BB86 cups reusable?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Hi,
swapping out BB86 GXP for BB86 Hollowtech, in the process of hammering the old one out with the Park Tool. Everything I'm reading seems to indicate at the bearing adapters for BB86 are deformed upon installation to get the tight friction fit into the bottom bracket, which begs the question on whether or not you can re-use these adapters safely. Does this mean you have to throw away a perfectly good set of BB bearings every time you remove the pressfit bearings from the frame? Can you buy the adapters separately and pop in an old set of bearings? If this works the way I think it does, then it seems to imply that the threaded adapters like Wheels Manufacturing threaded PF bottom brackets may be a better value than at first glance, especially if you are going to buy an expensive set of ceramic bearings, as you can re-use the BB from frame to frame if needed.

Willem

by Willem

I would not re-use the PF cups once hammered out. They are not expensive to replace. No problem with used bearings re- installed provided they are in good condition.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Where can I find new PF cups for BB86?

A2ON

by A2ON

Ive been looking into this ahead of going a ceramic BB in my Propel (2016) BB86

Someone told me the cups could be reused but the bearings could be replaced thus saving heaps of cash rather than buying a off the shelf ceramic BB86 BB you can re use the shells / cups and then install a new bearing.

I have have to try this but I know having had the BB out if you use the park tool the cups come out well and could easily be re used.

I will try this when I muster up the cash for the stand alone ceramic bearing as even though cheaper than an off the shelf ceramic BB its still not cheap !

This may help you !

https://wheelsmfg.com/media/wysiwyg/bot ... ploded.jpg

ms6073

by ms6073

kulivontot wrote:in the process of hammering the old one out with the Park Tool.

If you are using the Park BBT-90.3 or similar, then the cups will be deformed and definitely should not be reused. While more expensive than the Park tool, a tool like the Enduro BB92/BB86 Puller/Press Tool, affords the ability to press in/out the bearing cups multiple times as well as replace bearings for most BB86 bottom brackets although more care has to be exercised for BB's with angular contact bearings or bonded inboard bearing seals like on FSA latest BB86 assemblies.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Willem

by Willem

kulivontot wrote:Where can I find new PF cups for BB86?

My bad, did not read your post properly. Thought you were talking Campy.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

So either a $150 tool to re-use $30 BB's or a $50 tool to re-use $80 "threaded" BB's. Either way I miss the days of $15 re-usable threaded BB's with a simple tool for installation.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com