Who's got the lightest real build - not a hypothetical.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JWolf

by JWolf

Are there really that many sub - 12 pound bikes out there that get ridden.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

You haven't been around here long enough.

Donald rides a sub 4kg nearly daily.
Gumgardner has a near sub 4kg that's a rather large frame (58-ish? It's custom)

There are plenty of people here on this site, on light-bikes.de, on velo-optimal (french) and other sites that ride sub-12lb bikes on a daily basis.
Jason at FWB can attest to knowing plenty of people that ride sub 10lbs every day.

All real, not hypothetical.

I'll state this though: the best ones are the builds that aren't just bought parts, but contain a majority of custom or tuned components.
Money can't buy you everything, Mr. Veyron.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JWolf

by JWolf

Thanks for the jab.

JWolf

by JWolf

And Jason helped me with my CA - sold me many of the parts for it - except the frame and wheels.

JWolf

by JWolf

And the question was meant to start a dialog so we could get some ideas on real usable sub 12lbs builds. Not meant as I think everyone is full of it and really rides a 22 pound Huffy.

For example, on my CA I have a Schmolke Seatpost and 3T cockpit (arx) and would like to shed some weight up there. I would like the cockpit to match and I can't figure out what stem to use with the Schmolke TLO bar. Most stems have logos and markings - and the 3T arx would not really match to well. I have read about the AX Zeuss, not too many positive reviews out there.

Maybe painting, or sanding my 3T would work - just to make it all black.

That was the purpose of the thread.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

The jab wasn't just at you, there are a number of folks who've come onto WW lately with more interest in spending $$$ (or Euro, or Pounds) than time and thought on their projects, and they've tended to project a fear of "don't do anything to it! think about the warranty!" onto others rather than "hey, I can make this lighter if I use my head, a little effort and ingenuity." It's a bit annoying, and it portrays this forum as a place where it's all about the "bling" when that couldn't be further from the truth. It's great that you can afford the nice stuff, and I would like to one day be in that financial position, but my sincere hope is that it is not the sole force behind your efforts to build a light, daily-use bike.

If the purpose of this thread is for tuning, there are countless threads of information on the how-to's and examples of what was done and what can be done. From sanding, to cutting, to anodizing vs. painting vs. powder-coating and far more. Years worth of helpful information.

To get to the really light builds you'll need to think about breaking "out of the box" that people tend to put themselves in.
If you really want things to "match" don't limit yourself to the brand. Break out the sand paper, re-paint, re-anodize or just straight up cut the components that you have individually selected for your desired goals. If someone takes a look at your bike and proclaims any kind of irk because the components aren't of the same brand, it's clear they don't actually ride and are more interested in posing or useless showmanship rather than improving their performance.

Warranties can be limiting. :wink:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

My bikes sub 12 and gets ridden daily rain or shine.
At 5.2kgs it's no where near the crazy light bikes that some people own round hear.
I'm 85kgs and ride between 200-400kms a week depending on work and around 10km of climbing a month. My bike is at a weight and spec that I find it totally reliable. If I was 20kgs lighter I could use a 4.sumthing kg bike in the same manner. As it is Im too heavy for alot of the uberlight bars and seat posts, etc. I use a kilo wheelset and they hold up fabulously. Lighter wheels would be nice but I doubt they'd last long with me on em

If I can build an 11lb bike thats a daily
I'm pretty sure smaller riders can get away with 10 or even 9lb bikes Used in the same fashion

konky

by konky

From someone who has spent far more than he should on a bling Storck a bit of positive feedback on the Ax Zeus stem. My 69g 100mm Zeus is very stiff. I absolutely love it. It looks really hand made and individual. Really classy. In my view one of the best things the excelllent Ax make.

sedluk

by sedluk

I took my 11.3 pound Cervelo R5ca out for a 116 mile (7,500 feet elevation gain) ride yesterday.

I also have never had a problem with an AX Zeuss stem. I have them on a number of bikes. I know a guy who had a problem, I think he over torqued his and it cracked. I use tubular glue instead of carbon paste where the handlebar gets clamped. I stick to 3nm and it works very well.

CBRE

by CBRE

I ride the XXXX out lof my 11# EVO, crazy rough roads, hills, at least two races a month, ect.
Curt Brown

2016 Cannondale EVO Etap 13.8#'s
2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO etap 13.7#'s
2017 Cannondale SUPER X Force 16.0#'s
2016 Cannondale FatCad2 28.1#'s
2011 Cannondale Carbon Flash 1 17.9#'s

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I have a Z3 sl that is 11.9 lbs that I ride regularly and if I didn't have any other bikes I would ride it everyday without hesitation. In fact the only reason I ride the other bikes is based on what ride is planned. If every ride had enougth hills, I would ride it every ride, but for me, I have fun choosing which bike to use based on what the ride is going to be that day. (that part of the fun for me)
It is as dependable as my 14.5 & 15 lb builds (with the exception of the recon alu cassette that shifts a little poorly, but that dosne't mean it is fragile, either)

It seems from my experience that 12lb can be very attainable now, even 11.5 lbs..
(56cm+ with pedals and everything, it still seems funny that weights are even talked about on builds that do not have pedals, cages etc...but I digress :D )

If I added (or changed) ;
-a differnet set of OTC (over the counter :D ) wheels like an AX with extralight & Ti spokes (my current light-weight set is 995gm)
-a different frame (not even exotic) (my current Z3 is about 1030gm)
-aerolite pedals

The weight would be about 10.4 lbs and still ridable.

That's just my experince, FWIW

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

sedluk wrote:I also have never had a problem with an AX Zeuss stem. ... I use tubular glue instead of carbon paste where the handlebar gets clamped. I stick to 3nm and it works very well.
That's the first I've heard of using tubular glue where the handlebars get clamped.

Rick

by Rick

Possibly related news:
Nationwide Helium Shortage Situation May be Looking Up
By Rachel Ousley
Story Updated: Jul 25, 2012 at 7:07 PM MDT
In response to the helium shortage, a bipartisan senate bill has been introduced called Senate Bill 2374 The Helium Stewardship Act to reauthorize the Federal Helium Reserve in Texas to continue selling helium beyond 2015.

dchesrown

by dchesrown

I try to keep up with Sedluk on my R5CA. 11.1lbs. with custom 11-29 Campy SR cassette /10.9 with light recon cassette that shifts like crap. Have the Extralite aluminum stem, it replaced my overtorqued cracked AX Zeus.... :oops:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I run campag 11 and really don't understand why people instit on recon cassettes and after market chains.. Why would ya. You hate a bike that shifts really well? Usually too the bikes in question have plenty of other places to save weight from..

I did a ride on my 11.6lb z5 recently that involved 130kms and 3800m of climbing( 12460 feet in old money, one climb at 3.8kms and 11.5% av gradient and another at 5km and 9.5% av gradient.. Brutal stuf). You just wouldn't ride that kinda stuff with a cassette made of cheese. You'd never make it home.
If you can't auctally use it in testing conditions what is the point of having parts on a bike that are likely to fail on you if you really go out and push your self..?

There are a number of very light bikes here that I don't beleave can be ridden normally in daily riding.
They are defantly special occasion bikes. :mrgreen: