Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:40 pm
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:48 pm 

Hi guys I'm looking at getting my first power meter. I am looking at either the rotor inpower or power2max spider for my crank. I've heard nothing but good stuff about the power2max spider but I can get the inpower from the lbs cheaper. Does anyone have any experience with either of these power meters? Any help would be appreciated :D many

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:26 pm 

You'll find many positive posts about p2max on this board.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:35 pm 

p2max does almost true 2 sided measurements and rotor's is only 1 sided, there's also the confidence of having one of (if not) the best power meter in the market with tons of reviews and users. If the price difference is not too much I wouldn't give a second thought and get the p2max.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:05 pm 

Power2max, every time, it's tried and tested. I run a type s and am really pleased with it.

Inpower is one side only which introduces an additional variable that you don't need into the mix, the dual sided one looks interesting but no-one produced a detailed review with a nice consistent data set that I've seen.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:04 pm 

mariovalentim wrote:
p2max does almost true 2 sided measurements and rotor's is only 1 sided

I am confused, doesn't the P2Max measure power based on deflection of strain gauges integrated into the spider on one side of the bike in the same manner as an SRM? Maybe how terminology is being applied the reason for my confusion, but from my perspective, without an actual measurement of torque applied by each leg, how are the P2MAX and SRM not considered single sided powermeters?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:24 pm 

P2M measure total power, and decides from your power pulses what is the split L/R.
Its not a straight forward 1L 1R, but includes so much pull up from the opposing side.

What is referred to generally as "single sided" just assumes a doubling up of L power

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:48 am 

I'm at the same point of decision curve as OP, so follow many sources to aquire as much info as possible; On slowtwitch is topic about P2max real life issues. It's not so "wunder meter" as many declare here.

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:57 am 

I have both SRM and InPower. I don't experience any measurable differences. Maybe if you are a track and sprint guy and want to meassure your 1 sec power single sided InPower is not the best option or if you have a big difference between your left and right leg power and this difference varies a lot. I also have Garmin Vector and with this I have observed my left right balance over time and at different intensity and have meassured that I generally have a 49/51 balance which I via the InPower software have compensated for.

My Simplon Pavo II

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:01 am 

stormur wrote:
I'm at the same point of decision curve as OP, so follow many sources to aquire as much info as possible; On slowtwitch is topic about P2max real life issues. It's not so "wunder meter" as many declare here.

Can you reference the concerns you've seen? I'm interested.

The only comments I recall from ST were the temp comp issues that the original P2M had, (which have long since been addressed). You seen something new?

Re L/R balance, I think one sided meters were great when the cost of 'full' power meters was high; stages essentially disrupted the market which we should all thank them for. But the differential between full meters and one sided is now close enough that, IMHO, it makes sense to go full and take that variable out of play.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:41 pm 

Giant DK wrote:
I have both SRM and InPower. I don't experience any measurable differences. Maybe if you are a track and sprint guy and want to meassure your 1 sec power single sided InPower is not the best option.

Looking like a power2max at the moment, I race mainly crits and I consider myself a sprinter. I read the inpower doesn't catch sprints that well. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:34 pm 

InPower caught my sprints fine. But, with that said, P2M is probably a better option. The most annoying aspect of the Rotor PMs is they keep coming out with new ones, making the others seem obsolete hahaha

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:13 pm 

Stueys wrote:
stormur wrote:

Can you reference the concerns you've seen? I'm interested.

The only comments I recall from ST were the temp comp issues that the original P2M had, (which have long since been addressed). You seen something new?

Re L/R balance, I think one sided meters were great when the cost of 'full' power meters was high; stages essentially disrupted the market which we should all thank them for. But the differential between full meters and one sided is now close enough that, IMHO, it makes sense to go full and take that variable out of play.

Topic on ST has several pages... spend some time and read the source ;)

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)