MotoACTV GPS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheCannibal

by TheCannibal

Anyone got one of these? Look pretty smart compact for a GPS but does the battery last? George Hincapie seems to think so!

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/8G ... US,pd.html

spytech

by spytech

mp3 players do not use much power at all (VBR encoded mp3's might consume a bit more than CBR = constant bit rate, but its negligible). i would be more concerned with the gps chip and bluetooth, also how efficient the screen is. they dont specifically state they are using Bluetooth 4.0, but it does say LE = low energy, which is part of BT4.0. the main problem, is i do not think anyone makes headsets that are 4.0LE. i do like the idea should be great for running, even cycling i use 1 headset on right ear and left ear to the road.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheCannibal

by TheCannibal

Cheers, I was more interested in using it as a standard garmin style computer but there are doubts that the battery would last a five hour plus ride.

The following review states: 4) The Pure Cyclist: If you’re out there for up to 2-3 hours, this is a good bet. But if you’re going for century rides, this isn’t your best option – since the battery will die before then.

Just wondered if any one has one and uses it with bluetooth etc turned off how long it lasts.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/11/motorola-motoactv-in-depth-review.html

tovarin

by tovarin

Hi there,

I did buy one, used it for a while, but only in the gym. It was saving me to have to take garmin plus an iPod.
Still, the motoactv has gone the eBay way. Pointless maps with no routing capability on a tiny screen (and for example no back to start routing like garmin has), ridiculous battery life and also quite questionable water-proofing...
If I were you I would look elsewhere. I have gone 910XT for all tri stuff and Edge 800 for cycling and for the times where a map is needed.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Neat gadget if want to use it for working out, running and casual, shorter, road rides.

I'd say it's not appropriate for serious cycling and training. Or mountain biking. Have to set the sample rate pretty low to get good battery.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

J-

How is the interface for transferring music over? Is it iTunes-friendly?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

roca rule

by roca rule

Probably not as is an Android based unit.on a good note I do believe it supports ant+.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

jmilliron

by jmilliron

iTunes friendly. Super easy to add music.

ANT+. Automagically worked with my HR monitor and Quarq PM.

Battery and/or display and/or GPS sampling rate sucks. In other words, if you leave the display off and have sampling set low, battery does last a while. Didn't do tons of testing because...

Motorola tries to keep your gps data locked in their site. Pain to export it out then convert to a useable format. No cool with me.

My wife now uses the device for running. Works fine for her.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

Arky

by Arky

UPDATE

I was interested in this a while back. I started a thread on it and got a very cool response on WW. My wife got wind of it and gave me one as a gift. I have been wanting to update this thread with results from a decent ride, which has not happened since long before child #3 was born ;)

Conditions:
Monitored: HR strap, speed/cadence
Sample rate: 2 sec (1, 2, and 3 sec options)
Screen: always on
Conditions: hot as hell
Speed: Granny passed me
Duration: 6hr, 8min
Battery left: 5%

With two devices monitored, the device can deliver a long ride with two or three second rates.

I have used it in the rain one time.

What I do not like:
-Closed format as Jmilliron stated
-It cannot be customized to be just a cycling computer. It is always equally a pedometer, calculator, golf coach, eliptical, every sport they could think of device. You can configure the workout symbol that you swipe toward to be a road cyclist (with a pointy walmart helmet). Whenever you turn it on, it is a watch first. There is a setting that I discovered called "auto-run", which may help with this.
-You can see by my avatar what I think of Google. Not only is this device powered by android, Motorola mobile is now owned by them. Who here on earth deserves to have a great crystal ball/omnipresence to peer into our lives? Corruption always follows great power. The less Google I have in my life, the better. But that is a subject for a different forum.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com