HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:38 am 

If you were offer to buy a brand new stock 2012 Reynolds Assaults 46 or a lightly used Edge 45 with Tune hubs (est yr 2011) for about about similar price ($900 new Assualts - $1200), what would you pick?

For me, I plan to use it as a recreation rides only. Not a racer but enjoy the new hobby. I've test rode the new 2012 ENve 45 before and really like the feel of the handling, holding its speed and stopping power. However, regular price of the new ENve is beyond my budget.

If both wheels are very similar, i would rather save the money. My goal is to take these wheels riding up and down the local hills and doing repeats. But my typical mileage is only 50-80mi ( so I'm very hard on my wheels or my weak bones 8)

Appreciate on sharing your experience on either one of those wheels.

Again, thanks ahead.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:13 am 
Shop Owner

If the Edge rims are really Edge and not Enve then I think they are potentially dangerous. My friend recently cooked his Edge 45 clincher rim on a descent - the often discussed subject of hard braking and melting the brake track on carbon clinchers. Fortunately the tire did not came off (no crash) but the rim is history - he might get it repaired/replaced under warranty (have not talked ton him about the details) but I'd be partially hesitant to buy such rims. As a non original owner you also might not be eligible for warranty claims (not sure here). New Enves (not sure since what year) are reportedly addressing the above issue and are darn fine wheels. Assault 46 is perfectly OK in my opinion for someone that dos not need the lightest/finest/coolest/expensive/.... Few of my friend recently bough brand new sets on ebay for ~ $820 but I doubt they are eligible for warranty due to questionable reseller authorizations with Reynolds.
On the other hand I train on 2010 Reynolds DV46UL-C (which might be experiencing the same melting issue) and am super satisfied with them - I try not to brake tho :evil:
If the Assults were at $900 with the warranty I would get them (but would do something with these ugly new decals); if they carried no warranty I would consider Edge 45 (I have no clue about Tune hubs) and would not overuse brakes.

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:13 am 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:39 pm 

Thanks Martin for your great inputs.

[update] I believed the used Edge is 2010.

Hope to hear more inputs from WW fellows. But do appreciate all those who posted and reading it.
Cheers.