C4 bike component hubs review and experience

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mcnbikes

by mcnbikes

WW
I an Australian based wheel and frame builder. I had the misfortune of delaing with Mark (who runs a company using only their first name?). I order in excess of $1500 worth of hubs, spokes and nipples.
My experience was equally disatisfying to many of the other mentioned. I was waiting on CX-rays to build up a set of AX-Lightness 29er tubulars to Extralite hubs, my customer had paid for them and was after the wheels for the nationals. I ordered the spokes allowing 4 weeks to be sure. I sent many, many e-mails. I even telephoned him, yes from Australia to the US. The race came and went no spokes and no joy for my unhappy customer. In the end I was rescued by another US based supplier and have been ordering spokes from him ever since.
Like many of these scenarios it doesn't stop here there were also a set of 'custom' green anodised road hubs paid for and ordered, they never showed and I've never received a refund for the money I lost US$388.00 don't let it happen to you stay away from C4 you may not get ripped off right away but soon enough you'll get taken for a very unpleasant expensive ride
Cheers
Tim McNaughton

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

Five minutes with Google will tell you plenty about Mark Hoskin. Keep your money in your pocket.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

go4custom

by go4custom

I'm soooo tempted to say I've had "pretty" good luck with my hubs and Mark. He has ALWAYS answered his phone, but but but...has rarely followed up with what was said and left with in the conversation.

Now, I can't figure out what to with my hubs. I have put bearings in the front twice, serviced the freehub twice and have Phil wood bearings awaiting the rear. So, do I keep riding them knowing how to fix them every 700-1000 miles? Pull the wheels apart, sell the hubs, but is anyone really gonna buy them? ($20 bucks maybe)

wally318

by wally318

I wasn't going to ever bring this up, but ... since people are on this subject.

I thought I'd let you all know what type of person you're dealing with here.

When I posted my 7 lb bike in Sept. 09, some time afterward curiosity led me to look at the

C4 site and to my surprise saw an exact copy of my front hub for sale with a weight

within 1 gram of my hub. It said available in August. And I thought how is this possible

someone making/selling a hub exactly like mine? I didn't copy anyone's design to come up

with my end product(not for sale)A month before I debuted my bike. But then I remembered

that the wheels were finished in April 09 and Troy Watson posted them here on WW's after he

built them up. There were a bunch of low 700 gram wheels being made at that time.

So when you have a person so unscrupulous that they will steal a person's design, or steal

a design of a product or proto type that they see at euro/interbike and run to Asia and quickly

put it out into the market-place, it shouldn't surprise anyone that the product will be sub standard

or will fail. Because they haven't invested any research into the product.

So how do you expect this type of business person to treat their customers?
AEROLITUS-defender of the faith

kac

by kac

go4custom wrote:I'm soooo tempted to say I've had "pretty" good luck with my hubs and Mark. He has ALWAYS answered his phone, but but but...has rarely followed up with what was said and left with in the conversation.

Now, I can't figure out what to with my hubs. I have put bearings in the front twice, serviced the freehub twice and have Phil wood bearings awaiting the rear. So, do I keep riding them knowing how to fix them every 700-1000 miles? Pull the wheels apart, sell the hubs, but is anyone really gonna buy them? ($20 bucks maybe)

Yes, just so. My experience is virtually identical to yours.

KAC

notthatmark

by notthatmark

The phone number previously given on the website is now out of service. Actually, the phone number is no longer listed. Save your money and don't order from this guy. He took me for 300+ bucks and sent me a junk hub.

Like some others here, I placed an order for hubs and was pleasantly surprised by the quick responses to my questions. At that point he already had my money. The shipping took several weeks. The second order was incomplete and since he hasn't responded to numerous emails.

I have a 230 and a 225 hub. Neither would take a DT Swiss spoke. If you want to get American made hubs, go for White Industries or Chris King steer clear of C-4.

Cento

by Cento

This guy is a fraud he used lots of name I believed his real name is Mark Rogers,Im on the same boat a victim of flawed products..

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I'm another guy with a C4 front hub. Luckily, my rear wheel is a tried and true DT Swiss 240s.

I'm looking for a new front hub; anyone know if any trustworthy front hubs are close enough in dimensions to re-use my current spokes?

Something like a 240, T11, DA, etc.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

They made several different front hubs. Measure and see what's close.
formerly rruff...