Keep a smile on your face, wave to strangers, and be exhilarated by the wind, speed and dynamics of riding!

P.S. If you need protection kits take a look at Crankskins and Frameskins, but those will add some weight to your steed. Take it easy.

artray

by artray

Strip it down to the nude carbon and you won't have any issues . A bit of aero 303 to protect the frame and some babywipes to wash it . Makes life easy and your bike always looks good .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com